Overnight stop between St Remy de Provence and Carcassonne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone recommend a town and B&B to overnight when driving from St Remy de Provence and Carcassonne.

There is a one night gap I may have to fill between the end and commencement of my weekly rentals at above towns.

Many thanks!

s
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Swagman- Have you ditched the idea of seeing the Gorges du Tarn?

We stayed in a small town about 20 minutes from Beziers. The Gite was OK...it was a last minute reservation made after our Cevennes reservations got mixed up and we stayed there for 2 nights...and the next place we headed to afterwards was Carcasson (though only for one nite).

Anyway, I would encourage you to search for a different gite than the one we stayed in (It wasn't bad, just not what we expected- more in a town; that didn't hold much interest for us, than in the countryside and we didn't feel comfortable hanging out in the gardens/yard in the evening), but can say that we highly enjoyed visiting Pezenas and Narbonne the two days we were there. Something around in or around Pezenas might be a good idea. It'll keep you close to the A-9 in terms of getting to Carcassone the next day.

We happened to stumble into Pezenas on market day, which according to my notes was a Saturday, in case that is of interest to you.

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM

Some people prefer staying in the crowded small beach towns along the coast but I find Pezenas ideal. You may like this small B&B www.villajuliette.com/en/index.htm
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
A nice change of scenery is in Collioure at the Hotel Casa Pairal, not very expensive.

http://www.hotel-casa-pairal.com/tarifs.htm
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM

We stayed in St. Remy a few weeks ago and on our last day drove to Carcasonne and back easily. It took us exactly 2-1/2 hours each way. There are a lot of tolls. I haven't decided if the drive was worth it. I was glad I saw it but it really was a long drive although on high speed beautiful highways.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Depending on what Swagman is looking for, I'll give a vote to Collioure also! We did two day trips to Collioure this last trip and loved it (plus we were starved for sun and warmth....wasn't happening in the valley)
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:15 PM

OK I like Coullioure too but it's not located anywhere between Carcassonne & St Remy. It's absolutely the perfect stop if you're going to Barcelona since it's so close to the Spanish border.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input.

Ip_nyc, no I haven't ditched the idea of seeing the Gorges du Tarn.

My plan now is to drive from St Remy to overnight at La Malene, which is just over a 3-hour drive according to Mappy.

The next day we'll continue on to Carcassonne.

Any suggestion for a hotel/B&B in La Malene?

As for the other suggested towns, we will be spending 3 weeks in the region and will certainly visit them on our itnierary.

s