Palace Versailles Day Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking a day trip from London to the Palace of Versailles in France.
Would it be best to do this on my own instead of going with a guided tour group, I hear the tours are more money?
Is train or bus best from Paris to Versailles? Since I don't plan on doing much if any sightseeing in Paris?
But I won't mind seeing a little of Paris.
Is it best to get tickets to Versailles in advance or get the tickets there?
I have never been to France before.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Eurostar trains best from London to Paris then take RER B from Gare du Nord to RER C at Saint-Michel/Notre Dame (change there) which takes you right to within a few blocks of chateau- buy a return ticket at Gare du Nord. For speed taken a taxi but spend about $100 more than going yourself by RER (metro). The few London-Paris buse take hours.

RER C goes right along the Seine - with a station by Eiffel Tower if you want to go up that and also has a stop near Notre-Dame so you could do both of those and Versailles -study the metro/RER system and how it operates before going.

For lots on booking Eurostar trains check www.eurostar.com where you can book your own discounted tickets online if early enough - www.seat61.com has lots on that - general train info also at BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

Why not leave Paris till the end of your time in London and stay say two nights and fly home from Paris? Otherwise will be a fairly hectic day without a tour.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 11:40 AM

I agree with all that, of course tours cost a lot more than doing it yourself. Just some advice, you have to be careful which RER-C train you get on as some go to Versailles-Chateau and some do not. You have to be sure you get on the right train. The overhead lighted signboard should tell you the stops of the train arriving. You have to be especially careful at St Michel as some of those RERC trains go north, actually, to Pontoise.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 12:36 PM

For a Paris novice using the metro/RER can be daunting but the signage is good and like Christina says be sure to look at overhead signs on platforms to see if the place you want to go is listed

From Gare du Nord you want RER B trains to Notre Dame-SaintMichel (station where you change to trains labeled Versailles ??? not sure of name but yes many RER C trains do split beforfe going there. Look on metro/RER map for names of stations: www/ratp/fr
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 08:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Versailles is just a suburb of Paris served by commuter trains every 15 minutes. Just get on an RER C train that lists Versaille-Ch teau as a stop. It is best to buy your ticket online, but the security line as actually worse. I recommend being in Versailles right when it opens, because the dozens of tour buses begin to arrive at 10 a.m. and you want to be there before then.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 11:37 AM

It is best to buy your ticket online, but the security line as actually worse.?

Why not just buy at Gare du Nord?
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 12:51 PM

I think kerouac is talking about the chateau ticket, not the RER ticket.

The trains themselves do not have Versailles on them as far as I can recall. At the front engine of the train, at top, is just a four letter code for the route. You really have to look at the signboards for which stations are lit up for where it goes. Trains that go to Pontoise are labelled NORA.

There are two RERC train lines that go to Versailles but they go to different stations, that's why it is tricky. Some go to Versailles Chantiers (those are labelled CIME or SARA or SCOM). The ones that go to Versailles Chateau Rive Gauche are labelled VICK mostly, sometimes VITY.

There is also a schedule posted on the wall of the station for each train and where it stops.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 12:04 PM

The ones that go to Versailles Chateau Rive Gauche are labelled VICK mostly, sometimes VITY.>

Yes RER C look for River Gauche or Versailles-RG

Booking chateau ticket in advance makes sense and save time waiting in line. I though kerouac was talking about booking RER tickets - at Gare du Nord just ask for 'billet pour Versailles Chateau-RG. Again buy return ticket and save ticket until you are out of metro/RER at Gare du Nord as you will need it probably to put in turnstiles to get out.

Be sure to arrive for Eurostar trains at least 30 minutes prior to actual boarding time to guarantee entrance to the boarding area.