Search

Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris

I am on a whirlwind tour through europe. I arrive I Paris @ 11am and depart the next day @ 12pm. Anyone have a good itenerary for that amount of time- or must see's? I was told to take a taxi tour- but my travelmate and I would like to physically walk through these sights. Absolutes would be the Chanel store (anyone know anything about location??) and the Vuitton store. Also my travelmate is requiring the Louvre also be a must. Unfornately they are not open late the days we are there. We arrive on a Monday and depart on Tuesday. Any adive on where to stay? Thanks !
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Louvre is totally closed on Tue i believe.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:44 AM

It's open until 6 on Monday.

For the stores, you can get addresses and maps here:

http://wfd.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?lang=en
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:50 AM

I would skip the Louvre. With that short amount of time I wouldn't want to spend it in a museum. You could always do a hop on hop off tour or the batobus up the river and get on and off. I would walk around alot and stop off to eat in interesting looking places or just get a crepe from a stand. I would never want to miss a glass of champagne or kir royal, maybe sitting outside at a cafe. I would try to get a view of Paris from a high spot, such as the Eiffel tower or Sacre Coeur or Arc de Triomphe or Pompidou (but that's a museum. I would find a great park/garden to walk through. The list could go on and on. Too bad you don't have more time.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 09:28 AM

I guess people do waht is most important to them. I would skip the Louvre, also, but I live in a city with good museums and often visit others that do, so it wouldn't be the main reason I'd visit Paris.

But, for some it could be an absolute, why not. So, you'll have to go there first, probably. That would definitely be higher on my priorities than going shopping. Vuitton is on the Champs-Elysees and Chanel is not too far away, somewhere to the SW of it, I believe, but still in the 8th arr. Not far, anyway.

YOu seem to have your time filled already, actually. But in the evenings, you can walk along the Seine, try to see one park while you're there (you could walk from Louvre to Vuitton through the Tuileries gardens, I suppose). Sit in a cafe somewhere (maybe Chez Francis down near place d'Alma which isn't too far from Chanel, and it has a view of the Eiffel Tower. Louvre -- Vuitton - Chanel -- cafe/view for evening. Now I don't know when designer shops close, but I'd guess 5-7 pm. So that only leaves a couple hours at most for the Louvre after you get checked in.

Maybe do the Louvre the morning you are leaving at noon (I presume you have the entire morning free and don't have to leave central Paris until noon), and just do the shops, cafe etc on Tuesday, that's probably better.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 09:28 AM

I meant do the shopping Monday.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We did a one day trip to paris with our kids a couple of years ago. [in the metro strike, which made it more fun].
Starting at about 10.30 [having got a free ride on the RER cos the ticket machines weren't working] we started at the arc de triomphe [ddidn't climb it though] then walked down to the eifel tower, where we spent about an hour, queuing, going up in the lifts, looking round etc.
Then we got a bateau mouche down the seine to Notre Dame, where we toured the cathedral.
By now it was lunch-time, so we spent an hour or so eating a E10 menu at one of the many little restaurants near Notre Dame on the south bank. Then we walked back to the north bank, and down to the Tuilleries. [good time to do the Louvre if you want when your feet have had a rest during lunch].
THen we walked up the Champs Elysees looking in the shops. there is a department store [sorry can't remember the name] on the north bank very near Notre Dame where you could shop. Alternatively if you stayed near the opera, you could shop at the galleries lafeyettes near-by. [probably open tuesdays, but their web-site will tell you].
Finally to our great relief we found that the RER back to St. Germain en laye [where our car was parked] was still running, so we jumped back on it for another free ride.
You have much more time than us, so you should easily be able to fit in the shopping, and the Louvre.
Good luck!