Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for lotions, potions to get in Paris

Oct 9th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

I posted this question a long time ago and wonder if any of you have made new discoveries that are not easily available in the US.

What is your favorite thing in general to bring home?

Last edited by Moderator1; Oct 9th, 2019 at 10:43 PM.
Oct 9th, 2019, 09:09 AM

Amin Kader in the Rue de la Paix sells products from Farmacia Santa Maria Novella.

Aesop Marais, Hwyl cologne. 👍

Thin,aristocrat 💈
Oct 9th, 2019, 10:36 AM

Go to one of the proper Parfumeries and let THEM find the perfect scent for you. You will not regret this! As a young woman I did this as a lark on my first trip to Paris. It was a ridiculous indulgence but I received constant compliments on the eau de toilette that I bought and was very sad when it was gone. The saleslady was wonderful.. I still remember her comments "pour une jeune fille - eau de toilette: pour une femme d'un certain age - parfume"
Check out his website:
https://www.sortiraparis.com/interes...-paris/lang/en
Oct 9th, 2019, 10:42 AM

Whatever you choose, start using the body lotion while in Paris. Then put it away and bring it out once you are back home for awhile. Will bring back the Paris memories with the scent.
Oct 9th, 2019, 11:59 AM

I'm not bowled over by "Parisian" body products anywhere near as much as I am by Moroccan and North African ones. I would go to the hammam in Paris or find a Moroccan store that sells black soap beldi lotion, rose water argan oil, white argile masks, jasmine and passionflower and hibiscus rose and other essential oils and perfumes and other amazing products - at half or less the price of the much-touted Parisian "beauty" products.
Oct 9th, 2019, 01:56 PM

This might be fun to explore,

https://musee-parfum-paris.fragonard.com/en/museum/
Oct 9th, 2019, 02:27 PM
mms

Crefloors—I visited the Fragonard factory in Eze and it was really interesting. The tour covered so much and I loved the items I purchased later.
Oct 9th, 2019, 02:28 PM
mms

Well I gave up the n the lounge a year ago so would not have seen this thread if it had not been moved FWIW
Oct 9th, 2019, 02:31 PM

i shopped at a department store for my lotion. i hadn't planned it in advance but turned out to be the best souvenir.

Last edited by Moderator1; Oct 9th, 2019 at 10:45 PM.
Oct 9th, 2019, 03:12 PM

Voltaren 2% cream or gel.

I care more about how I feel than how I smell or look.
Oct 9th, 2019, 03:25 PM
mms

tuscanlifeedit--omg, yes! That stuff is amazing and I always stock up when we are there. I also really like Nuxe lotions for everyday.
Oct 9th, 2019, 03:52 PM

Yes to Voltaren 2% but get the small tubes so you don't have to check bag. There is a pharmacy in the 8th that sells Marvis toothpaste. I had no clue till I saw people buying baskets full of it. I do like it. Best thing to do in Paris is walk in and get your hair cut and blown out in a salon. That has been one of my favourite experiences and plan to do again next visit. I was afraid to do until Belinda gave me courage.
Oct 9th, 2019, 04:02 PM

Another vote for Fragonard. I believe they have multiple places to purchase in Paris. Also, a perfume museum in the 9th, which I think also has a shop attached.
Oct 10th, 2019, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Macross View Post
Yes to Voltaren 2% but get the small tubes so you don't have to check bag. There is a pharmacy in the 8th that sells Marvis toothpaste. I had no clue till I saw people buying baskets full of it. I do like it. Best thing to do in Paris is walk in and get your hair cut and blown out in a salon. That has been one of my favourite experiences and plan to do again next visit. I was afraid to do until Belinda gave me courage.
Macross I love this! My first visit to my Paris salon was so intimidating. But I knew I couldn't fly back to SF every two months to get my hair colored. Now I adore my stylist and wouldn't give her up for anything. If anyone is coming to Paris and wants a referral, let me know. French only spoken but they are so nice and do excellent work.
Oct 10th, 2019, 09:56 AM

We are (now) expecting a fragrance trip report, gomiki
Oct 10th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

suze, And as far as the title, I couldn't figure out how to not put Paris in the title Thank you for the lotion suggestion. Very nice idea.

crefloors, we went to Fragonard last fall. I loved the history of the company but felt our guide was rushing us through to get us to the buying opportunity.

mms, I miss your posts in the lounge. Glad you are still around.

And thanks to all for the suggestions. Some new ideas here for me.
Oct 10th, 2019, 10:21 AM

I like the Phytomer line. I particularly like the Accept High Tolerance Cream since I have very sensitive skin.

https://www.phytomer.fr/en/soothing/30-accept50ml.html
Oct 10th, 2019, 01:12 PM

A lower down suggestion: We walk a lot in Paris. In the past, just one day of it got me at least one foot blister. A Parisian pharmacist recommended a foot cream that has prevented all further foot blistering: Akileine NOK renforcer anti-frottements. The 75 cc tube lasts almost forever, although over the years I have had to resupply myself occasionally. Practical, no pizzaz, but extremely useful.
Oct 10th, 2019, 02:13 PM

Belinda, just reading the post on how much you pay for a haircut, colour etc where you live. I recommend Paris for it all. It was a big protest day and so much was closed. The police were flying by with sirens whirling. They had laptops on to watch all the news. It was fun.
Oct 10th, 2019, 02:19 PM

There's also the wonderful carbon gel toothpaste. Great for teeth whitening and so much easier to use than the carbon powder, which makes a total mess of the sink.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO