One night and day in Athens

Old Jun 16th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One night and day in Athens

I am female traveling solo from Istanbul into Athens via Aegean Air and land at 10:40PM on a Wed. I leave the next day at 5:20PM, Thurs. and since I have pretty much a whole night and day - I plan to leave the airport. Since this is not a layover - but 2 separate flights - I plan to store my bags in the airport.

During the day - I plan to start early and see the sunrise from across the Acropolis, then head into the Acropolis, Parthenon and walk through Plaka before heading back to the airport. In the chance that I have time to spare - I may go to the beach near Vouliagmeni. I feel like I have my day pretty planned out and would love any advice and tips.

But, I am unsure about what to do the night I arrive. I am not booking a hotel as I would like to save money and am looking to either sleep for a few hours at the airport or possibly go into Athens see it a bit and spend a night in a 24 hour diner or hotel restaurant. Are there any decent 24 hours places where I can spend a few hours my first night? Any suggestions for what I could do/see in the night and which areas I should avoid? I hear Greece is a night time city - but does everything shut down at a certain time in the night?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 05:40 AM

You can hang out at the airport overnight, but don't count on getting any sleep there. The airport has a "no sleeping on the floor" policy which is enforced by security guards. Seats in the airport lounges have armrests, so you can't stretch out on them either.

Athens is a late night city, so it would be possible to to spend most of the night in a club if you have the endurance. There is a bag check facility at the airport terminal, just to the left of the exit from Arrivals.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 06:30 AM

There are restaurants open 24/7 in the center of Athens, but personally i would avoid anything located in the area around and below Omonia Square.

I don't think it would be a good idea to hang out in such a restaurant in the center.

I would recommend instead a very good and inexpensive hostel in the heart of Athens : http://www.athenstyle.com/
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 06:34 AM

Monastiraki, Andrianou and Psiri are usually the go-to places for night-time fun & food.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all your advice. Based on the responses, I am contemplating booking a room in Athens - If I do and leave the airport that night - should I book at taxi in advance or would I be able to just walk out of the airport and get one. I land in Athens at 10:40pm.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Taking a taxi to the center has a fixed price of 35 Euro.
I would recommend taking the X95 express bus to Syntagma Square, which leaves every 15 minutes on a 24 hrs basis
Tocket price is 5 Euro.

http://www.oasa.gr/xmap.php?id=px95

or the Metro to Syntagma or Monastiraki ( if you decide to stay at the Athens Hostel)
The Metro leaves every 30 min, but last train is at 23:30 hrs. Ticket price is 8 Euro, or 14 if you buy a round trip ticket.

There's no need of booking a taxi in advance, taxis are waiting outside the arrivals hall, if you decide to take one.