Palazzo Farnese - Rome

Search

Palazzo Farnese - Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palazzo Farnese - Rome

Did somebody visit this palace (French Embassy) in the last time?
I read that you have to book tickets some months in advance. I am not sure yet about the dates of my flights, etc and I would like to hear from you if how you proceeded to visit this palace.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 05:04 AM

According to Fodor's travel guide: Hours: Tours by appointment only on Mon. and Thurs. at 3, 4, and 5 pm. Closed July 24 to Sept. 7

The Palazzo recently hosted a special art exhibit that was open to the public but I believe that closed in April 2011. Information on purchasing tickets for that exhibit is below

The cost of the exhibit, which includes a (unsurprisingly dry, but informative) audioguide, is €12, plus reductions. Don't wait in line for your ticket -- book your spot in advance. (Especially since the lines will probably get longer as the exhibit nears its end date!). Call 0632810 to book, or -- easier still for those already in Rome -- stop by the Feltrinelli bookstore at Largo Argentina. There, they have a "box office" where you can buy your tickets for one of the available time slots.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gh21. Probably from time to time is an exhibit there, but I do not think that seeing it gives you the possibility to visit the whole palace.
So my question still remain.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Try writing to [email protected]

Give them the dates when you will be in Rome and ask if there are tours available on those dates. I did get in a couple of years and loved it. The tours were in French (maybe Italian as well, I can't remember). You don't see everything, but you do see the Carraci murals and some of the garden.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Of course you don't see the whole palace, during an exhibition or on a tour: it's a functioning embassy. The ambassador's office has some stunning frescoes, but he's not going to stop working or move out so that you can see them.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Colonna, it is a very good idea to write them.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Yes Zerlina, nothing new about this - it is clear that not all the rooms can be seen in an embassy.
What I wanted to say is that probably during an exhibition you can see less than on a tour.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 08:17 PM

FYI the website for Palazzo Farnese

http://www.ambafrance-it.org/spip.php?article414

I have been unable to open their registration form but sent them an e-mail anyway requesting a visit for October. Let you know how it turns out.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM

I finally got the form open, filled it out and sent it in only to get a response that as of October 15 "an external service will provide the public a team of professional guides." So they aren't responding to anyone's e-mails and a new website will be up soon to book tours online after October 15.

Rats.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 04:19 PM

I seem to recall that outside the building there is (or was a few years ago) a sign stating when they have tours in English. It didn't work with our schedule so we didn't do a tour but might be worth walking by to see if there is a tour when you are around that you can join.