Better Neighborhood-Belgravia or Pimlico

Jan 5th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Better Neighborhood-Belgravia or Pimlico

Am trying to decide between Lime Tree Hotel on Ebury in Belgravia or Windemere on Warwick Way in Pimlico. Believe Windemere may be a slightly better hotel as we would have a superior room on an upper floor, but is there a significant difference in quality of neighborhood. Have read all the threads and it seems like the Belgravia side of Vic Station is considered a better area than the Pimlico side. What is the difference? Are both safe at night? Would appreciate all opinions. Thanks.
Jan 5th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Really absolutely no difference - the two are about 1/4 mile apart.

Pick the hotel you like the best.

Jan 5th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Meant to add - both Belgravia and Pimlico have posh streets - but neither Warwick or Ebury are "upmarket". They are pretty similar w/ lots of decent moderately priced small hotels.
Jan 5th, 2004, 08:06 AM
ChatNoir

Janis, do you have any "old favorites" in hotels or areas that stay in or do you stay at new places each time?

Jan 5th, 2004, 08:11 AM

No - can't help you there. I almost always rent a flat when in London. 80% of the time I rent one somewhere in the southern part of Pimlico, and the other times either in S Kens or on the southbank near Tate Modern.

But staying in Pimlico so much, I do know the area very well. I'd just go with the one that looks the best to you. I'm sure both have comments here on Fodors.

It is a very convenient area for sightseeing and transport because Victoria tube, coach and mainline stations are all right there.
Jan 6th, 2004, 12:04 AM

I personally prefer the area around the Lime Tree Hotel. From there, you are right around the corner from Elizabeth Street, which is a charming little street with some lovely shops.

Of course, I've never stayed at either hotel, so I can't speak to the quality of them.
Jan 6th, 2004, 07:58 AM

Have you checked www.tripadvisor.com to see if any of the hotels you are considering have been reviewed there?
Jan 6th, 2004, 08:02 AM
ChatNoir

Thanks Janis, I'm using you as my "gold standard" advice for travel to London.

Jan 6th, 2004, 09:01 AM

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me, and it may not matter to Chiquita anyway, but as I recall, isn't the Pimlico tube stop one of the grungiest in all of London? Seems to me that the last time I went through it reeked of urine and had a BUNCH of really scary types hanging about...
Jan 6th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Nope, DiAblo. Pimlico tube station is just fine. And even if it weren't, the two places Chiquita is asking about are closer to Victoria than to Pimlico tube.
Jan 6th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Ah, Janis, right you are! Sorry for spouting off, I just checked my notes and the Tube stop that gave us alarm was Vauxhall...it was grim, to say the least.