Search

Overnight in Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overnight in Vienna

Hi

I will be in Vienna in February arriving at 8:35PM and departing at 4:40AM. I have never been to Vienna, so would love to go out but I know that it can be very cold that time of the year.

Can you please suggest how to best spend this time
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 10:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I am assuming you're flying? If so, and assuming that your luggage isn't being transferred for you, you'll have to carry it around with you as the airport luggage facilities only operate between 0530 and 2300. By the time you land and clear immigration (if necessary) and then return to the airport, you'll have about 5-ish hours.

February, until Carnivale, is ball season in Vienna; a number of cafes stay open into the wee hours, so you might find a table at which to enjoy a light meal. Bars and clubs will be open, too. The city is safe; perhaps have a snack at a Würstelstand and walk around the Inner Stadt if the weather is decent, recognizing of course that everything will be closed. Personally? I would just reserve a room at an airport hotel and settle in with a good book.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Taking the time to rest is definitely a consideration. I think I might get a cheap room in the city and take the train, so I can get taste of Vienna and some rest as well
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 08:25 AM

I think the best use of your time would be to sleep in a hotel at the airport (presuming that is how you are arriving and leaving).

Do you not want to sleep at night?

I didn't even like Vienna that much anyway, but can't imagine going to that much trouble in the middle of the night in February to see it.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Never been so just wanted to know if venturing out at night would be worth it, looks like its not