Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

trying to make heads or tails of andalusia please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have been trying to research and come up with a suitable itinerary for andalusia area. I fly in and out of malaga in feb. I want to see local cultural people I generally like small quaint towns but, i don't want to miss the major attractions .I originally wanted to day trip to Morroco but in my research several people have suggested against it. How does this sound

Day 1 arrive in malaga in the afternoon head to marbella stay at la villa marbella

Day 2 explore marbella area relax

Day 3 head to seville early unsure if getting a car that idea makes me nervous. possible city tour sights I would like to see flamingo show. alminar hotel??

day 4 seville White villages

day 5 ronda explore town HOTEL SAN GABRIEL?

day 6 head back to malaga anything interesting on the way? I leave early the next morning should I stay in malaga? where?would mijas be possible with early flight?

what do you think? or should I try and work in granada ? I was wondering if marbella wouldn't be the best choice for the first day?
too much to see and so little time and money
thanks in advance

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Malaga it self is worth a bit of time (fortress and museum and art gallery of minor spanish artist) (well not so minor) Malaga to the airport is easy by a train and avoids parking. A cheap clean hotel is Hotel Victoria in Malaga (very small rooms) but clean.

Train to Seville is also very good. Car beyond Seville or Cordoba to the hills makes good sense and lets you get used to the area before taking the wheel
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Perhaps you should rent a car for delivery at the Malaga airport. You can then drive to your hotel in Marbella.
However, I would not drive to Seville as you have a very short time and parking is almost impossible and getting around is not that easy. You can take a bus to Seville from Marbella or perhaps sign up for a tour. Of course a day tour would mean no flamenco show at night. If you do the one day Seville you can return to Marbella and then continue with Day 4 plan. After Ronda you can visit Mijas on the way back to Malaga. However, with a car to return and an early flight it might be easier to stay at a hotel near the Malaga airport. There is an IBIS very near. Mijas is really not that far but if your flight is indeed very early I would want to be as close to the airport as possible.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 07:21 AM
ComfyShoes

cmazza, You really don't have a lot of time. Consider visiting http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34954915 for a good engaged discussion on Andalucia. My suggestion, and I am thinking as I type this!, is:

Day 1: Malaga; 2: Sevilla, 3: Sevilla, 4: Granada, 5: Granada or One or more of Nerja/Mijas/Frigiliana, 6: Back to Malaga.

You can find a trip report here. Just read the ones on the cities above because it is rather verbose:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35001438

Hope it helps.

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 07:21 AM

We have driven all over Spain and Portugal. Impressions: roads are generally good, highways, usually a toll, are excellent but old towns are narrow and quaint, and parking is almost impossible. Thievery is rampant in Seville (for tourists, at least), and shopping/dining hours are very controlled by the 'siesta' time and the evening promonade. All that said, I love Spain. We opted to drive around northern Spain which seems less crowded,and then 'train it' to southern spain...worked pretty well. The trains are good, and reliable.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 07:07 AM

Your message seems to indicate that you are traveling alone. If that is the case, my advice is that when exploring Seville, take the tourist hop on/hop off bus. It will get you almost anywhere you want to go in town. Trying to read a map and navigate the small streets will be a nightmare by yourself. Even when you have someone who is the navigator it is hard. Just park the car and leave it while exploring the town. Once out of the city, driving is easy. Roads are good and easy to navigate.

I would encourage you to visit Ronda. We stayed at Hotel San Gabriel and it was our favorite hotel of the trip. We were there this past Oct. Same thing in Ronda. It is a small town and you can get everywhere by walking. The hotel dooesn't have a car park so they will direct you to the city parking lot. Not exactly close, but not horribly far.

In my honest opinion, for the short time you are there, I would spend days 3&4 in Seville, day 5 in Ronda. I don't think you have time to do Granada. The Alhambra takes most of thd day to see.