Paddington to Waterloo

Apr 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Paddington to Waterloo

I need transportation advice. We are flying into HTR and taking express to Paddington on a Sunday. We will spend the night there and then on Monday morning we need to reach Waterloo for 10:40 Eurostar. (I hesitated and lost the 12:00). What would be the smartest way to get there for three women and suitcases?
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Black Cab
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM

If you are leaving from Waterloo - I personally would not stay anywhere near Paddington. I'd stay near Waterloo, or just across the river near Trafalgar Square - or even near Victoria. Paddington is about as far from Waterloo as you can get and still be in central London.
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

I guess a hotel mistake. We will be driving/flying for 24 hours so I was looking to get into London and park ourselves somewhere easy to get to from the airport. Then deal with the rest in the morning. Maybe I'll rethink.
Apr 18th, 2007, 09:01 PM

What is your budget?

Even taking the Hethrow Express is a hassle - you have quite a walk from arrivals to the trains.

A car service from LHR right to your hotel would be much easier and for three of you would be cheaper than the HEX. That way you can stay anywhere and not be tied to Paddington which isn't the most convenient of locations.
Apr 18th, 2007, 09:01 PM

TUBE. 15min on Bakerloo Line. No transfer, very simple. Just follow the sign for Eurostar departure. There should be escalators on both ends, so manageable with suitcases.

Cab would probably take about the same amount of time, I assume about 10-15 GBP. To keep the fare slightly cheaper, ask the cabbie to take you to National Rail side of the Waterloo, not Waterloo Int'l (ie Eurostar). It saves me a few quid as I don't mind additional 5min walk thru the station.
Apr 18th, 2007, 11:13 PM

Tube will take 15 minutes directly via Bakerloo line...(of course there could be delays on the tube but usually there aren't)

Cab in the morning will be much more expensive and given London traffic might take much longer.

If you can handle your baggage, the tube is the best way!
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:07 AM

The direct tube route is practically the only journey in London where there are escalators all the way at both ends, though you must enter the tube station from the main station concourse, near the Yo Sushi. Entering from the street involves flights of steps that will be cumbersome with luggage.

The Paddington-Waterloo Bakerloo tube line is just about the most reliable part of London's transport system.

Taxis at Paddington between 0730 and 1000 on weekdays - especially Mondays - almost always involve long queues.

Apr 19th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help.
janisj - I had looked into a car and then I saw the half-price express code on a post and bought those tickets.

Other kind people- you make it sound feasible to take the tube.

Would anyone make a recommendation about keeping my plan or changing our hotel? I see one on hotwire in the financial district or I know I can probably find something in Victoria. It's hard for a first time traveler to determine the best course of action!
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Everyone has an opinion of what works and what doesn't. We always stay in the Paddington Station when departing London because of the HR Express. Lots of convenient and reasonable hotels in that area. Not much charm around Paddington but it is functional but I think your plans are fine. Time is on your side in the morning. When incoming we always stay around Victoria Station. It has been two years since we were in London but I thought individual rides on the Tube was approaching $6. For three people that would give you about 10 pounds as break even point. Two years ago we took a cab from VStation to Liverpool station about the same distance you want to go and it was cheaper than 3 single fares on the Tube.

With three people I think you are close to breakeven between the tube and cab. Have the hotel call the cab. When you arrive the night before, just ask a cab driver what the approximate fare to Waterloo would be. That way you will have an idea of the best way price wise.
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM

$6??????? Wrong....a single on the tube is now $8 (£4)....if you tube in from Heathrow make sure you do it with an oyster card...at least that way the one way tube fare drops to £1.50 or $3!
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Well, that just increases my arguement for using a cab -- moves breakeven to 12 pounds.
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

So far the discussion is focusing on cost. What about time? Will a cab be stuck in traffic on a Monday morning? How long will it take to go from Paddington are to Waterloo by cab?
Again, thanks for the help.
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM

You have pretty of time. No one can predict the time but ask a cab driver when passing through that night. That is what I always do and they are very helpful. The day before we had to go to Liverpool I just stepped up to a driver that was three or four deep in line so I knew he would have time. Ask how long it take, the rate, etc. -- he was very helpful. I am guessing that it would be about the same time to have a cab pick up and take you as it would if you walked to Paddington, down the stairs, find the Tube and get off at Waterloo and walk up to the train. And you have to deal with your luggage the whole time.