Our two week trip to Spain!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are back from our wonderful two week trip to Spain!

Since many of you on this forum helped shape this vacation for my wife and I it is only fitting that I write about it.

The Itinerary: 3 days in Malaga including day visit to Granada
1 day in Ronda
4 days in Sevilla
5 days in Barcelona including a day visit to Figueres

Our flight from JFK to Barcelona with a connecting flight to Malaga was a bit tense for us as we were delayed in NY and we were concerned we would miss our connecting flight. We didn't although we ran through the airport . Our flight via Vuehling airlines was great!

Arrived in Malaga, rented a car with a GPS ( highly recommend) and off we went to the AC Marriott Malaga Hotel. TIPS: ALL AUTOMATIC CARS ARE MIDSIZE AND NOT SMALL. TAKE PHOTOS OF YOUR CAR BEFORE LEAVING.

While the hotel was wonderful -parking at the hotel to check in was an issue. Excellent location, our breakfast was included, great roof top bar for sunset viewing, wifi downstairs in lobby, no concierge but very helpful staff. The truth is you don't need a car while in Malaga. Everything is within walking distance unless you choose to take day trips as we did.

Highlights in Malaga: Excellent city to explore by foot. We walked all around the Maritimo (waterfront), La Malagueta (bullring) La Cathedral Manguita, English Cemetery ( check out closing times), Alcazaba, Roman theater, Picasso's house, Paseo de Parque, Atarazana ( market), Calle Marques de Larios ( we watched a Fashion Show on this street that was spectacular),Thyssen Museum and the Centro de Arte Contemporaneo Museum were wonderful. TIPS: BRING A GOOD CITY MAP WITH YOU AND JUST WALK AROUND THE HISTORIC AREA AND GET LOST!
ALSO ( IF YOU ARE A SENIOR) YOU WILL GET SENIOR RATES WHEN SHOWING THEM YOUR DRIVING LICENSE AND/OR PASSPORT.

Restaurants:
Loved Cafe Aranda ( for churros con chocolat). Very close to the market Atarazana. Don't miss the wonderful mural painted on this market building.

Enjoyed Godoy ( upscale restaurant on the harbor). Lots of fresh fish.

Cafe de Cervantes for the very best Tapas. Must make reservations. Loved the Ce'sar Principe wine.

El Pimpi ( has two locations). We had some sangria near the Roman Theater. I think the other location may be better.

El Gueno de Strachan. Also has two locations and both are wonderful. One is right off of Calle de Larios and the other ( de Strachan) close to the Hotel AC Malaga.

Day trip to Granada and the Alhambra by car was easy. It took us close to an hour and a half and you should purchase your tickets in advance. We spent the entire day here and absolutely enjoyed the entire experience. Be sure to put on your walking shoes here especially walking around the After Life section. TIP: OUR DRIVE UP TO GRANADA WAS VIA THE HIGHWAY AND THE TRIP BACK ALONG THE COAST. GREAT VIEWS AND A STOPOVER IN NERJE WAS AN EXCELLENT CHOICE. ALSO SUGGEST YOU PURCHASE HEADSETS OR A GUIDE FOR THE ALHAMBRA AND BE SURE TO BRING SOME WATER AND/OR SNACKS WITH YOU.

( Part 2: Ronda to follow)
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 09:10 AM

great info, thanks....waiting for more!
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 09:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Great start - waiting for more.

We are headed to Andalucia next May and plan to spend time in Cordoba, Granada and Malaga as well as Seville and Ronda.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Nice, allyboy! Thanks.

I'm planning spring trip to Seville, so especially looking forward to that part.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Part 2: Ronda.

We decided to take the mountain route from Malaga to Ronda which was beautiful, however, the GPS failed us once we arrived in the city. It took us about 6 people to finally direct us to the Hotel San Gabriel located just past the bridge overlooking the Gorge. Although we only stayed one night here we thought it was a wonderful place and the staff extremely helpful. Once again our problem ( with a larger car) was navigating the small streets especially to drop off our luggage. The San Gabriel doesn't have their own parking lot, however, you can park nearby with a pass offered by the hotel.

After unloading and parking we took a stroll to the Santa Maria Church, had a nice lunch at Meson El Sacrlstan, walked along Gorge, past the bullfight ring and eventually a huge hike down the Gorge. It is really spectacular taking this hike with wonderful photo ops along the way. The sunset view from the bridge was awesome but not easy to photograph. A dinner suggestion from San Gabriel led us to a delicious tapas bar Tapajava in the evening. TIP: LOVED THE TRIP FROM MALAGA TO RONDA AND SUGGEST YOU DO THIS EARLIER IN THE DAY TO AVOID THE TOURIST BUSSES ARRIVING. ALSO CANNOT SEE STAYING IN RONDA FOR MORE THAN ONE NIGHT UNLESS YOU ARE USING IT AS A BASE TO EXPLORE OTHER WHITE VILLAGES.

