Outdoor dining in Lisbon

Search

Outdoor dining in Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outdoor dining in Lisbon

I have read about the nice terraces at numerous Lisbon restaurants. However, we don't do lunch. Will it be warm enough to eat dinner outside at 8:00 or 9:00 P.M. in mid-May. Do the restaurants have heaters, like in southern California and elsewhere?

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:52 PM

yes it will, do a search on goggle and find out
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

What am I supposed to check on Google? Most Lisbon restaurants don't have web sites; of those that do, most don't offer English translations; and even the ones that do have translations don't mention heaters.
I can Google the high and low temps, but I'm not sure about finding out the 8:00 pm temp.
I'll confess I haven't done a search for sunset times.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:32 AM

Matt and lobo_mau are very helpful with recommendations for dining in Lisbon. Do a search here for the Lisbon Dining Club. Maybe they will see this question and offer some suggestions for outdoor dining.

Lisbon is great - have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cafeteria in the Belem cultural center has a beautiful terrace almost next to the river. The food is awful and expensive but the view is great. Good for a coffee only.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I haven's noticed heaters at any of the restaurants where I have dined in Lisbon. I like the Portugalia Brewery restaurant several hundred meters west of Cais do Sodre (quay side). It has a very nice view of the river and bridge (25 April). There are at least two other Portugalia restaurants, one at the Colombo mall, the other (original) on Almirante Reis near Metro Alameda. Neither has an al fresco (terraza) dining area.

In Belem, across the main road from the Centro Cultural (there's an underpass) near the Discoveries Monument, there's a Hennessey's Irish Pub & Restaurant with views of the Torre de Belem, the 25 April Bridge and the Tagus River.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Hi, mscarls,

The only heaters I've seen are in a very nice vegetarian restaurant, Terra, which is near one of my favorite public squares in Lisbon, Principe Real. I've eaten outside in Terra's backyard garden even during the winter months.

One of my favorite outdoor eating places is Lautasco, the Alfama restaurant that fills up a nice little dead end courtyard. It was the place where I began my life long addiction to grilled sardines.

Another, very different but also nice outdoor venue is the Italian restaurant in Hotel Dom Pedro. It’s called Il Gattopardo, and it’s got a very nice outdoor terrace, which looks out over the Amoeiras district and its fanciful, modern office buildings. Good lasagna, good risotto. Not too expensive either, if you just have pasta, even though the hotel is the latest and most fashionable 5 star in Lisbon. We tried it on a whim once when we wanted some pasta and have been back a couple of times on subsequent trips, but usually only if our stay is long enough to make us tire of that delicious fresh grilled fish.