Paris 1997-Only read for history.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was for cold's query about fast trips. DH's and my 1997 Paris trip definitely was fast. Friday-Tuesday. Forgive poor spelling but I quickly typed from photo labels. I can't believe we walked so much! We used metro a lot on this trip. We returned to Paris several times to get into many of the places we only passed. I used DK and made 3x5 cards with sights on one side (with hours) and b/w map on the other. Worked a treat.

Friday: Arrived at 8 a.m. DH booked Paris Vision (now ParisCityVision) for pickup. There was a desk called the Meeting Place and our guy was there.

One hour to get to Paris Etoile (bad traffic on Periphetique). Our hotel (Ceramique—Wagram St.—still there) is really close to Arc de Triomphe. Room not ready so checked bags and walked to Champs Elysee for coffee and Office of Tourism for museum pass. Is the office still there?

Had coffee and croissants at Café Fouquet’s for 79 francs (“F”) and DH bought Herald Trib. until room ready. Unpacked and off to walk:

From Arc de Triomphe along Champs Elysee. Pass Grand Palace, see Invalides to our right. Down to Place de la Concorde, through the Tuilleries to the Louvre. Stopped at Tuilleries for hot dog and ham/cheese sandwich for 103 F and not too good. Passed Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel also. Crossed Pont du Carrousel to Musee D’Orsay. Rue de L’Universite passing National Assembly, Invalides to Avenue Rapp where we grabbed deux cafes. On to Eiffel Tower. Saw tour boats on the Seine. Passed Eiffel Tower and crossed Pont d’Iena to Jardin de Trocadero and Palais de Chaillot. Eiffel lit with “J-932 avant l’an 2000”.

Walked along Ave. Poincare to Ave. Foch. Stopped for food and wine (cheese with nuts and honey and scrambled eggs with cheese for 150 F. Eggs good, cheese terrible. Two glasses of Medoc).

Back to room and still hungry. DH went out and got 2 big macs and a bottle of merlot.

Saturday: Went to Arc de Triomphe and climbed it (lift broken). Stopped in Info place again and bought HOHO bus tickets and took it to Grand and Petit Palais. Crossed Pont Alexandre III to Invalides and went in to see Napoleon’s tomb and the Domed Church. Then to Rodin Museum and took a tour. From there to Ave. St. Germain and Deux Magots. Visited Eglise St. Germain des Pres (1163) and St. Sulpice (1634). Onward to Luxembourg Gardens then Pantheon.

Along to Rue Mouffetard and Arene de Lutece. Crossed Pont de l’Archeveche to Ile de la Cite. Quick look in Notre Dame for rose window glimpse and then on to Ste. Chappelle for WOW moments.

Back to Notre Dame and tired feet dictated that we got on the HOHO bus that took us by Opera Garnier, Rue de la Paix, Elgise Madeleine, Place Vendome and back up the Champs Elysees to Trocadero. We ate coffee, beer, onion soup and an omelette for 117 F.

We take Bienvenue boat for a nice twilight ride down the Seine. Back at 10 but Eiffel Tower was too crowded so we strolled back to the room stopping at Le Directoire for beer and scotch (82F).

Sunday: Trained to Versaille. Upon first glimpse, I said, “No wonder they had a revolution!” Took inside tour only. Back to Arc de Triomphe and took the HOHO to get closer to Marais district. Saw the waiters’ race, big flower (and bunny) market. Over to Hotel de Ville and saw St. Gervais/Protais; St. Paul-St. Louis (1627), Hotel de Sully and finally Place des Vosges.

Over to Pompidou Center but long line. To Forum des Halles, Rambuteau Center, St. Eustache (1532), Garnier Opera. Our feet gave out and we taxied our area and had steak dinner at Le Tilsitt (500 F).

Monday: Metroed to Monmartre. Place Tertre, Lapin Agile, Sacre Coeur. Metro to Rue de Rivoli to Picasso Museum to Place de Bastille and new Opera house. Saw St. Germain d’Auxisses and ended at Louvre. Grabbed beer, coke and water at Louvre. Zoomed through like fools to see the big 3 and somehow got to the sub-level!

Struggled back up Champs Elysee and stopped at L’Entrecote de Paris for another steak dinner.

Tuesday: Back home!
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Went back and looked through the scrapbook. The HOHO bus was fine except around Notre Dame. It was very late so things got very jammed. More people than seats. This was in June so August must be worse.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Was going through TRs and just re-read this. I can't believe we had this much stamina.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Would someone please make a comment! I'd hate to lose this one.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 07:44 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
"Back to room and still hungry. DH went out and got 2 big macs and a bottle of merlot."

DH and I were in Paris one year (2007?) on a work trip for him. The evening of the formal dinner didn't go well; the entree was kangaroo tartare. In our fancy clothes afterward, we ducked into some little place for Jambon beurre and ate them under a lamp post. Big Macs would have worked, too.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 08:23 AM

What stamina! You made your time count.
Ah, the fondly remembered Herald-Tribune.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 05:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TDudette
Would someone please make a comment! I'd hate to lose this one.
I think you are unnecessarily concerned and misinterpreted the criteria. As I understand it your TR was totally safe -- lots of views.
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

44T, anything tartare gives me pause!

Thanks, Coquelicot--In our 40s, we could really move. We traveled in March and DH spent much time looking for NCAA basketball scores in the Trib.

There were only 2 replies, janisj, and they were both mine! I saw a thread that suggested those with 3 or fewer could get 'aufed'. Did I misread?

Thanks to all!
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 01:54 PM

I usually moved around fast like that - awesome - enjoyed reading and felt tired at the end!
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 02:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> Did I misread?<<

I think so

Per that Tech Support thread: Threads that had fewer than 10 views in 12 months, no posts in the last year, and fewer than 3 replies ever have been culled.

So . . . fewer than 3 total replies, no posts in the last year, AND fewer than 10 views in the previous 12 months. Not either/or, but all three criteria must be met. Your thread has nearly 500 views in less than 2 years so almost certainly safe.

Plus I also read it to mean there was a big clean up, not that it is an ongoing process. Hopefully IB will come back to that thread and provide more info.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pal.

janisj, I glommed onto the 3 replies--thanks to you also.