Laptop voltage question

Search

Laptop voltage question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laptop voltage question

I wasn't sure quite where to post this but I'm hoping someone who travels from the US to Europe with a laptop will have an answer.

I'm going to Turkey next month and will be bringing my laptop, which is a fairly new Toshiba (about a year old). When I went to buy a voltage converter, the person at the travel store said many late model laptops have automatic voltage converters built in, so I may only need an adaptor for the plug. I called Toshiba and the person I spoke to confirmed this and said I don't need to do anything (no switch or anything--I was expecting maybe there would be something similar to my hair dryer which has two voltage settings). Ok, that's good news, but I'm still a little nervous about plugging my laptop in in Istanbul and having it burn out on me due to the higher voltage! Is there anyone who has experience with this who can reassure me that this is really going to work? Thanks.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:19 AM

The power supply (that &quot;brick&quot; that you plug into the wall) will be marked <b>Input: 120-240VAC</b> or something similar. You can use that with only a plug adapter.

If it only lists one voltage, such as <b>Input: 110VAC</b>, then you will need to take a small transformer with you. Make sure you are getting a transformer, and not a converter intended for high-power appliances.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM
J62

Yes, it will work fine.

Take a look at the rectangular box on the power cord. It will say something like &quot;input 110-240V AC, 50/60Hz&quot;, which means that it will work around the world. You will need a plug adaptor, of course.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:23 AM

99.99% of all laptops can handle any voltage between 100 &amp; 250v with no problems at all

And if you don't believe Toshiba who make the thing why should you believe us?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Wow, that was quick, thanks! I got out my reading glasses and deciphered the very small print on the &quot;brick&quot; and it does indeed say 110-240.

As for the last question, well, the person from Toshiba customer service kept calling me &quot;sir&quot; and then correcting herself (I'm not a sir ;-)), so there was a small smidgeon of doubt in my mind that that she understood my question and I just wanted to make sure.

Much appreciated!