Packing Musts for UK (Manchester) to Scotland (Edinburgh) April-May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into and out of Manchester in late April and plan to travel in northern England and Scotland for 12 days (does not include travel time). We would appreciate recommendations on what we should pack. Also, are laundry mats available to wash one's clothes so we can cut down on baggage?

We will rent a car and will stay in B & B's. Our interests are the Lakes District, Hadrian Wall, York and we are trying to arrange getting to Stirling Castle (train?). Castles, cathedrals and beautiful counry side are our interest.

Any recommendations on brands of carry-on luggage would be appreciated.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 11:36 PM

Rain gear and a fleece as the odds of rain & wind are pretty much certain

I presume by "laundry mat" you mean "laundromat". If so they exist but outside of Edinburgh & Manchester they'll be few and far apart - can't you wash in the bathroom basin?
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 12:16 AM

I would agree with Alanrow,a waterproof/windproof jacket is and absolute essential and layers of clothing required.It can be fairly warm during the day at that time of year but early morning and late evening can get quite cold.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 12:28 AM

If you do a search for Laundette York, on Google you will see that there are several...so you can do that for whichever area you are staying. Bring an umbrella.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM

I don't know where you live, so don't know what temperatures you are accustomed to.
April is a delightful month in Britain but it can be a bit nippy.
Layers are the answer, at least one woolly jumper or cardigan and a middle-weight, preferably shower-proof jacket.
The English word is Laundrette, or Launderette but Google seems to bring up both.
Go to Google Local
http://local.google.co.uk/
and type in Laundrette with the town and you will find at least one in most towns.
I much prefer a hooded jacket to an umbrella.
I really am quite a little little old lady and I am the perfect height for poking people's eyes out with a brolly.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 01:50 AM

Oh dear..I meant Laundrette but Google has some other ideas!

MissPrism if you are little, you won't get anywhere near my eyes with your brollie! I don't like hoods cos you can't see properly...and brollies are smarter
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

All excellent suggestions. Thanks. We are from Texas where our "winter" has been colder than normal, but still warmer than England.

I appreciate the correct word for doing one's laundry. Don't think I want to wash a pair of jeans in the sink.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 05:08 AM

I don't like umbrellas either, nor hoods particularly, though a well designed hood will enable you to see properly and will include a peak to get the rain off your face.
I prefer a knitted hat, which I think you Americans refer to as a tuque.
Bring something for warmer weather too - you never know you may hit a glorious spring period with lovely warm days, though the evenings will probably still be chilly.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Bring a sweater or fleece and what Texans call a windbreaker for the rain. It will rain--get over it now, so that you can enjoy the scenery. Umbrellas are a personal choice. Sturdy shoes are essential.

We love B&B's. Some will offer to do your laundry while you tour, if you just ask them about the laundrette.

If you like washcloths--buy cheap ones to take with you and just throw out. Much of UK considers this item too personal to share, even after laundering.

It stays light really late at that time of year. Look for all of the "wee sheepies"! We saw one birthed next to a single track. We were respectful; killed the engine and remained in the car.

We've been 3 times. You'll go back, too!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 01:34 PM

And in case it is confusing, the American equivalent of the English word "jumper" as used above is a pullover sweater. (There is also an American word for a piece of clothing called a jumper but it is a kind of a dress what I believe is called a "pinafore" in England.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper_(dress). This is one of quite a few clothing confusing terms between American and English (for example "pants" means really only "underpants" in English).
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 06:55 PM

When you do find a Laundrette, ask if they do a 'service wash' -not sure if you call it the same in the states - basically they do the washing and drying for you.

You could also lok for a 'pick up' service. I just thijk life3 is too short to do washing on holiday.

laurie_ann

<<for example "pants" means really only "underpants" in English >>

That depends on what part of England (or Scotland) you are in.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM

I read somewhere that you should lay everything out you think you will need. Then get rid of half of it. As for how much money to take, twice as much as you think you'll need.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM

We usually travel for a couple of weeks and take 2 prs of jeans. Unless you are doing hard labor on your vacation, a good pair of denims should last a week without needing to be washed. We launder our underwear in the bathroom sink.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:01 PM

<<< a good pair of denims should last a week without needing to be washed. >>>

Which is good because it'll take a week to dry them if they get wet.

Much better to take poly-cotton or wool mix trousers which dry within a couple hours, can be worn for a week without needing to be washed and are half the weight of a pair of jeans
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 03:10 AM

If you're staying at a B&B for at least a couple of days, why not just ask the owner if you could pay to use their washing machine/dryer? Even if it costs a little, it will be much more convenient than seeking out the local laundrette.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM

If your after castles would suggest North Wales, an easy 1 hour car journey, numerous medieval castles. A good base is Conwy (with castle) and recommended hotel is the Castle Hotel which is excellent. From here you can visit Caernarvon, Beaumaris, Criccith, Harlech, Dolgarrog - too many to mention www.castlewales.com Visit the Roman City of Chester on the way back
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 08:18 AM

Manchester - your gun and a bullet proof vest.

Scotchland - everything.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 03:27 AM

>That depends on what part of England (or Scotland) you are in.<

Really? Where do we call trousers pants in the UK?