Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where to stay in prague, by old town square or wesceles square?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which area has the best access to Prague sites and which is safest, Old Town Square, or Wesceles Square?

Thanks
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM

They are so close, to me it is a toss up.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:01 AM

The distance between them is trivial. There are some seedy areas not far from Wenceslas Square, but I don't think they are particularly dangerous.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:05 AM

We stayed in Josefov which we felt was a very good location, near Old Town Square. Unless things have changed since we visited Prague in 2003, we were told to avoid Wenceslas Square at night because it could be a bit dicey. I have a file on Prague, which I will be happy to e-mail you. If you're interested let me know on this thread.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM

I like Old Town Square much better than Wenceslas Square and it is also more central to the main sites. But Prague in general is small (relatively) so you can stay near either square and still walk or take a tram or metro pretty easily.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM

I think it's just personal preference. I much prefer Old Town, but wouldn't judge either as a worry in terms of safety, and both have good transportation options. I guess Old Town Sq has the best access to some that are right on or nearby it, and it is closer to the bridge. There isn't anything that exciting around Wenceslas Square to me (of course, it is historic in itself -- the national museum is up there, but it's nothing I have found that compelling).
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:17 AM
MaureenB

We much preferred Old Town Square to Wenceslas (sp?) Square, which we thought was too much like an outdoor mall with souvenier shops and American teen chain stores. Also saw shoplifters working the crowds there. Old Town is much more charming IMHO.
>-

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I have stayed in several ares in Prague including Wenceslas square. What I stayed in apartment on the square,off the one side of the square down some of the side steets were a few clubs. When going back to our apartment at night there were lots of people on the corners with flyers for these clubs trying to get punters in. I did not feel it was unsafe and if you said no thanks they left you but you did feel as if you were running the guantlet every night when returning after an evening out. By the way I am a middle age Gran who was about 43 at the time with my Hubby we went for his 50th birthday. So maybe that is why they did not bother us too much.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Depends which places you want to visit. Probably Old Town, for a first timer. You'll want to see all the must-sees first.

When I rent apartments, though, I almost always end up near Wenceslas, which is amazingly convenient for finding food, coffee shops, groceries, etc. Museums are over there, along with some good hotels, restaurants, jazz clubs, and theaters.

Yes, there are all kinds of "shady" characters hanging out in Wenceslas Square, but they are not necessarily dangerous. They are looking for people who want to frequent the strip clubs, etc., and will leave you alone if you are not interested. In fact, I like having them around, because there is always someone standing around at all hours, unlike some of the dark, winding streets of Old Town & Mala Strana.

I think most of the pickpockets hang out in Old Town & at the Charles Bridge, waiting for unassuming tourists, since that is where most of them stay!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Old Town Square. Much closer to tourist sights - and there are some areas near Wenceslaus Square that specialize in ladies of the evening.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM

When I have been around Wenceslas Square, the majority of people there were tourists, also. So I think there are still plenty of pickpockets there, as well as to the ones frequenting bars and dicey clubs, who are always prime for fleecing. Maybe more tourists stay in hotels elsewhere, but they sure spend lots of time on the streets of Wenceslas square in the daytime.