Search

Rome Tours?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Tours?

Have any of you taken any tours in Rome? If so, where and with what company? Do you think tours are even necessary? I have heard that it might especially be helpful in the Forum and Colosseum, but I just don't know.

Let me know your thoughts and also if you have any suggestions for places in Rome you found particularly interesting.

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM

You want to book tours for the Vatican but that may be all you need. The best is Context/Rome--small groups.
You can book online for a time slot at Galleria Borghese, which you should not miss.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM

If you have the money, the interest, have limited time, the site is vast, and/or of great historical significance I think a guided vist with an expert is a GREAT idea. It was only after my third visit to the Colosseo that I decided to go for a guided visit and boy, the only thing I regretted was not taking one sooner! The guide explained so much background history and details and made the 1.5 hours so much more productive and enjoyable. I just recently went back and was able to relate to my travel companion a number of facts learned during the tour. I was amazed of the incredible features that people walked by in the Colosseo unaware of its significance i.e., food was for sale during the events at the Colosseo and many columns on the outer arcade still have inscribed at the top the food available for sale at that spot. It would had never ocurred to me to look.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM

Viajero: We had a very similar exeperience. After two visits to Rome, we hired a private guide who tailored our tour to our specifications. We wanted to do "ancient" Rome with an emphasis on how they lived their day-to-day lives.

We were most fortunate to have found Sonia Tavoletto. She started the tour at San Clemente where her descriptions of the "apartment living" in the lower levels was awesome. As we progressed through the Forum and Compidoglio she kept "moving through the centuries" until we concluded with the circuses of Pza Navona. I believe she charged 50eu/hour...and it was well worth every penny!
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM

We are planning a trip in Sept to Rome for the first time (so I may not be the best person to ask) and we have done a ton of research. One thing we found that was recommended on this website was free downloads of tours from Rick Steves. They are free from his website and there are also several free ones from itunes as well. We listened to them and they seem like they are very in depth. I don't know when your trip is but we'll let you know how it went for us when we get back.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:56 PM

I would recommend either Context Rome for small group tours or Daniella Hunt of Mirabilia Urbis Tours for a private guided experience. The Vatican and Ancient Rome (Forum and Colosseum) will be better understood with a guide.

One of the things I have come to learn over the course of much travel in the last 5 years is that money spent on guides (whether small group or private) is always a good investment. Understanding the history and context of whatever monument/site you're visiting makes the whole experience come to life. It is an invaluable addition to a trip, in my opinion, especially in a place like Rome with its fascinating past.

Amanda
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:57 PM

My vote ...hire a guide. You can do this very reasonably or very lavishly. There are guides to fit most any budget. It's money well spent. roninrome.com comes highly recommended on other forums. I booked him for a trip later this year based on the very good reviews I've read.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM

I finally got home and can give you Sonia Tavoletto's email. She is a Roman, speaks perfect English. Charming lady.

mailto[email protected]
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM

Well, where did that funny face come from?
Add an "s" in front of "oniatav". Sorry!
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 04:48 AM

Jeanne-- LOL (sorry, but I think that was hilarious....!)
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM

We have found tours of the Vatican and Roman Forum very helpful to put things into perspective and context. Context Rome gets very good reviews, but are a bit too pricey for us. We have used www.enjoyrome.com for both the above tours and been very happy with them.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:42 AM

I really recommend taking one or two walking tours while you are in Rome. Earlier this month we took a walking tour of the Trastevere and the Jewish Ghetto with Enjoy Rome. It was a delightful 3 hours and our guide Rosa was extremely knowledgeable. We learned a great deal and the cost was 27 Euros each. Although Enjoy Rome walking tours can have up to 24 people, we were only 4 plus our guide. On our last visit to Rome we went to the Colosseum and paid a few Euros extra to bypass the lineup and take an official guided tour. That was a very good decision.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM

If you have the extra money and want to get specific emphasis on something, a guide is often nice. I've used Carrani tours a few times for people and they've been great, very professional, and they offer nice day/half day packages for those who kind of want to see everything in just a few days.....Just following random people who offer outside monuments though can be iffy.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all... this is very helpful.