umbrella useless in Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Edinburgh the second week of November, and I'm assuming we should be prepared as wet should be the order of the day(s).

I remember someone saying don't bother bringing an umbrella because of the wind. I think the suggestion was to bring a Gore-Tex jacket and warm layers (fleece or sweater).

However, I'm not really much the sweater type, and definitely can't stand the artificial warmth of fleece.

I have a great down-insulated leather jacket that I love and that I'm used to, but I'd need an umbrella to keep me dry while walking around.

So am I a fool for not heeding the advice for something waterproof instead of an umbrella? Or should I just consider a stronger, more wind-resistant umbrella?
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM

I'm not a local but why not bring both?
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I guess I made it too implicit, but my concern isn't just about keeping dry but also keeping warm.

In other words, my warm jacket won't keep me dry, and a Gore-Tex jacket won't keep me warm without a thick layer.

Although a bit of whisky won't hurt.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll find lots of people using umbrellas in Edinburgh. It isn't always windy, sometimes it's just wet.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Why not puechase one of those that fold up and fit in a coat pocket
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM

I don't know about Edinburg, but rain has me concerned about my upcoming trip to London in November.

I did a lot of research on umbrellas, and found the Brookstone umbrella line to be perfect for our needs. I won't bore you with all the features that I compared amongst umbrella manufacturers, but if you were interested...)

Not cheap though: 2 umbrellas $70.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely take an umbrella - and you don't need an expensive one from Broostone or other pricey places (though there is nothing wrong w/ them). Any old Totes, ShedRain, etc is just as good.

I've had just as many high end umbrellas flip inside out as cheap $5 ones.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Blimey it's only November. It's not going to be THAT cold...

How about your warm jacket with a fold up pocketsized rainmac/kagule thing to slip over the top if it rains? Or a hat of some type? Or a brolly?
I think the whole Gore-tex thing is going over the top. You are in a city not trekking over the Highlands ;-)
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Just looked up some averages for you.
Edinburgh in November.
Average temps range 2 to 8 degrees with a mean of 6 degrees centigrade. 6 degrees C = 43 degrees Farenheit.
Average 64mm rain for the month.

So maybe not as bad as you thought, eh?
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for reinforcing my gut on this, not to mention saving my pocket book a bit.

November may not be winter yet, but I do expect enough of a chill to warrant my warm(ish) coat. I wear it in the summer here (San Francisco), which can be pretty damn cold.

Come to think of it, Edinburgh wasn't exactly toasty when I was there one August a few decades ago . . . .
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 03:47 PM

nona1, it depends where you're coming from!
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM

I usually bring a cheap rain poncho. If it rains, I just throw it on over everything else. It leaves my hands free and adds another layer of protection from pickpockets.

PS You throw the poncho on over everything--including your purse and/or backpack. Works for me.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM

I'm a local & I have 2 umbrella's. The last few times it has been raining there hasn't been any wind so the rain came straight down - however bring some good shoes as the volume of water was too much for Edinburgh;s pot holed streets to cope with
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 01:17 AM

Most convenience stores sell umbrellas for £2.50. For what it's worth, I've never found the need for anything more than a light waterproof jacket in an Edinburgh November.

The thought of a down-insulated leather jacket, while walking round the city, is just insane. You'll boil to death.

Alan's absolutely right. The priority in late autumn is keeping your feet dry. The mere act of walking from place to place will keep you warm enough.

Just pack a light waterproof. Save your researching energy for understanding enough about the city to apperciate what's on offer.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 05:05 AM

I was in Edinburgh in May 2005. Cold, wet and windy. And totally wonderful. What a city. But I digress...

My umbrella was completely useless b/c of the wind. The Gore-Tex saved me.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 06:05 AM

My favorite umbrella for travel is a full size "Totes" brand that comes with it's own mesh travel bag with a long sling handle.
This just fit over my shoulder so I didn't have to carry it all over London, but it was there when I needed it. It was so comfortable to wear/carry that I almost forgot it was there. Not expensive but I liked it better than the smaller versions that I had to put in my bag & carry around.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:32 AM

I recommend a pair of Wellies and a big clear plastic bag with vent holes. The boots will keep the feet away from puddles; the big plastic sack will keep the remainder of you dry and allow you to see out. It has the advantage of being light weight, disposable, cheap, and water proof unless it leaks through the vent holes. It will also make life difficult for a pickpocket who is after your billfold, assuming the sack is at least knee length, if not mid calf, so that it meets the tops of the boots.

Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:13 AM

AlanRow makes an excellent point about shoes. IMO, it's a good idea to have a back-up pair of shoes that you can walk around in, because your feet can get very wet in Edinburgh. Of course, now that you're perfectly prepared for the deluge of the century you'll have sunny and beautiful autumn weather!
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:46 AM

Zooey-you are absolutely right to bring your warm leather jacket-the cold in Edinburgh goes right into the bones-a peculiar feature of Edinburgh weather is something called the "haar"- which is precisely a dense, bone-chilling fog off the North Sea -and this can come in the spring, let alone November- I know, I lived there. And the weather changes constantly in Edinburgh as well-so do take a sturdy umbrella with you as you go out, regardless of how sunny it looks in the morning; the weather changes very quickly there, and there's nothing quite so miserable as being miserably wet and cold in Edinburgh, believe me-I've done that routine a time or two-it takes more than a wee dram of the sweet stuff to get over it!

Besides, your jacket sounds stylish and well suited for Edinburgh -Edinburghers tend to dress well to go out at night.

I'd bring that jacket AND as you say, a sturdy umbrella, -
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 09:36 AM

Not only is an umbrella not useless in Edinburgh - it is mandatory - at any time of year. (It is very oftn rainy without being esp windy.)

Also - 2 good pair of walking shoes - so you can wear the second while the first dries out.

And expect it to be quite chilly and damp.

What is most sensible is a midweight jacket (it's not the arctic) or raincoat with line and a selection of turtlenecks, sweaaters and shirts so you can layer depeending on the temp of the day.

(We were there in July and it was about 45 and raining - when it had been over 80 in London 5 days before. But - that was unusually cold. November is not true winter - and it never gets really cold - like Minnesota or St Pet - where everything freezes for months at a time.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -