Packing for Fall in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a Honeymoon to Rome, Florence and Venice October 20-November 1. What kind of clothing should I pack. I was thinking of the normal jeans, long sleeve t-shirts, tennis shoes, and fleece. Is something nicer needed. Will I be too warm with jeans and long sleeves?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:56 AM

We're in the same boat---leaving Atlanta Nov. 8th. Sure hoping the weather will be mild with this heatwave winding down-may work to our advantage, giving us mild temps!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:00 PM

"something nicer needed" who's looking at you dear?

Does the fact that it is your honeymoon change the weather?

Pack lots of layers, and you will be fine. Whether you are too warm depends on whether you feel the cold surely?

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Late October/early November will be leather jacket weather in Italy. And, if you're lucky, some days, it will be shirtsleeves only!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:17 PM

I think you should check weather forecasts at several websites before you go to get an idea of the temps. And definitely pack umbrellas and rain coats/jackets.

"Something nicer" is needed only if your lifestyle/travel style indicates going into finer restaurants or exclusive shops. If your trip is ultra casual, so can your wardrobe be.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Only the hubby will be looking at me and he is used to the jeans and t-shirt. I just wasn't sure if the expectation at some historic sites or restaurants was to be a bit more dressed up. I tend to lean toward the cold side. So I think jeans and longsleeves should be a good choice.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 01:52 PM

I think you'll feel more appropriately dressed for a lot of restaurants if you take a pair of nice slacks or a comfortable long skirt rather than just jeans. This applies to local trattorie too, since Italians in large cities tend to dress for dinner more than we do.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:19 PM

The key to dressing for that time of year is layers. We've been twice in October and had both warmish and chilly weather. Layer, baby! And yes, even if you're a jeans only kinda girl, pack a pair or two of black or dark slacks/long skirts. You won't regret it.

Oh, and forget sweatshirts. Too tourist (except for your room). Bring a decent cardigan or light jacket to get you through anything, dinner or daytime. But mainly, just enjoy yourself! And major congrats!! You will love Italy!!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:28 AM

"sweatshirts. Too tourist" All the major, as well as smaller Italian designers produce sweatshirts as part of their collections. Prada, Gucci, etc. all have sweatshirts as their fall/winter 03/04 offerings. Also British labels produce fantastic sweatshirts every season.

JanT perhaps you're trying so hard not to look tourist that you're standing out like a sore thumb? Get real and as I said before who's looking at you dear?
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Layering is the key. The temps are normally cool in the morning, warm (in the 70s) in the afternoon then cool again in the evening. I usally had a lighter shirt underneath a nice wool sweater then as it warmed I put the sweater around my shoulders or waist. In the evening it's a perfect excuse to wear a beautiful scarf around your shoulders that you can purchase there and remember your trip every time you wear it.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Dear m_kingdom, perhaps you don't quite get it. Sweatshirts are 1)very bulky for light packing, and 2)usually thought of in terms of extremely casual dressing, and therefore quite limiting when it comes to practical packing, i.e. trying to get a few pieces of clothing to work for you on a trip.

I don't give a hoot what others think about whether I look "touristy" or not. I certainly can't (and don't try) to hide that, especially with a guide book, camera, or map in my hands most of the time. And frankly, dear, I take exception to the manner in which you presented your comments to me. Maybe you need to get real!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:16 PM

You say you are limited in packing, I believe the economy allowance is about a minimum of 20kg; as there are two of you - 40 kg Most airlines are flexible about this.

One large suitcase can take a selection of suits, jackets, trousers, jeans, swimwear, sportswear, and shirt, sweaters, sweatshirts and still weigh in under the required weight. If you don't like to pack much out of laziness then really you are the one who needs to ""get real"". So what you're casual you only need to wear smarter clothes in the evening no matter what country you are in!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:04 PM

ooh, nasty!!