Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Parent Traveling with Children, Papers Giving "Permission" Needed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have traveled overseas with my children before and have yet to run into any problem.

but, I recently saw, and unfortunately did not save, an article (New York Times Sunday?) concerning a father who was going on vacation to Mexico with his daughter.

They were denied boarding for the trip as he did not have a paper giving him permission to take his daughter out of the country.
As a result, the trip was delayed a couple days.

My question, did anyone else read this?
anyone know where I can check this info out?

I will be taking a trip over Spring Break with my 2 children (I am custodial parent)
BUT, am also taking a 16 yr old friend of my son with us, so I would need something from his father too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you !!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:44 AM

I know you need this going out of brazil to america.

try the various consulate offices on line.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi nanb,

Do a search here on "children and permission" and you will find a host a recent threads that address this topic. You don't say where you are travelling (some countries require more specific info) but if I were taking someone else's child out of the country, as a minimum I would have a notarized letter granting permission to travel and to provide emergency medical care.

When I took my daughter to London last January, I carried a notarized letter from my husband acknowledging and agreeing to the trip. We were never asked for proof but we were questioned leaving the US and entering the UK why our last names were different. (I kept my maiden name). Could have been a random event but guess you can't take too many chances these days.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:29 AM

We took our daughter's best friend on our cruise last summer and they required a notarized letter from her parents. When we inquired they told us that custodial parents also had to get a notarized letter from the other parent. Why not just get one to be on the safe side?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:37 AM

My two children went on a cruise with my husband and some of their aunts and uncles this summer and the cruise line told me they would not be allowed to disembark without a notarized letter from me giving them permission to travel with their dad, since I wasn't on the trip.
I just do this as a matter of routine these days. Why take the risk of being detained or even denied permission to go?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:43 AM
cmt

NanB: I think this may be the article: http://query.nytimes.com/search/arti...tures%2fTravel
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:48 AM
cmt

P.S. Nanb, I wanted to e-mail it to you, but that option didn't come up. I e-mail NYTimes articles often, but maybe the e-mail function comes up only for current articles. If you can't get access to it for some reason, let me know, and I'll do something else.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:50 AM

If you are flying US to Mexico and only one parent is on the trip you will indeed need to show proof that the other parent either is dead (death certificate will suffice)or consents to the travel (notarized letter of authorization stating yur and the child(ren)'s names and travel dates.) This is deemed necessary because of past problems with noncustodial parents who illegally take their kids to Mexico to escape US jurisdiction. You may be asked to produce the document prior to boarding the flight (and denied boarding without it) as well as at Mexican immigration.
In terms of traveling with other people's children, you should have similar documentation signed by BOTH parents, and you should also obtain a temporary power of attorney for things such as consent for medical care (note that this does not obligate you to pay for the care, only gives you the authority to provide consent for treatment.) Also a good idea to bring along a list of any food and/or medication allergies, pertinent medical history.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for the info!
I'll re- read the article, and then follow up.
I do know about a paper giving medical permission , we unfortuantely had to use this when we took another of son's friends to Maine, and he fell out of a rfat!
Ended up going via ambulance to a major medical center for MRIs and the whole bit- scary.

My form was not notarized, but they accepted it, thank godness!

Thanks again.