Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which of the Baltic beaches (in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) are the best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to Russia and the Baltics in early June. I see there are many beach choices. We are looking for not-too-busy, white sand, toplessness acceptable beaches, not too far from Riga or Tallinn. Any suggestions? Has anyone been to the island of Prangli? Would that be a good choice?
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Kristinelaine: Pårnu was recommended to me (in Estonia), although I'd guess it's fairly busy. We won't be there until the very end of June (and won't be leaving the U.S, until the 22nd of June), so if you get there, post a review. I believe it's about two hours south of Tallinn on the coast road. The hotel there claims to serve meals "just like they did in 1930." Make of that what you will...we hope it will be fun.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM

"toplessness acceptable beaches" you say. What does that mean?

Overall, if you want a topless beach pick any in Europe, and if you want a beach that is not topless stay in the USA.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:29 PM
hsv

I did enjoy Pärnu, Estonia, too. A wide beech with yellowish sand that isn't too deep, though.
Water is shallow for a long way out, so it does get reasonably warm.
Pärnu takes pride in being Estonia's "summer capital", so it well might be busy in season.

Haapsalu on the Estonian coast to the North East of Pärnu is quite well known, yet not as busy as Pärnu. Beaches there aren't wide, either, but worth a consideration should you be in the area (it is quite a bit of a drive from either Tallin or Pärnu).

There are some beaches close to Riga that are quite pleasant, too. While the resort of Jurmala is quite busy and for some reason or other did not appeal that much to me, a bit further out in the direction of Kolka (but just after the "city limits" of Jurmala) you'll find long stretches of beach seperated from the road by idyllic pine meadows that are hardly populated.
A bit to the North of Riga, the beaches around Saulkrasti are worth looking into, too.

Unfortunately I haven't been yet, but the Lithuanian side of the Curonian Spit and its resorts like Nida and Palanga are high on my list.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:06 AM

"The hotel there claims to serve meals "just like they did in 1930."

Was that Ranna hotel? All I know that the food was good, the best in Pärnu at least 5 years ago. Try eel.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:39 AM
hsv

I second the recommendation of Ranna Hotell, which is part of the Scandic chain and as such is an affiliate of Hilton.
I believe they do indeed have a section of the menu that resembles meals from the 1930s.

It's a lovely Bauhaus-style structure BTW.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

To hsv: thanks so much for all the detail. It is much appreciated.
To Midnightsun: I should be back before you leave. I'll try to remember to post about the beaches.
To hopscotch: That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure about beaches in this particular part of Europe.