Feedback on my Itinerary

Search

Feedback on my Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on my Itinerary

We are going to Spain to visit our daughter who is studying in Seville. We have one week-over Santa Semana.

Right now, we land early in the morning in Madrid and plan to head to Seville later in the day via the Ave. Hopefully, we won't be too bleary eyed to check out the Prado for a few hours. We will stay at the Hotel Alimnar for 2 nights then meander to Rondo via rental car-daughter in tow. We will stay at the San Gabriel for 1 night then head to Cordoba spending one night there. Currently, we plan to drive to Toledo the next morn and stay the night there as well. We will drop the car off there, take the fast train to Madrid, kiss my daughter goodby (after checking out the rest of the Prado or some other Madrid sights) and spend the night near the airport (Sofitel).

In Summary
2 nights Seville
1 night Rondo
1 night Cordoba
1 night Toledo
1 night Madrid-near Airport

I know we are covering a lot of territory but it seems do-able (who needs sleep?). I would love some feedback, especially recommendations for hotels in Toledo and Cordoba. Do you think we should stay somewhere else beside Cordoba via Toledo. Dump the car in Toledo or dump it at the airport? What are the not to missed restaurants along the way? Thanks...

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:26 PM

Hi

Your cramming too much in. I wouldn't bother driving - use the AVE trains. I would restrict it to:

Seville: 2 nights. It may be possible to get a connecting domestic flight from Madrid to Seville. Check schedules - you never know your luck.
Cordoba: 1 night
Madrid: 3 nights. Toledo is an easy day trip from Madrid so no need to stay overnight. There is also plenty to see in Madrid. It's a fabulous city. The airport is an inexpensive taxi ride so don't waste a night away from the action.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM

I agree with worldinabag, spend more time in Madrid proper and then catch an inexpensive taxi to the Airport,instead of wasting time in a hotel near the airport. Same thing in Cordoba, I wouldn't bother driving to Ronda, instead I would enjoy nearby amazing,
Medinat-az-Zahara,only 8 kms NW of the center of town plus a visit to the medieval castle of Almodovar a few kilometers more using the same road.
Give yourself sometime to feel the places you will be visiting. Do not rush ....
You will be able to take the AVA from Seville to Cordoba, and the AVA back to Madrid from Cordoba.
You can of course stay overnight in Toledo which is not a bad idea, and then the last 2 nights in Madrid.
Can I recommend a wonderful hostal in Toledo?
It is called Hostal Santo Tome. We very seldom stay in hostals, this particular one has a great location, lovely rooms and all the conveniences of a hotel for a great rate. Good luck.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:54 AM

HI, I was thinking what would I do in your shoes.

I would take the AVA to Seville, stay as you have planned two nights in Seville, and the next morning leaving in an early afternoon train to Cordoba.No later than 2 PM.
This will allow me to enjoy a little more Seville with an extra morning there. Sleep in
Cordoba two nights,the first day which is going to be half a day, I would visit the MEzquita.walk around Santa Cruz, have a nice dinner at El Caballo Rojo Restaurant o tapas at Pepe de la Juderia. The second day I would spend the morning visiting
Medinat Az Zahara and may be the Almodavar del Rio Castle, in the evening again walk in Santa Cruz or visit some place I might be interested.
Next morning early I would take the AVA train to Madrid, check in a hotel and enjoy Madrid.
Next morning early I would go by the day to Toledo, but if you really wish to see Toledo by night and sleep there it also can be done. I would then sleep in Toledo,returning early next morning to Madrid staying in the same hotel. ( most likely the hotel will keep the luggage so I could travel with almost no luggage to Toledo) spend the whole day in Madrid sleeping there
and next morning call a taxi to go to Barajas Airport or the shuttle.

In summary, two nights + one morning in Seville
Two nights,( one and half day in Cordoba)
One day and one night in Madrid
One day and one night in Toledo
One day and one night in Madrid
Airport.
Hope this helps. This way no car rentals are necessary.-Unless you wish to rent for one day to go to Medinat Az Zahara but I am sure ther must be other ways.
Also I would be careful to arrive in time to visit the Mezquita the first day I 'll be in Cordoba,considering in Winter they close at 5.30PM and in Summer at 7PM. I would like to visit it at least for a full hour +.-
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

We are not huge city people-and wanted to see some of the countryside. My daughter has also spent time in Madrid but hasn't seen rural Spain. It seems like everyone is saying forget about the countryside and focus on the cities~with the short of a trip, are the White Hill towns the part we should eliminate given our limited time frame?
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 04:11 AM

"2 nights Seville
1 night Rondo
1 night Cordoba
1 night Toledo
1 night Madrid-near Airport"

You are going to the right places, but
Here's better.

1. Arrive and go straight to Toledo for the night. Don't waste time in Madrid at all. The Prado is a complete bore.

2. Next day, train back to Atocha and then take the AVE to Cordoba. Get off the train and go the the Mezquita and Alcazar. There is much else to Cordoba. Get back on the train an go to Seville. There is really no need to stay overnight in Cordoba. You can walk to the sites from the train station in 20 minutes.

