Pamukkale or Olympos?

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pamukkale or Olympos?

Hi,

Trying to figure out our schedule and it looks like we're trying to fit in too much. We only have 10 days in Turkey and want to see Ephesus, Pamukkale, Olympos, Cappadocia and Istambul. Is there anyway to do this and not want to die? If not, which should we eliminate Olympos or Pamukkale?

Thanks
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 08:08 PM

honeymoon:

See Pamukkale...you won't be disappointed...amazing sight. I have some very good pre-digital scanned pix if you wish...I have to send them via attachment...so write to e-mail address.

stu T. [email protected]

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Honeymoon, congratulations on it! I'm sure you'll get a lot more helpful suggestions if you post a draft itinerary so people have something specific to react to.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM

Yes, do put up your proposed timing as that will help. I assume you will be flying to Cappadocia and to Ehesus from Istanbul? That will help to get more in but costs more.

I would skip Olympos as it was our least favorite part of our trip. I am just getting up my pics of Pamukkale and we loved it. I would highly recommend staying a night there even tho it can be a day trip from Ephesus...it is a long one.

I hope you are going in spring or fall when Pamukkale is less crowded. The Sacred pool does really make you feel wonderful.

Olympos is REALLY rustic and funky, and the tree houses are just shacks on stilts. It is pretty, but unless super funky is your thing, I would pass.

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. My itinerary is

Day 1 See Ephesus (drive out to Pamukkale and stay overnight)

Day 2 See Pamukkale (drive to Olympos)

Day 3 Olympos

Day 4 Depart Olympos and fly to Cappadocia (leave around 4:30pm and get in around 10pm)

Day 5 Cappadocia

Day 6 Cappadocia

Day 7 Depart Cappadocia- Arrive Istambul around 12pm

Day 8 Istambul

Day 9 Istambul

Day 10- Istambul/leave for home

If needed I have one extra day I could use. We're going to Greece first and I could pull a day from there.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:10 PM

HM2007,
If your interest are archeology, then go to Olympos and skip Pamukkale. The sight is certainly amazing to be in the white water basins, but once beyond the initial amazement...
If you can transfer one day from Greece to Turkey, then add a day to Istanbul. It will be the mayor highpoint of your trip.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 01:13 AM

I presume you're staying somewhere near Ephesus the night before Day 1?

I'd skip Pamukkale, which I found disappointing, but if you do go there, make sure you see the ruins of Hierapolis, the adjoining ancient city.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 03:51 AM

Speaking of Pamukkale, I'd appreciate learning how similar the sight is to Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone National Park from people who have been to both.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:24 AM

honeymoon:

I don't agree with "nonconformist's" assessment of Pamukkale...that's part of the fun in traveling and on this forum, different opinions, honest discussion, etc.

In driving from Eph to Pam, please get off the main highway and see Aphrodisias...incredible ruins among the poppy fields. Easy access off the road, then on to Pam. When we last visited Aph we were literally all alone at the site. I'm sure that was some kind of very rare phenomenon.

Mike Buckley: having been to both, I would vote for Pam (wife agrees) hands down...the two sites are vastly different..Pam is truly a unique site among the many in Turkey (a unique country to begin with!)

Since Hieropolis is literally adjacent to the cliffs of Pam, you will readily see it, Honeymoon

Stu T.

Honeymoon: You will have a most menorable visit to Turkey in any case!! Happy adventure!

Stu T. (this is a good article on Pam)

http://www.bitez.net/turkey/pamukkale/
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Congratlations........
Your itinerary is doable especially if you have possibly an extra day.

Having said that if you are on honeymoon I would suggest to narrow the itinerary a bit either by skipping Olympos ( I like it but why rush so much) Pamukkale is close by when you are at Ephesus - Selcuk.
Hierapolis & Aphrodisias are must seen places while you are in the region.

When is your vacation? Direct flights from Antalya to Kayseri ending on 2nd September unfortunatelly and hope they will extend it. Calculate at least 1,3/4+ hours from Olympos to Antalya Airport.

Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Yes, Aphrodisias is lovely, and definitely quieter than Ephesus which gets crowded out with people from cruise ships.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Highly recommend the Olympos Lodge at Olympose.. http://olymposlodge.com.tr
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:58 PM

<If your interest are archeology, then go to Olympos and skip Pamukkale.

