Pantheon or Palais Garnier + Adapters

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here is my dilemma. I'm leaving for Paris in less than a week and would like some suggestions. What would be a better option for first-timers (I've been to Paris before, but everyone else that I'm going with has not), visiting the interior of the Pantheon or the interior of Palais Garnier? I've seen both - I'm biased though, I love anything regal, so of course Palais Garnier is my choice, but what does everyone else think? Out of these two places which one did you enjoy the most?

Oh, we can't visit both due to time constraints. The Louvre, Orsay, Versailles, blah, blah, blah are all on the itinerary.

One last miscellaneous question: Do I only need one outlet adapter for Paris, Barcelona, Rome, and Venice? I know for a fact that I don’t need a converter, only adapters.
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:30 PM
P_M

I will address the adapter question. The places you named all use the same 2-pronged plugs so yes, it's the same adapter. If your appliances are dual voltage then you are correct, you do not need a converter. If they are not dual voltage and you attempt to use them w/o a converter, be prepared for a fireworks show. ;-)
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM

As to the first part of your question I think you answered it yourself in the question itself... for you the choice should be the Opera Garnier.
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

I did notice that I answered my question within my question. Opera Garnier it is!
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:36 AM

You can't compare the two places, they are completely different, so there is no answer except what your personal interests are. If you read about these buildings and what they are and what they are for, you will have to decide based on your personal interests. I don't understand your comment at all about how the Palais Garnier is your choice because you love anything regal. It seems the Pantheon would have more regal ties than the opera building, since it was ordered by Louis XV, although the building and crypt are probably of interest mostly to those interested in historic French personnages, perhaps especially literary, and history in general (it was also the headquarters of the Commune, I believe). It was originally a church and functioned as such at various times.

The Garnier is an opera building, and is very beautiful for its marble and other features, the ceiling, etc., but I don't know why you'd obviously choose it because of regal connections or what you even mean by that. I could understand that in connection to Fontainebleau, or royal residences, etc., but not in relation to the opera building.

Since you seem to have no real interest in the Pantheon, I think you should choose the opera for that reason, but these are not competing attractions in any way I can think of.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

By regal, I mean to the eye. Obviously, I know the history of the Pantheon, but by just looking at the two buildings Palais Garnier is, in my opinion, more opulent, a type of royal "gilding" that one would find in the great palaces of Europe. Anyway, that was just my opinion and I don't see why it offended you.

Cheers.