3. After Seville, drive to Ronda. If it is Thursday, however, stop in Jerez for the horse show. An absolute don't miss.

Avoid driving in urban areas at all cost. Use the Ave to go to and from Madrid to Andalucia. There are virtually no street signs in Spain and the roads are a confusing maze of one way streets.

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 04:32 AM

Each person has different opinions, but this is the first time I hear someone say that the Prado is a complete bore. Of course you can also get in and out to a city have a look at one of the landmarks and rush out.
Again each person has different opinions and all are perfectly valid.
By the way what is Rondo? I guess it must be Ronda...
I believe the White towns, Pueblos Blancos are lovely;and the hills around them too,
it is your trip and it is up to you. IF you feel you rather visit Ronda or Arcos de la Frontera instead of let us say Cordoba it is your call. Have a great trip.
( Just one bid of advice, do not miss the Prado)
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 04:53 AM

The Prado, next to the Accademia in Venice, is the finest museum I have ever visited in Europe.

If you don't enjoy museums, or don't have any interest in Goya, Velasquez or Bosch, please don't go! I'm very serious. Those of us who really enjoy seeing paintings find it really bothersome that tourists who really have no interest in art or its history mob European museums because the guidebooks told them "it's a must-see."

If you are not a "city person," you are not likely to enjoy being in Madrid. Enjoy walks in the park and a sherry in the Plaza de Oriente, but otherwise do yourself and everybody a favor by leaving the art museums to the people who have moved heaven and earth to get their to have a good look at the art work.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Hello Hello-original poster here-

I never said anything about the Prado except it is my main interest in Madrid. That being said, I think most people would agree is okay not to make cities your number one priority when visiting a place. Given that we are not city people (although we do enjoy musuems) what makes the most sense for our itinerary?

Seville is a must as we would like to see where our daughter is living and we want to be there prior to the start of Santa Semana (which begins 3 days after we arrive). That and the fact that we have a 6 am flight out of Madrid our last day are our main constraints.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Yes, margib! Sorry my enthusiasm for defending the Prado got in the way, needlessly.

I like the idea of your getting a connecting flight straight to Seville. As for Madrid, I would come back early at the end of your trip to see a bit of Madrid -- most especially the Prado, but I wouldn't drastically cheat the time you are spending seeing your daughter and Andalucia.

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:23 AM

Thursday & Friday of Semana Santa are a 'mob scene' in Sevilla. With all the Processions, many streets are closed to traffic; so trying to get around in Sevilla can be a nightmare. But that's also when you should be there.

I think you are trying to crowd too much into a 1-week visit. Why not just Madrid (daytrip to Toledo and/or Cordoba) and Sevilla (Thu & Fri)?
BTW
Toledo had an Easter Sunday Corrida de Toros in past years. The Hotel Maria Cristina is adjacent to the Plaza de Toros.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Hi margib, it is me again, I hope it is not too much.
Nothing is wrong with not liking cities, how about this:
Madrid, from the airport to Atocha, with the jetlag and all, AVA to Seville. ( or by plane)
Seville two nights
Rent car, one night in the country side
Granada one night

next day leaving the Car in Cordoba, enjoying a visit to the Mezquita,
Late train to Madrid, one night in Madrid
Toledo one night
Madrid another nigh
.................................................. .....................
This way, 2 nights in Seville,
one night in the country side,
one night in Granada,
Cordoba dayly visit
Late Ava to Madrid,Madrid one night
Toledo one night
Madrid last night.
Early taxi to airport, I took the other day a 6.00 AM
flight to Amsterdam from Madrid. No problem.
Only thing that would be NO good is that your full day in Madrid, the last one, turns out to be a Monday because the Prado would be closed.
Hope this works....what ever you deceide should reserve asap.....well, I guess you must know this.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:36 AM

"Author: Graziella5b
Date: 03/04/2006, 08:32 am
Each person has different opinions, but this is the first time I hear someone say that the Prado is a complete bore. Of course you can also get in and out to a city have a look at one of the landmarks and rush out.
Again each person has different opinions and all are perfectly valid.
By the way what is Rondo? I guess it must be Ronda...
I believe the White towns, Pueblos Blancos are lovely;and the hills around them too,
it is your trip and it is up to you. IF you feel you rather visit Ronda or Arcos de la Frontera instead of let us say Cordoba it is your call. Have a great trip.
( Just one bid of advice, do not miss the Prado)"

This is the most arrogant, passive-agressive post I've ever seen. First you say that Rondo must mean Ronda. I you knew that, they why make an issue out of it just to point out someone's minor mistake. Then you say that it is your call if you want to visit Ronda or Arcos rather than Cordoba, then it is your call. We;; who else's would it be? Yours?

Graziella5b, sir, you are a complete jerk.

BTW The Prado is a complete bore. Besides, there isn't a word of English anywhere. They make no attempt whatever to make the museurm user-friendly to non Spanish speakers. It is easily to the worst run major museum I've ever seen. As for the "art," it is a bunch of murky old pictures. The Uffizi or Vatican Museum makes this look like The "Thomas Kinkade Collection/"

And my view is far from unique. Even art students we met in Spain who specially came to Madrid said the same thing. Virtually everyone we talked to much preferred the Thyssen.