The next morning we headed for Sevilla, however, first stopped in Grazalema which is a lovely white village on the way. TIP: GO TO THE TOURIST OFFICE AND PICK UP A WALKING TOUR ( 1 EURO). FOLLOW THE WALKING TOUR EVEN THOUGH AT SOME POINTS YOU ARE WALKING UPHILL. PARK YOUR CAR IN THE FREE UPPER LOT.
Enoyed a nice coffee and roll in the square with its outdoor cafes. Next we drove to Zahara and the best part of this was the mountain route. Wonderful views and two scenic spots to park and view. While Zahara might have been a nice village to visit, for us it was nothing more than walking into the village and returning almost immediately. There was a power blackout and nothing was opened! TIP: BRING A PAIR OF BINOCULARS IF YOU CAN SO THAT YOU CAN REALLY ENJOY THE SCENERY.

We left Zahara and drove to Sevilla to return our rental car. I chose to drop off the car at the Santa Justa Railroad Station rather than the airport because it seemed easy and closer to our hotel. It was an easy drop off and we took a cab to the Hotel Amadeus.

Part 3 -- Sevilla!
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 11:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Enjoying your TR! Looking forward to more.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

SEVILLA--PART 3

No longer having a car we are reliant on our feet and an occasional taxi when needed. We love our Hotel Amadeus and we are staying in quite a nice room called the Mozart. This is a very special hotel with an excellent location, attentive staff, free wine in the afternoon and music instruments all over the hotel for you to play.

Highlights for us: Tour of The Alcazar with a wonderful tour guide Maria Ramirez Leria. You can contact her: [email protected]. Not only did she do a great job inside the Alcazar but she recommended a Flamenco club to us which we thoroughly enjoyed: Musseo del Baile.
It is a very intimate flamenco club with excellent dancers.

The Cathedral which is practically around the corner from Hotel Amadeus is one of the most impressive cathedrals I have ever seen! We did walk the 35 ramps up to the top ( The Giralda). It is an extra ticket charge and I suggest you arrive early and go to the top first--less crowded.
Tip: DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE CATHEDRAL IS THE HOTEL DONNA MARIA. GO TO THE TOP AFTER 3 PM OR CLOSER TO SUNSET FOR GOOD PHOTO OP OF THE CATHEDRAL. YOU CAN HAVE A DRINK AND JUST BE DAZZLED BY ITS BEAUTY!

Walked all over the city: Hospital de los Venerables, University of Sevilla, Plaza de Espana ( don't fail to see all the murals there), Jewish Quarter, the Metropol Parasol is a huge sculpture shaped like a mushroom and is a wonderful neighborhood. Lots of restaurants and cafes here and an easy walk from the Cathedral. Also walked through the Barrio de Santa Cruz.

Also had a really good Tapas dinner at Eslava. Eslava has both a tapas bar and restaurant. The restaurant requires reservations but not the tapas bar. This is a popular place and I advise to arrive earlier and get your name on the list. Great neighborhood!.

The best thing about Sevilla are the numerous cafes, tapas bars, neighborhoods and
the people. We met a lovely couple who were staying at the Hotel La Casa de La Juderia right near us. This place was very unique with lots of common areas, beautiful and historic areas within the hotel.

Next: Day trip to Cordoba

Walked to the Triana neighborhood but was disappointed here except for the exceptional lunch and view from the Abades Triana restaurant. A bit pricey but absolutely worth it!!
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 06:45 AM

Excellent tips, allyboy. Thank you.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Cordoba

Cab to the Santa Justa railroad station and a round trip ticket to Cordoba. After a 45 minute ride and a cab to the Mezquita we arrived just as it was opening! If you can arrange a tour in english it would be better than using an audio guide ( which we did). The guide is confusing and you will get so much more out of a personal guide. TIP: WHEN PURCHASING A RR TICKET TO CORDOBA CHECK OUT THE TIMES WHEN THERE IS A REDUCED FARE. ALSO ASK WHERE YOU NEED TO STAND WHILE WAITING FOR YOUR TRAIN AS YOUR TICKET CORRESPONDS TO A SPECIFIC CAR/COACH.

The Mezquita was an amazing piece of architecture and we spent several hours here. Also walked across the Roman Bridge and visited the Jewish Quarter nearby the Mezquita. It becomes very crowded so try to arrive early. It was very hot the day we went and so it is important to carry water with you if presented with the same conditions. Our return to Sevilla was the same as coming: cab to station, train to Sevilla and cab to our hotel.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM

Some great tips. Thanks! Bookmarking for my May 2014 trip.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Barcelona!