Having been to both, this comment really surprised me. Just above Pammukkale in easy walking distance is the best preserved stadium in Turkey and Pammukkale has been in existance for 14000 years.

You even get to SWIM with ancient ruins there in the same Sacred Pool as ancient kings and emperors, so not like anything else on the planet with lots of archeological interest.

Aphrodisias on the way is also wonderful and there was no one in the museum when we were there.

I have just uploaded pics and info on these sites on our blog:
http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/blog.html

My friend called it "swimming with the gods"! Also you can visit the travertines 24 hours a day so keep your stubs and walk up and do it in the moonlight all by yourselves if you would like a special thrill.

I think you are doing too much tho. I can not imagine doing Ephesus in one day as there is the museum that is a must see and Mary's house and St Johns Basilica and Sirince which all add to the visit. We were there a week and loved it.

There was also NO one at Ephesus when we were there in high season as we timed it on the right day and were there when the gates opened. So there are ways to escape the crowds and heat even in high season.

It is a very long drive to Pummakale and Aphrodisias so keep that in mind. Olympos is fun, but I don't think you have time for it and I would still eliminate it.

Where and how long will you be in Greece and what time of year are you planning this. Is it your honeymoon? What kind of budget do you have? These are things that could help us advise you as well.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. All of this is very helpful. We've been looking at some of the sites people are saying we should add (ex. Hierapolis and Aphrodisias). We have about a week or so in Greece. We're working out a plan right now and I'll post it as soon as we're done. Hopefully, in the next coupld of hours. Thanks again for all the help.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

I posted another message, but wasn't having luck so I decided to post the itinerary here as well. Basically, we're down to 2 itineraries which slightly differ (a few days in the middle are different) and are looking for impartial feedback as to which is better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Itinerary

(Same)

2nd Santorini
3rd Santorini
4th Santorini
5th Santorini (ferry to Naxos)
- depart 3:30pm
- arrive Naxos 5:30pm

6th Naxos
7th Naxos
8th Naxos (fly to Cairo)
- depart 4:40pm
- arrive Athens 5:15
- depart Athens 12:5am
- arrive Cairo 1:45am

9th Cairo -see Pyramids & Sphinx
10th Cairo - Nile/tour around
11th Cairo fly to Izmir
- depart 2:30am
- arrive Istambul 5:45
- depart Istambul 7am
- arrive Izmir 8am

Here is where we differ (both are fairly busy)

Alt. 1

11th Izmir
* tour ruins in Ephesus
* drive to Afrodisia/Pammukale

12th Pammukale
* see hot springs & Roman Theater
* drive to Olympos (see Eternal Flames)

13th Olympos (fly to Cappadicio)
- depart 4:20pm
- connect in Istambul
- arrive Cappadicio 10:15pm

Alt 2

11th arrive Izmir 8am and drive to Afrodisia/Pammukale (sleep)

12th Pammukale
* hot springs & Roman Theater

13th Pammukale
* drive back to Ephesus and tour ruins
* Fly to Cappadicio
- depart Izmir 9:45pm
- connect in Istambul
- arrive Cappadicio 1am

Same again

14th Cappadicio
15th Cappadicio
16th Cappadicio (fly to Istambul)
- depart 8:30pm
- arrive Istambul 9:50pm

17th Istambul
18th Istambul
19th Istambul
20th Istambul- leave for home
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:12 AM

Last alternative sounds better. Also you may check the Sun Express direct flights to "Cappadocia" which is 3x weekly.
Alternatively: Visit Ephesus first than go to Pamukkale. If you fly to Cappadocia via Istanbul, instead of returning to Izmir fly from Denizli saves you at least 4 hours driving time.

Happy travelling
Murat
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Having read your itinerary I would take a day off Santorini and a day off Naxos and stay the extra time in Cairo. Between Giza, Old Cairo, Egyptian Museum, Saqqara, Memphis, and the Citidal there is easily 3 amazing days. More amazing than an extra day on Santorini or Naxos.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Though I haven't been to Naxos, I agree with Diane based on my time in Santorini and Egypt.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the ideas and tips. We were so thrilled when we learned about the airport at Denizli.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 12:22 AM

This all about Fodors and good to see it works.
It makes a difference when you get the local information from people dedicated to their region and I am happy to hear that Denizli Airport will effect positive to your travel plans.
5 years ago when I was travelling to Greece I also got very valuable informations and made my planning so much easier as for the 1st time traveller....

Happy travelling,
Murat