COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

overnight near Athens Airport three persons

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

I am looking for a hotel near the Athens airport that will acomodate three perons in one room for one night. We are leaving in the morning for one of the islands so we need to go back to the airport. I tried the Sofitel and Holiday Inn but they will only allow two in a room. Getting two rooms is out of the question
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:01 AM

Unfortunately the Athens Airport is too new for much infrastructure to have developed around it. As far as I know, the Sofitel and Holiday Inn are the only hotels near the airport.

Your other alternatives are to stay in Athens and get an early morning taxi back to the airport, or camp out in the departure lounge overnight. There are some hotels in Rafina, which is a bit closer to the airport than Athens itself.

The departure lounge isn't very comfortable, so you may not want to do that. Sometimes you can check in early and go through to domestic departures, where you can stretch out on the benches and take a nap, but as I recall Olympic check-in doesn't open until around 0430 or 0500, so you would probably have to stay in the main departures area until then. Don't know about the Aegean check-in desk.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:16 AM

Why is getting two rooms "out of the question"?????price??? just don't want to?

Would it be cheaper to stay in Athens and then get up and take a taxi early or the Metro vs getting a second room?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Renting two rooms does not sem to work for us because we do not want our 16 year old daughter in a room by herself. Maybe even on a different floor. The price is also sky high. Even at the HOliday Inn it would be over 450 euros. Thanks for the suggestions
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:26 AM

there is a very reliable airport bus that functions most of the evening. i took it VERY early back to the airport from athens. in fact, i think my metro ticket was good for the bus. not sure, though.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:52 AM

found my old athens/hydra trip report where the bus is included and other pertinet info.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...casanova&fid=2

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:05 AM

must not have copied the URL corectly. here is my old report, with i hope, some good info for your trip.

just a quick note with perhaps some valid info for those off here this summer.
Athens is VERY hot, so best suggestion i have is very thin light loose clothing.lots of sunscreen especially on hazy days.

athens is also a very beautiful city with hidden treasures, which you will find if you let yourself get lost in Psirri, Kiffissia, Kolonaki, Monastariki, and all around the base of the acropolis area.
many treed plazas with cafés.
execllent transport system..

airport bus runs all night long, and the 2.90 euro ticket is good for 24 hrs, so really pulls you into your next day, and also previous to departure day when going back.

great slouvaka,(bread and sliced meat w/ veggies, yogurt sauce "sandwich pita type bread" only 1.5-1.8 euros. a meal in itself. salads, pastries, ice creams. all were tasty.

many important museums were closed, but the jewel, (my favorite) the Benaki was fortunately open, plus it is free every thursday and open til midnight.
lovely restaurant upstairs in this old mansion, with buffet thursdays, reservations only. looked very tempting.
the Benaki has lovely cards and jewelry, gifts, etc. really nice private collection of artifacts,antiques, and two entire transposed actual rooms from a gorgeous mansion depicting what life USED to be..

another wonderful museum, recently donated to the greek government, on acropolis grounds, is the Kannelloupols in Plaka.

getting organized with the museums needs a bit of time as so many close at three or two p.m. and do not open in the afternoon.

If you can, try to see something at the "herodes atticus" outdoor historic theatre.
just sitting there when the stage is lit is worth the entrance fee.
all seats are good. i paid 22 euros to see the munich state ballet. breathtaking.

many music and dance events this summer for athens festival.

I suggest picking up one of the english magazines at airport "athens NOW" (2.30 E)to get the low down on all activities during your stay. depending on which hotel you are at, some locals have no idea as to where to even find this out.

NOT TO BE MISSED: you MUST have a drink atop the Grande Bretagne, (Syntagma Sq) newly renovated terrace roof garden during sunset, and until it is totally dark for an unforgettable evening.
(virgin strawberry daquiri 8 euros. the view was absolutely to die for.)
am looking forward to next trip to take some friends there.
also, piano bar open all day on the main floor. lovely atmosphere, although pricey, but justified. (appropriate dress for these places).

entrance may be restricted during games due to all the dignitaries there.

also, the galaxy bar atop the hilton is very nice. outdoor bar-b-que, drinks, dinner.

bus and metro tickets are not interchangeable. buses.45, metro .70
day pass for every type of transport 2.90.

