Search

packing for two weeks in Ireland...minimalist here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:41 AM
mdv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
packing for two weeks in Ireland...minimalist here

Think three pairs of pants (two pairs of jeans, one pair dress) and a couple of nice shirts and sweaters will do? I hate to pack.

Leaving Thursday.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:00 AM

We returned a couple of weeks ago and the one thing we used every day was the water resistant parka by Columbia that we bought for the trip.
It was thin, vented and had a hood. It folded up into practically nothing. I was glad for it the day on the Cliffs of Moher when it was very windy and was raining lightly.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:05 AM

I wouldn't take jeans - stay with coolmax and tencel type fabrics that dry quickly after rain or a quick rinse in the hotel. take a pair or two of zip-offs for flexibility and a pull-on skirt (if you're a woman) in black preferably.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:09 AM

Lots of folks (male and female alike) were wearing travel pants when I was there - the lightweight type that wash and dry easily. I had one pair of jeans but probably wouldn't bring more than that next time. I had a launderette in Dingle do a wash/dry/fold at $10 Euro for one load midway through our 8 day trip. It was well worth the money - I traveled with only a small daypack and a 22" roll-on bag. Traveling light is truly a blessing, especially when lugging the baggage up and down the stairs at B&B's and trsveling in a small car.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I agree with the above about limiting your jeans to one pair. Aside from being heavier, you'll most likely run into a soaking rain at some point and you'll want something that dries quickly. Also go with a lightweight hooded jacket, you can tie it around your shoulders/waist until needed. I've travelled all over and never brought a skirt, as long as you have a nice pair of black/dark pants with a top you'll do fine just about anywhere. I also bring a nice silk scarf, used for my head, as a wrap around my shoulders, or just to brighten up a solid top. Also, make sure you have comfortable shoes!!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:53 AM

If you are a jeans wearer in everyday life, and don't like to wear other pants, bring two pairs. Yes, they don't dry quickly when soaked, are heavy, etc etc, but that doesn't bother me (plus I was lucky in that it never rained when I was there). If you do get caught in the rain, which is certainly probable in Ireland, you can wear the other pair while the wet pair dries. I took two pairs for two weeks, and that's all I brought as far as pants go. It was fine, and hid any dirt and grim well, as jeans usually do. I didn't do laundry while there, although I will admit, my jeans were scary at the end of the two weeks.

Ireland's dress code is pretty casual (especially rural Ireland). Even in some of the nicer restaurants, jeans seemed to be fine. Everyone wore jeans.

However, if you have a pair of travel pants you like, by all means, just bring one of each, plus one nice outfit for the swanky places.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:52 AM

I have been told by many on this site & others that instead of jeans try taking docker style pants. They are not taking up as much room in my suitcase (already doing test packing for our upcomming trip) and will not take as long to dry if you get wet. We leave in 1 1/2 weeks for a 4 week trip to London / Cork & Dublin / Edinburgh and my husband & I are going over with only a 21" upright case with a small tote or messenger bag for carry ons (we are going over on an american carrier that allows 2 carryons per person!) Even with out putting my clothes in the space bags yet - I still have room to spare! Have a great trip!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:47 PM

I liked mina's advice. Like she said, if jeans are what you wear, bring two. If you don't care either way, bring light easy drying stuff. We got rained on for a while off and on, in jeans, starting 30 minutes after we left the hotel. We were outdoors all day and we dried too eventually. No worries. If the jeans hadn't been dry the next morning, I guess we'd have laid them in the trunk until the next stop.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 04:07 AM

I think Jeans are too heavy - Khakis may be better.
A true story: Nov '98 I stayed at the Courtenay Lodge in Newcastlewest, Co. Limerick. I had a pair of jeans that hadn't quite dried out when I was leaving: they were pretty well worn so I tossed them on top of the trash can along with a pair of metal spike golf shoes I had brought with me.

May '99 I was at the Courtenay Lodge again (my father was from nearby). The Housekeeper, Kate, recognized me and said I'd left a few things in my room. She had washed and ironed the jeans and had them upstairs in case I might come back one day.

Other than my first remark, this may not reate to your question, but I thought it was an interesting anecdote.