4 days in Mallorca car or n?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Mallorca for 4 nights as part of a trip through Spain next May. We will be flying in from Barcelona We are not party people nor shopping or even want to spend all our days on the beach (although love the beach ) we love to walk, hike explore -- with only 4 days we are not sure where the best area would be to base ourselves and if we will need a car or not. What is public transit like on the island? what is the best way to get around to see the top sights? Any advice re both car no car and area to base ourselves would be appreciated
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 02:43 PM

I'll let others advise on location but we loved staying in a villa near Soller. You will definitely need a car if you want to explore nearby areas.
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 06:20 PM

We spent 8 days in Mallorca a few months ago, two nights in Palma, two nights in Soller, and four nights at a beach resort.

Having a car would allow you to drive the spectacular road (MA-10) that winds, climbs and dips through the Tramuntana mountains (Serra de Tramuntana) from Andratx to Soller. You could also drive to scenic Cap de Formentor. You could visit wineries, beaches and coves, get to the start of walking tracks, and other attractions not easily accessed by public transportation.

If renting a car, make sure your accommodation has parking. In Soller, we stayed at Gran Hotel de Soller and it had ample parking. We could also walk to restaurants and shops. The views from the rooftop pool were fantastic.

We didn't have time to do any walking on the island, but thought we would and researched it. This is a link to walking tracks on Mallorca:
http://www.infomallorca.net/media/80...r-Mallorca.pdf

Palma is well served by buses. Services to other areas more limited. Here's a link to interurban bus routes, train lines and metro lines:
https://www.tib.org/en/web/ctm/mapa-simbolic
There is also a scenic railway that goes from Palma to Soller, and then a tram that goes from Soller to Port de Soller.

My knowledge of Mallorca is quite limited. Postings on the Trip Advisor Mallorca forum were helpful in planning our trip. Best to ask there.
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 02:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd recommend staying on the north side of the island, preferably in Pollenca or Deia if you want to walk. Pollenca is for me a quintessentially Spanish town, even in the summer and it has some good hotels and excellent restaurants. You will need a car if you want to explore and Id recommend the Monastery at Lluc, Sa Calobra and follow the other end of the MA-10 down towards Soller and Deia.

Lots of good trails and spectacular scenery.