Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Palazzo del Capitano: Difference between suites and standard rooms?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to stay at Palazzo del Capitano in San Quirico this fall, and they do have availability in either a suite or a standard room. (The standard room they have available at this time is the Gemini.)

Does anyone know what the difference is between these rooms, other than perhaps size? I will be traveling with my child and maybe my spouse, although even if my spouse can't go, I would need an extra bed regardless because of my child.

Thanks so much.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Slinky,

We stay at Palazzo often and have had several different rooms...you can check with Laura at the desk and have her describe the Gemini to you..if its the room we think it is, it was small, but what we didn't care for was the bathroom being up a short flight of stairs..maybe with a spouse and/or child, a suite would be better....
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Also check which floor--there is no elevator.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Traviata and bobthenavigator.

Based on the pictures on the web site, I think the Gemini room is the one with the small stairs up to the bathroom. I think that would be alright for us, but I'm having trouble understanding just how big/light these rooms are. They look small and dark on the web site, yet I have read other reviews that say the rooms are much better than they look on the web site. And people rave about this hotel, so the rooms can't be that bad. (Or maybe the raves are also for the hospitality, which seems warm compared with some others in the area?)

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Slinky,

Yes, I looked at the website and Gemini is the room I described...there is also a "loft-attic" in that room, but the stairs to it were quite steep as I recall.....the rooms we have had were all standard size and all small, but they are charming...for the possibility of three people, even if one is a child, I would suggest a suite..don't know the age of your child and what size bed you would need..can't think where you would put an extra bed in some of the rooms we have had....none of ours have been dark at all...
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Traviata. Yes, I'm wondering looking at the pictures where the extra bed would go as well!

It's good to hear that the rooms are not dark. So I guess there are more windows in the room than just the view from the small tower that is in some of the rooms?
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Slinky,

Every room is slightly different.....but each that I have seen has had at least one window of good size....yes, the extra bed would be an issue...in some rooms, there just wouldn't be a place at all..that said, it is a lovely little hotel and if you can upgrade to a suite, it would make all the difference..
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Traviata. There is a significant increase in price between the standard and the suite over 4 days, so I'm not sure we can swing it. I suppose it would help if I knew if my spouse could come or not, because that does make a difference in the amount of space we need.

Either way, it does look like a lovely hotel in a lovely location, so I will definitely be booking something there.