overnite train Venice to Nice

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the travel planner for our 35th Anniversary. There will be 3 couples, 12 day trip and don't want to drive between our dream vacation spots (Bellagio, Venice and Cote d'Azur) . We fly into Zurich and depart from Nice. We are trying to avoid driving, looking into trains. Saw somewhere I might be able to take an overnight train from Venice to Nice. Is this reasonable? I don't want to talk everyone into slumber cars( or do you sleep in your seats?) and have it turn into a fiasco because of unrealiable train schedules. I was thinking of getting a rental car in Nice, since we have 3 nights and 4 days there. Wondering if 2 cars would be a better bet but not at an obscene cost. Any thoughts, advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Taffy
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 09:22 AM

EN train(EuroNight express) from Venice to Nice depart around 2252, arrive around 0945. For info about night train couchettes/sleepers, please check: http://www.geocities.com/rebickers/tipsnightrains.htm/.

www.seat61.com.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 09:41 AM

I can't help with the train part of your question. I did notice a post that mentioned some US agents that sell Trenitalia tickets here for less than the Trenitalia prices you might want to read.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34598735

As to the car rental in Nice, a lot depends on what you want to see and your budget. Train and bus travel is relatively easy in that area especially if you what you want to see is along the coast where the train runs. For example, getting to Monaco is easy on the train. Getting to Cannes is also easy by train. Getting to the hill towns of St. Paul de Vence, Eze etc. is a bit easier with a car (although there are buses) and I guess in general having your own transport saves time.

I don't suggest getting one car big enough for all of you, especially for the smaller hill towns. It may not fit on some of the narrower roads. In fact, I've found the rental cos. often try to upgrade you for free to a bigger car which is not a favor.

I think you should plan an itinerary first and then decide to car or not. Perhaps renting a car for one or two of the days would make sense. Or, maybe even better, a renting a car and driver since you seem to want to avoid self driving. Perhaps you could find a limo driver with a car big enough for all of you.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Wow quick helpful advice, all very useful. I may not ever get to the gym today!

Dear JucyC: No luck accessing that site, I'll have to spend a little more time getting registered on yahoo to do that perhaps.

Dear mclaurie: Great tips, know what u mean about generous? upgrades on cars. We got a small SUV upgrade, stick shift no less, in Ireland and proceeded to get a flat from driving so close to those Irish quaint stacked rock fences! So definitely will look into a limo or a 2 car scenario when in the Nice area. Our budget plans are to be , not frugal nor foolish just middle of the road with a leaning towards comfort. We are in good shape but mid 50's and want to enjoy a little la dolce vita
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 10:05 AM

There are a detailed and able survey of rail travel, country by country at http://www.seat61.com/, under Italy, and a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/...ghttrains.htm/.

You can book sleepers in the travel centre of any large railway station in western Europe, including Zurich, speaking English and using a credit card. From now to mid September you want to book two weeks before travel. If you will still be in the States then please tell me, and I shall tell you of agents who can book you by phone or e mail. Please do not use Rail Europe or French Railways, as they both overcharge people who book from America.

A train with sleeping cars takes passengers at Venice Santa Lucia about 2215, leaves at 2252, gives you good views of the Riviera in the morning and reaches Nice at 0945. In Venice you should buy some cheese or sausage or both, to go with the light breakfast that the conductor serves you in France for free. You should tell him or her in Venice that you want your compartment made up for daytime use about San Remo at 0827 or Ventimiglia at 0848. You can try to sleep in seats, but those give a poor night, and you should choose a berth. In second class as you can book in a 6-berth couchette or a 3-berth sleeper, and in first in a 2-berth sleeper or a single. Per person the journey costs 65 euros in a couchette, 95 euros in a 3-berth sleeper, 140 euros in a 2-berth sleeper and 170 in a single. I think second class, 3-berth, the best value for money. A couchette is unpleasantly crowded. Train schedules are fully reliable, even in deep snow or great heat, both of them equally unlikely on this route.

I expect you know that the Canaletto Express, with restaurant car and fine Alpine views, leaves Zurich at 0909 and reaches Venice at 1708. The night train on this route has no sleepers, but only 4-berth and 6-berth couchettes, where you wash at the end of the corridor.

[email protected]
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Dear Ben,
What a wealth of info! You are too good to be true! Will heed your advice about not using the Rail Europe andFrench railways. I'm still having difficulty accessing that geocities site but googled around and found meleterc.com/europenight_trains_4.html#Nice
Time is not an issue as we are not leaving till May 2nd from the states and returning May 14
Would love to get your input on making our numerous train connections, as we think we want private sleepers (we're old we snore) and non smoking 1st class ticket that have seat reservations ( we're from Montana and haven't been on passenger trains in 20 years & feel more comfortable with guaranteed seat...I think?).
We were planning on taking the train to Como and hydrofoiling over to Bellagio for 3 nights; taking the train to Venice (Como-Milan-Venice) for 3 nights and on the 4th take the EN train to Nice for 3 nights in Nice or in that area. Any thoughts here?