Search

Andalucia - Choosing a Home Base?

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andalucia - Choosing a Home Base?

Folks

After some good feedback and thinking, my son and I are going to Andalucia, saving San Sebastian for next time. We were going to stay a couple of nights in each of the towns I had in mind (though I have since added some other places to my list). But I realized that all these towns are within 1.5 hr or so of each other, and since we are driving, I am wondering if it makes sense for us to just have a home base, say in Sevilla, and make day trips to these towns:

Cordoba
Malaga
Ronda
Nerja
Granada

you can see on the Google map that I created (link below), and perhaps even suggest a more central ( and still charming- more important than location!) home base? The advantage of not packing and moving every two days is great for us, but if you think it's a crazy idea, please let me know.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...1,4.938354&z=8
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM

We are including this area in our Spain trip too; we have decided to stop in Cordoba en route south from Madrid to Sevilla (via train); then after Seville pick up a car, drive directly to Granada, stay a night before touring the Alhambra, stay second night in Granada before departing to Malaga, and staying two nights in Ronda, then visiting Arcos before flying back from Sevilla to our departure city. The hill towns need time to be explored, so "post Granada" we're taking the slow leisurely routes and plan to include an unplanned day or two. Anxious to see more replies (which will inform us as well)
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:05 PM

How long is your trip in total?
I don't think I'd try to do all of this from one base but I could see choosing 2.
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

CathyM - we will be in Spain for about 9 days - and I think you are right, maybe two bases will be better - I would think Seville and Malaga, geographically, but wondering if other towns could be more interesting than Malaga, to stay.

Aliced - Our plan is very similar, except that we will be driving - I do want to hit some of the white villages too. Let's hope for some more responses!
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:45 PM

We really liked Malaga ( old town).
It was a nice change from Granada, Seville and Cordoba - an Andalusian city by the sea.