Overnight in Toledo

Nov 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Overnight in Toledo

We arrive into Madrid around 11AM (first time visit from Los Angeles) and plan to spend our 1st day there and most of our 2nd day. I can't decide if we should spend the 2nd night in Toledo by taking a late afternoon train there from Madrid or just make a day trip out of it on our 3rd day to avoid the hotel checkin/checkout process. Another option is to stay overnight in Toledo on the 3rd night.

I should also mention that on our 4th day we plan to head to Sevilla for 3 days.

My Rick Steves book says Toledo is worth 2 nights but I waned to see if anyone on this board has any advice/thoughts on this because I know others just make a day trip to Toledo.

Thank you!
Nov 11th, 2005, 11:26 AM
SRS

We loved Toledo! I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

Are you taking the AVE to Sevilla? If so, it runs out of Madrid, so you might want to be there...

I don't like day trips as much as spending the night, but that is me. I usually like touristy places better in the evening after many of the daytrippers have gone...

So I might go straignt to Toledo on arrival day (since for us that day is usually kinda rough anyway b/c of exhaustion). Spend the night. Then go back to Madrid for the next 2 nights. And then catch the AVE from there.

However, if you are driving, then I would stay in Madrid for nights 1 and 2 and then drive to Toledo for night 3 and then head out to Sevilla the next morning.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!!!

Sally
Nov 11th, 2005, 11:27 AM

As wondrous as Toledo is i think a day trip would suffice for the appetites of most folks. Not that staying in a museum town like this overnight isn't sweet but relocating hotels is a drag. I day tripped there and had a wonderful time and saw everything i wanted to in this rather compact town.
Nov 11th, 2005, 11:51 AM

We stayed for 2 nights, one full day there. A day trip would be more than enough if you really feel you have to see it. I would skip it and spend the extra day in Seville.

If you want a walled-city, Carmona - just outside of Seville - is gorgeous and not as touristy as Toledo.
Nov 12th, 2005, 08:04 AM

We chose to stay one night and were very glad we did. The atmosphere after the day trippers clear out is different, and it is a beautiful place at night.
Nov 13th, 2005, 07:19 AM

The fact that AVE trains are now running to Toledo and it is only 35 minutes each way makes it easier either way.
Nov 14th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Agree that Toledo is wonderful at night -- the day crowds are gone and it is a joy just to meander through the dimly lit streets. I would stay at least one night there.
Nov 15th, 2005, 11:34 AM

I had been going to Spain and Toledo for years before I stayed overnight there. It is definitely worth the stay. The crowds are gone, etc.
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:32 PM

I have to chime in with those who say to spend at least one night. We loved Toledo and couldn't imagine doing it as a day trip. The city takes on a whole different persona after the daytrippers leave - and it's much better!

I would agree that if you have to go back to Madrid to get to Seville, it might be best to go straight to Toledo. But the logistics are up to you.

Enjoy!
Nov 15th, 2005, 07:22 PM

We stayed overnight and am glad we did. I'd highly recommend Hostal Cardenal (a Rick Steves splurge)--it's fabulous!
Nov 16th, 2005, 03:40 PM

It was quite awhile ago... but we stayed overnite at the parador in Toledo. The view of the city from the parador was unforgettable.
Nov 16th, 2005, 05:09 PM

"t was quite awhile ago... but we stayed overnite at the parador in Toledo. The view of the city from the parador was unforgettable."

The parador is too far outide the city. It's not a good place to stay. You want to stay inside the city walls.
Nov 17th, 2005, 12:25 AM

We took a day trip to Toledo and were pretty happy and satisfied with it. I would spend more time in Seville if I could!

Nov 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Toledo is definitely worth spending 2 nights, but even 1 night is magical.....We just returned fro Spain and Toledo was one of our favorite places in Spain....The evenings in Toledo are lovely and the day trippers have left........We stayed at Hotel Santa Isabel and loved it.....I recommend the little tour train which takes you outside the old walls and gives fantastic perspectives of the city......

Search this Thread