COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Paris 6th.Arr Restaurants

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Paris 6th.Arr Restaurants

Message: We will be staying at The Madison Hotel across from St. Germain de Pres next week in Paris. We are interested in eating in the neighborhood around the hotel in the evenings. Maybe a nice Jazz venue afterwards.Cost is a concern something creative but not expensive. Any idea's appreciated
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:30 PM

La Maison du Jardin gets good reviews on the bonjourparis.com site. We didn't get there last September when we were staying at the Madison, but right around the hotel are a number of good ethnic restaurants. For inexpensive Italian and French food, Vesuvius is just down the block.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:42 AM
ira

Hi paree,

About 4 blks from your hotel are a number of small, not expensive restaurants on the Rue Guisarde and adjoining streets.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:50 AM

We like a number of restaurants in the 6eme, some not far from your hotel. My favorite is L'Epi Dupin on the rue Dupin. Also, Bastide de Odeon, across from Luxembourg Gardens, Rotisserie d'en Face on rue Christine, Ferme de St. Germaine on rue Dragon, Bouquinistes on the Quai de Grandes Augustines and Ze Kitchen Gallerie on the rue de Grandes Augustines.
Some of these are a 10 -15 minute walk from your hotel but in a wonderful neighborhood.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Add Chez Fernand on rue Christine, La Espadon Bleu , rue de Grand augustins, Le petit Benoit on rue St Benoit, Mezzaluna on rue de Seine if you feel like Italian, Fish on rue de seine

All within a 10 minute walk of the Madison
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Hmmm, I thought I responded to this post last night, but don't see my answer here.

Anyway--check out L'Arbuci on rue de Buci. They have decent, if simply prepared, food (emphasis is on seafood, but other things are available) AND jazz downstairs. And I don't think there's any cover for the jazz.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:51 AM

We stayed not too far from the Hotel Madison in December near the Marche St. Germain at Hotel Clement. We loved Chez Fernand. We also liked le Relais d'Entrecote, basically a steak and french fries bistro behind Cafe Flore off the Blvd. St. Germain. There is a great little pizza place next to the Hotel Clement I think it is called Golfe di Napoli. We didn't care for Cafe Vesuvio, very weird atmosphere and the food was marginal IMHO. Be careful stopping for a snack at the big cafes on Blvd. St. Germain. We stopped to people watch and have 2 plain ice creams that cost $20 because we didn't ask the price in advance. There is also a Monoprix a few minutes away if you want to buy snacks or drinks to keep in your room. There is a wonderful boulangerie, Fabien LeDoux, at 12 Rue Mabillon not far from you. There are lots of great places in the neighborhood. Lucky you!!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Aliska...I also have stayed at the Hotel le Clement. I'm leaving for Paris this Friday and will stay there again. For over a decade I stayed at Hotel de Seine on rue de Seine. When the manager of 35 years left in 1990, I moved on to find a new home in Paris. I had been staying on rue de Seine annually since 1980. Hotel le Clement is OK...I stay more for location than for the actual hotel. At least it's located on a relatively quiet square. And since I travel alone 99% of the time, I have to ALWAYS consider price and the 6th has gotten VERY expensive. From 1980-1990, my room at Hotel de Seine only went from $18.00 a night to $50.00 a night. Then when the hotel closed in 1990 for a one year renovation, the price jumped from $50. to about $130. a night as did most of the prices in the area. I know the hotels and hotel managers in that area and the prices. So, one of my hotel manager friends took me out one day and we walked nearly the whole 6th and went into hotels and were given sets of keys for me to check out the rooms...within my price range... and my friend thought that I would be comfortable at Hotel le Clement which I didn't know about until she had recommended it to me. I'd like to try the Madison, but the price is too high for me. It's enough having to pay 127Euros for a room at the Clement. Oh, as for restaurants...for healthy food, vegetarian, and delicious take out or eat in desserts...sugar free... try Guenmai. I've eaten there for 2 decades and the food is great. It's on the side street that dead ends at rue Buci between Blvd. St. Germaine and rue de Seine. Sophie is the owner and she and her family live above the restaurant.Happy Travels!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Guenmai, yes, the Hotel Clement is quite adequate, didn't imply any luxuries. But as there were 3 of us for most of the trip and as we became 4 for a couple of nights and they didn't say one word about my oldest daughter using a sleeping bag (their largest room was a triple), we think of them fondly. I am returning to Paris in September and am considering Hotel Bonaparte, which is supposed to be a little nicer than Hotel Clement. We spent 90% of our time out of the room so it was perfect for us. And having 3 metro stops within a few steps was great. The location was terrific. We had a view of the Marche and the church. They were also very nice about my husband bringing me coffee every morning from their breakfast place and only charging 3 euros while we munched on goodies from Fabien LeDoux. It was a small pot yielding 2 good sized cups of coffee. The staff was very helpful and nice, I would definitely recommend for those on a budget.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Vesuvius is mainly a student hangout, with prices to match, although we saw a number of older regulars. We've been eating there for years and don't remember anything weird about the atmosphere, except that it's a very, very busy place. The staff are primarily Italian.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:03 AM

I think if you are in that neighborhood and want pizza, go over to rue Canettes. It runs between rue du Four and Place St. Sulpice. There are at least 3 great pizzarias that all have wood ovens. Our favorite is Santa Lucia closer to the St. Sulpice end because it is a bit more spacious. They have great antipasti and pastas as well and great prices. Positano is good as well up the street. These aren't as fancy as some of the others, but very good pizza.

Meanwhile, I totally agree with the other restaurants listed like Espadon Bleu, L'Epi Duin, etc. Be forworned that you will most likely need reservations at most of the nicer places listed by mamc and jody depending on season and day of the week.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Underhill, I reported our Vesuvius experience under our Paris trip report. Strange Middle Eastern looking men came in and out the restaurant for the 90 minutes we were there, some came in empty handed and left with briefcases, some came in with briefcases and left empty handed. We ate there on our 2nd day in Paris on a Sunday night and left convinced that there is a very mysterious business going on there that is definately NOT food related!