Search

Palma

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palma

Would four nights in Palma de Mallorca be enough to get a good feel for the city and do a couple of day-trips? Focus would be on walks, photography, food, architecture and nature. Shopping and beaches not important priorities. What day-trips do you recommend. Going in May and will not have a car
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 01:14 AM

Yes to 4 nights will give you a feel for Palma.

A very pleasant day trip is by the lttle train to Soller, and then tram down to Port de Soller....

Train - Tren de Sóller
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 01:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Palma is not a big place and a couple of days will be plenty. See the Cathedral and wander around the town and have a look at this guide:

https://www.seemallorca.com/reviews/...ma-area-684287

Another vote for Soller if you have no car, maybe even a bus or taxi to Valdemossa-well worth a trip.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 02:14 AM

You can also walk from Sóller to Port de Sóller, which is what we did. It's not a very interesting walk (along the main road) but we needed some exercise and didn't want to wait for the tram.
Valldemosa is another nice excursion, either by bus (30 min.) or by taxi (20 min.).
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 03:55 AM

Yes, 4 days will give you a nice taste of Palma. Unfortunately not having a car can be a bit constraining if you want to visit other parts of the island. The most obvious day trip from Palma is the train to Soller as others have mentioned. Soller in May is lovely along with Valdemossa. The pretty little town of Deia is worth dropping by but without a car this could be a bit of a rigamarol to use the bus.

Alcudia is a great walled town with some fantastic architecture, I wouldn't bother with Port de Alcudia which is geared more towards beach tourists, a much nicer port area is Port de Pollenca.

I would advise against visitng the Drach Caves as it's quite a gimmicky tourist rip off in my opinion. You're rushed through the caves by your guide before reaching an auditorium beside an underground lake, you'll wait there for the place to fill up which can be as long as 50 minutes if you're unlucky to be the first to be seated before being briefly serenaded by a handful of musicians as they sail past you. You're then left to battle with seveal hundred people to exit out of a small doorway and back to ground level. A much better option is the Caves of Arta, they're equally as impressive (even more so when you take the entrance into consideration), they're less crowded and you have longer to view and take in the caves plus the nearby town of Arta is a great place to explore with some superb photo opportunities.

I can't advise you on public transport logistics as I've always driven in Mallorca. All I will say is that Mallorca is a fantastic place to drive with the exception of Palma which is reasonably busy and parking can be difficult to find. If you could secure lodging with parking then I would defintely advocate renting a car.