Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Majorca 9 days - change hotels during trip?

Old May 28th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We plan to stay in Majorca for 9 days this July. Then we hope to somehow find a ferry to travel to Minorca for another 8 days.

While in Majorca, should we split up the hotel to see different parts of the island? We are a well traveled couple with a 2 year old baby. We are interested in nature, beautiful sandy nature filled beaches, hiking, cobblestone streets with wonderful cafe culture restaurants and boutique shops, and historic villages, scenery.

No nightclubs, no big box resorts, no cheesy low end things.

From what I've read, it seems like the northeast caters to more sophisticated or civilized families. But we also love mountain scenery and I imagine we will want to explore the island. A lovely swimming pool plus a scenic calm water beach are extremely important to us nearby.

Should we maybe split up the trip and stay in two or three locations? We don't want to spend hours and hours driving each day to get from one place to another. Please advise.

Also, could anyone recommend how to drop off a rental car and get to the ferry that goes to Minorca on our last day? Thanks!

Soho, NYC
Old May 28th, 2017, 07:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We spent two weeks in the north of Majorca when our kids were about 9 & 6, and we didn't run out of things to do. we got as far as Deia in the west and we also went up onto the mountains to visit a famous monastery, though I can't remember its name now - it's about 20 years ago.

We stayed in Alcudia which has a lovely beach and I'm sure that the hotels round there have swimming pools too; i know that ours did.

Bearing in mind the fact that children are usually happier when they are in one place, I would find a nice place to stay in that area and stick to it; I'm sure that you will love it.

Did you know that there's a ferry from Alcudia to Ciutadella di Menorca?

Here's a link to the Direct Ferry website:

http://www.directferries.co.uk/ferri...OA-GgIcd_D_BwE
Old May 28th, 2017, 08:27 AM

Most of Mallorca can easily be traversed in about 90 minutes. I'd stay in one spot preferably somewhere on the west or northwest coast. If you haven't booked yet, I'd do so asap as the island is very popular and places get booked well in advance.
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:06 AM

I got back from about the same number of days in Majorca in April.

For me it was 3 nights in Palma, 2 nights in Port de Soller and 4 nights in Port de Pollensa.

Yeah I didn't go to the beach clubs or resorts, though I think it was too early for those places to be open. The weather got up to about the mid 60s but the water was probably too cold for swimming.

While it doesn't take long to get from the NE corner (Port de Pollensa or Alcudia) to Palma, that's on the main freeway, which is a straight shot.

If you want to visit the little coastal towns and beaches, you're on winding roads where you can't drive as fast. So for instance I visited Sa Calobra from Port de Soller, where it was a good 60-90 minute drive each way because you're on winding, narrow roads which you're sharing with a lot of bicyclists, whom you can't always pass right away.

But it's a spectacular drive and Sa Calobra is also spectacular itself.

Same thing when you get to Cap de Fomentor out of Port de Pollensa. Not as long a drive but the road will be packed especially in July. Yet it is spectacular and worth doing.

One thing I didn't do too much of is hike. There are a lot of hikes around Port de Soller, for people who are serious hikers willing to spend most of the day -- 4-5 hours or more and doing some ascent and descent.

If you plan to do hikes like that, it might be a good place for a base. The other base could be more along the E or NE part of the island. Again similar hiking opportunities and a good base for visiting attractions.