When I started to research our trip to Spain I decided to base our time there around the La Merce Festival . I watched some videos on Youtube and I was hooked! So our last five days would be spent in Barcelona during this incredible festival.

After a quick plane ride on Vuehling Airlines and an even quicker cab ride to our Hotel Chic & Basic Born we were ready for some sightseeing, good food and the party atmosphere that I knew awaited us. My wife was hesitant about fighting the crowds but after all the fun experiences we ended up having she was a convert!

There are so many highlights in Barcelona to see and here are the ones we enjoyed the most and not in any particular order:

Parc Guell, La Sagrada Familia, La Ramblas, Montjuic Hill, Cathedral La Seu, Barri Gotico, Placa Reial, Placa d'Espanya, Monument a Colon ( Christopher Columbus), Font Magica, Port Vell, Arc de Triump, Palau Guell, Passeig de Garcia, Picasso Museum, Joan Miro Museum,, Liceau Opera House, Boqueria,, Barceloneta, Parc de la Ciutadella, Casa Milo, La Pedrera, Casa Battio.

We walked throughout the city with an excellent map and a plan. TIP: THERE IS SO MUCH TO SEE HERE AND WONDERFUL NEIGHBORHOODS THAT I SUGGEST YOU FIRST DETERMINE WHICH SIGHTS ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU, PICK A NEIGHBORHOOD, WALK THERE AND EXPLORE . THE MONTJUIC PARK IS A PLACE WHERE YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE A SUBWAY TO AND HAS SO MANY MUSEUMS, FOUNTAINS AND PARKS THAT YOU MAY HAVE TO JUST CHOOSE ONE THING TO SEE AS WE DID. WE CHOSE THE JOAN MRO MUSEUM.

The La Merce festival was all day long, every day that we were there filled with dance, music, theater, parades, fireworks, human tower building, street performers, buskers, art, fire breathing dragons ( not really but people dressed in costumes and fireworks shooting from head gear), sing alongs, rides and not just for adults but especially for kids. We were never bored and only a few times were we turned away because it was too crowded. It was exciting to see and be a part of this celebration. Check it out on Youtube!

The Chic & Basic Born Hotel was also an experience! The location was wonderful. Right in the heart of the Born and right next to the Bari Gotic neighborhood and very close to the Parc de la Ciutadella. The staff was excellent and always available to help us. The room we had was somewhat strange. While I was certainly aware of what the room would be like in advance it was another to experience it. It was rather compact with adjustable colored lights and beads surrounding your entrance into the room. The shower was in the middle of the room and always, always leaked ( poor design). Although our room was on the main street we couldn't hear anything when going to sleep. Also had a wonderful balcony where we watched an unbelievable parade of thousands gather practically right under us! There are common rooms and a lounge that offer drinks and food. Definitely a hotel for the younger set--not sure about us Seniors.

If you are a vegetarian as my wife is you will love La Bascula in El Born. Check out the days it is open as it is not opened every day. Regarding food and restaurants: Due to the events of La Merce keeping us so busy we chose to eat where we could and when we had time. Also by this time we were Tapassed out and chose to eat other type of foods. There are so many cafe's, restaurants, tapas bars that you should definitely have ideas where you want to eat before arriving here.

We also took a day trip to Figueres to experience the Dali Museum. TIP; RESERVE YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE AND TAKE THE FAST TRAIN THERE. PLAN TO STAY AT THE DALI FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS, GIVE YOURSELF TIME TO HAVE SOMETHING TO EAT AFTER AND TAKE THE TRAIN BACK BEFORE SUNSET. DO NOT MISS THIS MUSEUM! IT IS SPECTACULAR.

And so our trip comes to an end. We loved our time in Spain and have no regrets where we visited nor the hotels we stayed in. Loved being at the La Merce festival and all the sights we were fortunate to visit. Much appreciation to the Fodorites who helped in the planning and the suggestions you gave me.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 12:09 PM

The shower was in the middle of the room ? Where was/were the bed(s) ?? Truly bizarre.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

You enter the room and the bed is immediately to your left. You go down one step and to your left is a round shower, sink and small claustrophobic toilet. There are mirrors everywhere to make your room look bigger. No closet--two small plastic drawers and some hanging space. I know it sounds bizarre but it was certainly cozy and considering how little time we actually spent here it turned out okay.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 01:12 PM

Wild. Are you sure you weren't in a hot-sheet place with all those mirrors ??
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Bedar. This is really a wonderful hotel. The mirrors just make your room appear larger with no other intention. Check out some of the photos on Tripadvisor.