Packing questions - September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted on another "packing" question, however did not receive any replies. For the month of September 1-25 in southern Germany,Switzerland, Austria and Netherlands do you think we would need sweaters, or would light nylon jackets be o.k.? I read a lot of advice for packing, and am wondering if 3 pairs of slacks, 5 tops, 1 skirt will be enough? We will be on a bus tour for 10 days, and hate to wear the same everyday. The other days we will be going from place to place on our own, so I am not as concerned. What about knit activewear with a zippered long sleeved top, would that we ok on the bus, or not? What do people wear on these bus trips, don't want to over dress. I never see anyone suggest this type of clothing here. Will take a 22in, an 18inch and two carry-ons. Will short sleeved knit sweaters be to warm? Short sleeved or long sleeved for hubby? Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:05 PM

You're taking just " pairs of slacks, 5 tops, 1 skirt " for 24 nights? and you "hate to wear the same everyday" . You contradict yourself surely?

I am an heavy packer, but I feel that if you're on a bus tour what you've taken is suitable. Take some coats/jackets too.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:12 PM

expect it to be warm (70-85) in the daytime and cool (55-65) at night. I would liken it to the way chicago is in september. bring a lite jacket you can put in backpack or wrap around waist.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:16 PM

It depends on how much time you plan on spending in the mountains. It can be quite cool even in the day time - and you can have snow at higher elevations by the end of September.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:18 PM

..I think you can really get a lot of mileage out of the pieces you plan to bring if they color coordinate and mix and match.. I would be sure to bring at least 1 sweater ( and maybe 2). I have a great light jacket that comes to my mid thigh and is waterproof which i live in on both sides of the alantic. Dont buy anything that you wouldnt wear at home!..I might wear a blazer (or similar) on the plane. I love packing synthetic or synthetic cotton tops with long or 3/4 lenth sleves as they pack beautifully as do cashmere or light wool sweaters...taking 1 extra is fine (but again these are things i live in and are not trip specific)..bring shoes that are well broken in and multiple uses..scarves (if you are a scarf person) or jewelry can change an outfit..but dont bring a very expensive piece or a piece with huge sentimental value..bring some light nylon panties and bras which you can swish out in the sink.....i can get more specific if you wish..so just ask!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Historical high and low average temperatures and highest and lowest record temperatures for several cities in September:
AVG Records
Munich: 66/48 86/32
Zurich: 65/52 83/39
Rotterdam:64/51 84/34
Vienna: 69/53 90/37

Of course, no one can predict whether the September you are there will be average, above average, or below average.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Well that didn't line up exactly the way I intended: The first two numbers are the average AVG high and low for September. The second two are the Records for September.

For example in Munich, on average for the entire month over the years, the high is 66 and the average low is 48. Early September would probably somewhat hotter on average, and late September somewhat cooler on average.

But looking at the records, highs in the 80s are possible as are lows around freezing.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the information. I was expecting it maybe to be a little cooler than that. Was thinking may mid 70's at most. I'll definetly put something in for the 80+ degree days, just in case we hit them!!

m kingdom2 - that would be 3 pairs of slacks plus the ones I wear on the plane, and my thought was: Is that enough for a 10 day bus tour? I will be doing laundry the following day when we are off on our own again. I can figure out that I need more for 24 days if I am in the same group or same area for that length of time!