Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris 5th May 3 days - Last Minute suggestions !!

Apr 27th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Bonjour,

At last!!!! Next week to Paris. Husband's birthday. I have read about Restaurant Le Pamphlet, but don't know where it is, or if it is tres cher. Does anyone know about the home show at ExpoParis!?

Understand 8May Bush will be in Normandy and all shops will be closed?!!?...

We then rent a house in Bergheim in Alsace. So, any suggestions either in Paris - we are staying in the 7th Arr.

We will have a glass of wine for all of you!! Thank you for all your help!!
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Le Pamphlet is in the 6eme, I believe. I've been by, but never eaten there. It's very casual and pas cher.

Re: the home show at Expo Paris. Are you talking about the Foire de Paris at the Porte de Versailles Expo Center? If so, I have been there and if you have specific questions I may be able to help.
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:00 AM
ira

Hi r,

According to
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...040324-12.html

Pres Bush will be in Paris on 6/5 and Normandy on 6/6.
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:30 AM

But May 8 is indeed a holiday in France--Fete de la Victoire--and much will be closed.
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Whoops--ignore me re: Le Pamphlet. I was thinking of La Palette in the 6eme, which is pretty cheap. Le Pamphlet, while not extravagant, will be a bit more expensive, but two can probably eat there for under 100euros.
Apr 27th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Miss elle,

Thank you. Yes, it is Foire de Paris. What did you think of it? Is it a kind of Home Depot - do it yourself show. Or, is it new and interesting items for show and purchase?? And, Pont de Versaille. Okay by public transportation?

And Thank you everyone. And any take on Rick Steve's beloved Rue Cler? We have never been.
Apr 27th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Rue Cler is in the 7th Arr and there are a lot of Americans that stay in the Grand Hotel Leveque (a la Rick Steves). It is a nice area to pass through walking and seeing the shops, but I would not want to stay there. I found that the Rue Grenelle was a great walking street that stretches all the way from the 7th Arr (@ Ave de la Bourdonnais) through to the 5th Arr. I walked it daily to the Luxembourg Gardens; St. Germain des Pres; Quartier Latin, etc. It passes through the Rue Cler area and lots of other neat neighborhoods one might now always see if taking the Metro or other public transportation.
Apr 27th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Le Pamphlet is in the third arrondissement, in the northern part of the Marais, at 38 rue Debelleyme. We had dinner there a year ago when the fixed price menu was 27 euro. I believe I read a recent report where somebody said it is now 30 euro.
Apr 27th, 2004, 10:57 AM

The Foire de Paris was fun--but we didn't spend much time in the Home Show part, although we did pass through and see a few bathroom set-ups to die for. There may be a bricolage or do-it-yourself type section, but we didn't see it.

The event is huge and spread out over several multi-story exhibition halls. Home Depot on steroids, to say the least.

We were mostly in the Wine & Gastronomy hall, where they give out a lot of samples. Wine & Gastronomy may set aside some days as "to the trade only". I can't quite remember (probably because of all the wine samples).

The expo center at Porte de Versailles is easy to reach by Metro (Porte de Versailles stop), then just a short walk. The Metros to and from the foire were packed with people. It's a very popular event for the French, although not many tourists attend.