Paddington or Sloane Square

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've narrowed down our London lodging list to two possibilities. The Royal Park Hotel just south of Paddington Station towards Hyde Park and Sloan Square Apts next to Sloan Square tube station. Which area will give us a nicer ambiance. Leaning toward Sloan but don't know much about other area. Comments?
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Personally I would choose the Sloane Sq. location. The Paddington Sta. area is a little, shall we say, "unscenic" -- not necessarily unsafe or anything, but not overly appealing either. If the hotel is across from Hyde Park that is OK, but Hyde Park is not that close to Paddington either. I really do not know this hotel, perhaps some other posters are familiar with it. Sloane Sq. just has nicer "feel" to it.
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Not even up for discussion - Sloane Square. As Lori says, nothing really WRONG with Paddington but Sloane Square is in a really lovely and very convenient part of town. Book now!
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:15 AM

No questions- Sloane square! Much more interesting area (IMHO) and transport is better and faster to the museums. Better walking around area as well.
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much for quick answers but one more question please. Last year we stayed near Gloucester Rd/Old Brompton Rd and thought it was very nice for walking the nighborhood. Will Sloane Square area be comparable or nicer yet for restaurants and walking around? Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:40 PM

At least comparable ! I wouldn't hesitate on the Sloane Sq deal..you have the whole of King's Rd , Knightsbridge, South KEn, museums, etc all in walking distance!
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Sloane Square without a doubt. Lovely location. That's where I stayed last year.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:18 PM

In case you need convincing still, go for Sloane Square. There's even a Stockpot restaurant (clean, cheap, decent food) on King's Road, good shops and great transport, as well as a cinema and other restaurants/cafes.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Sloan Square. Just keep saying "Ok, yah" and the natives will understand
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM

So everyone thinks you should stay in Sloane Square.....

But I checked out the Royal Park website and I think it looks pretty special. Well, more than special -- opulent.

I remember when that far western reach of Bayswater was grim -- even stayed there 30+ years ago. But I suspect all that has changed.

I notice too that the hotel is near Anouska (sp?) Hempel's hotel -- that cannot be too shabby.

SLoane Square: My English SIL was a Sloane Ranger of sorts and I always reacted badly to that atmosphere. But again, I do not know what changes there have been in that area.

Bottom line re Royal Park (such an unfortunate, flat, striving name): Any place that advertises an "honesty bar" sounds to me like the sort of place where the *right* people stay.
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Sloane Square is by far the better address from a residential perspective. That said, Paddington could be viewed as a little more central depending on what you want to centre your attention on.

If Paddington accomodation is cheaper, and more luxurious then pick that, if not Sloane Sq. is a super location with lots of shopping/dining close at hand.
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

The Royal Park Hotel does have a special that would give us 4 nights + breakfast in an executive double for $US 996 which figures out to about ₤131/nt which includes all taxes. On the other hand, we can get a “large studio apartment w/ king size bed” near Sloane Square for ₤142/nt which would allow us to have a meal or two in. I think that I’m weighing neighborhood vs opulent hotel and have decided to choose the neighborhood. Now then.....if the London weather will cooperate June 23-27 we’ll have it made.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:34 PM

Definitely Sloan Sq...better neighborhood....filled with great little boutiques and restaurants...