Let's talk about coffee.
take awhile and decide what coffee you want as there are so many to choose from.. but be prepared for prices when seated at table. 3 euros and UP.
cheapest way, take out in plastic.. 1.2-1.8 euros.. frappées, etc. nice combinations, but if you use saccarin, give the fellow a pack before he makes your coffee.. so he can add it as many are pre-sweetened by waiter before he makes it up.

all in all, i cannot imagine not having a lovely time in this city..

quick island trip.

i enjoyed my two day trip to hydra.. starting off at pireaus port, gate E8 for boats to aegina, poros, hydra, spetses.

buy ticket at booth across from ship. first sailings usually around 8 a.m.
no vehicles on last two islands.
i chose hydra.

I took the slow ferry, 8.5 euros one way. there are many high speeds going continuously.
drawback with them is you cannot go on deck, and just zoom to destination. airplane type seating. reserved seats, etc. double the price but twice as fast.(1.5 hrs instead of 3.5)

many sweet bed and breakfast type places on hydra. www.hydradirect.com .
35 euros single. a/c, good bathroom, and convenient.
felt very safe there. (single woman ).. and had some great pastries and lovely atmposphere at dinner at "Veranda " restaurant up on hill overlooking town.
candles, quaint, and fair priced.

Took a speed boat to an umbrelled beach other end of island. great views. Bisti beach. 10 euros /rt. several departures and returns.
small groups go. not much else for me to do except beaches, hikes, and the historical archives in port. also lovely monastery with attractive courtyard. this was the perfect destination for me for an overnight to get the flavor.
could be just a day trip, but if you miss sunset up by the cannons, or breakfast at the bar below that hugs the side of cliff... well.. one less thing to write home about!

All in all, this has just whet my appetite for a future more extensive trip. my greek friends say the north is unbelievable.

also went to sounion, south of city on coastal road. took regional bus, 4 euros. follows the coast. beautiful as we went past the "athens beaches" which will be trammed in near future. almost finished with that convenient tram line from city.
lovely cafés and restaurants on beach south of athens.

one last suggestion, as the acropolis ticket lasts for four days, try not to get overdosed and do it all at once.
up to the parthenon one day is plenty, as it is very hot, (early morning, late p.m. best times to visit) and some of the other monuments another day.

enjoy this trip. I certainly did. your hotel can recommend eateries..as we had good food everywhere.

there are many free museums.. but you will need the list from tourist office or cultural center for that with opening times, etc.

gifts? well.. since i live in europe, and everything is getting so "SAME", i really only bought foodstuffs. but there was some nice jewellry, and some clothing perhaps, and the typical magnets,etc. but nothing terribly inexpensive. you'd better know your gold and silver before purchasing.

of course i also saw the "EVZONES" royal guard changing. you can see them preparing around back of palace.

i guess that's enough of your time! hope you have as good a time as i did.
good luck. i think the heat is your only enemy there, so you need to pace yourself.

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:50 AM

The Airport Express Bus #95 runs every 20 minutes 24/7 from outside the Main Hall into Athens to the street on the side of Syntagma Square opposite the Grand Bretagne Hotel. The cost is 2.9 Euro per person. Pay the driver and validate your ticket inside the bus in the ticket machine. The Metro to Syntagma Square costs 6 Euro, or 10 for 2 people or 15 for 3 people.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Does the Aitport Express leave from the airport every 20 minutes also? Does it make many stops along the way?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM

Yes, every 20 minutes going in either direction. It does make stops along the way. It normally takes a minimum of 45 minutes depending on traffic, so if you take it during rush hour it will take longer.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:27 PM

i believe the 2.90 euro ticket is for 24 hours, so you can use it for all public transport the day before.a real bargain.

i was by myself, but maybe with three a taxi is little more.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

any idea what a taxi would be from the airport to Athens?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 02:12 PM

Daytime rates are about 25 Euro plus extra baggage charges. Don't know what they are late at night, but be sure you ask in advance or you might be taken advantage of.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bro, I imagine that my husband will want to just take a taxi when we get to the airport in Athens fro Los Angeles - long flight.n But we certainly will take the metro or airport bus back to the airport the next morning