Going to Paris in late November

Old Oct 25th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Paris in late November

If you’ve been at that time, tell me what the crowds are like. I’ve been to Paris twice before — once in September and once in February.

Also wondering about weather. I have checked my guidebooks, etc., but I want first-person info.

Thanks!
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 07:54 PM

We were there for 2 weeks in late November-early December of 2017 and loved it. We’d been previously in May, July, August, September and October and I think this might have been my favorite time. Crowds were never bad except on the 1st Sunday free day at the Louvre. We enjoyed going to the Christmas markets which certainly had a lot of people but not so crowded that we couldn’t enjoy the experience.

Weather was cold but we were prepared for that. The only rain we got was on our final evening and even then it was just a drizzle. I think we may have been lucky with that but you never really know what you’ll get with the weather.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 08:35 PM

We've visited Paris in April, May, June, late Aug, Sept, Oct, late Nov/early December (2 times for 10-14 days each) for a total of about 25 weeks.. Early Dec was our favorite time there. We just returned from 3 weeks in Paris on Oct 7th this year.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 01:49 AM

Cold, maybe wet and very short days. It gets dark early and gets light late. Which I actually love. I like Paris best at night when the lights make everything more magical. You don't say how late in November. If you're lucky the Christmas Illuminations will be started. Last year they started on the 22 of Nov. I haven't seen anything yet about this year.

It will be more crowded on weekends, when the French are visiting the most popular places.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Arriving on Nov. 23. Thanks!
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 07:20 AM

Weather can be wet rainy and windy and not too cold or sunny nd very cold or a combination. No crowds. 1st and 11st of november treated like sundays.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 09:10 AM

Be sure to check out the Christmas Window displays at Galeries Lafayette and Au Printemps in the Opera area. Humungously popular with locals.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks, Pal, we will be there till the 14th of December. I have always enjoyed Kerouac's pictures. I am trying to decide what coat to pack. I had a knee length goose down last Feb and it was perfect. I think I will wait till the last moment.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Macross
Thanks, Pal, we will be there till the 14th of December. I have always enjoyed Kerouac's pictures. I am trying to decide what coat to pack. I had a knee length goose down last Feb and it was perfect. I think I will wait till the last moment.

Yes, have a look at weather trends and then pack. Also make sure your footwear is up to wet streets and the cold.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 10:44 PM

No one here can tell you what the weather is going to be like. Even weather history charts cannot predict the future.
If weather is that important then wait until a few days before and look at weather forecast site. But even then you may find they change what is predicted during your stay.
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 01:34 AM

We go to Paris late Nov for our anniversary almost every year. Here are our pics

Old Oct 27th, 2018, 03:01 AM

I was there in late November several years ago. You might get a sense of it from my trip report. Thanksgiving in Paris - Isabel goes to Paris and the Cote d'Azure

Obviously weather differs from year to year, but the timing of sunrise/sunset will be the same - and there will be more darkness, but Paris is the city of lights and everything is beautifully lit. So actually in that sense it's better than going in June when it doesn't get dark till so late you have limited time to enjoy it.
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I'm just wondering what coat to pack, too. I was there in February, and I had a wool coat. I might just take that kind of coat and layer and wear scarves, etc.

Of course I understand you can't know for sure what the weather will be like; I just wanted to get an idea of what others had experienced. Thanks very much.
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by ksbeem
Thanks for all the info. I'm just wondering what coat to pack, too. I was there in February, and I had a wool coat. I might just take that kind of coat and layer and wear scarves, etc.

Of course I understand you can't know for sure what the weather will be like; I just wanted to get an idea of what others had experienced. Thanks very much.

Layer, take your wool coat and if you're still cold, pop into H&M to buy something.
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 10:21 PM

Hi ksbeem,

I usually visit Paris in the winter, Nov - Feb; I like the look & feel of the city then, especially as the crowds are fewer. In November, I would be happy with a wool coat.... but I would also bring a nice, heavy cardigan. On nice days, you might be fine with just the cardigan and a wool shawl, and on those bad Paris winter days (wind and rain together), you might want to wear everything: scarf, sweater, hat, and coat.

On one of my trips, I was meeting a friend from NYC in Paris. She checked the weather report the day before she flew, and it was 60 deg, so she brought a jacket. On the day she flew, the temp went down to 40 deg, and it never went any higher. I gave her my sweater, and she wore it underneath her jacket, and she bought a few long-sleeve t-shirts, a shawl, and a hat. We spent two days looking for a coat for her, but they were either too expensive or too ugly. I had spent many hours creating an itinerary to her wishes ("cheese, churches, & wine"), but of course the plan was totally trashed because of her needs, and it never recovered. I would really try not to have to buy something when you arrive!!

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 10:57 PM

Been to Paris in November a few times. Once got stranded by an ice storm, other times just cold and damp. Layers for sure. A long sleeve thermal silk t shirt and long johns are great and take up little room in the luggage.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 03:25 PM

Jamikins, your pictures make me smile!
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 03:41 PM

Ahh thanks Dee Dee!
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 03:56 PM

I suppose the large open-air skating rink in front of the Hotel de Ville will be in operation is you want to skate in a divine setting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pari...w=1280&bih=625

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -