Best route to Malaga?

Jul 11th, 2019, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Best route to Malaga?

We will be visiting Spain in December and need to finish in Malaga for an onward journey. We can travel there from Seville, Granada or Ronda by public transport. Is one route more scenic/easier than the other? Services from Ronda seem to be the least frequent, from what I can make out. Thank you.

btw. Places we are visiting (day trips in brackets) and not necessarily in order:
fly into Madrid (Toledo)
Granada
Seville (Cordoba)
Jerez (Cadiz)
Arcos
Ronda
fly out of Malaga
Comments or suggestions on our itinerary welcome. We have only 17nights in total so it's a short visit to each of these places. I would prefer to stay in fewer places but hard to know what to drop.
Jul 13th, 2019, 01:45 PM

Ronda is a small town so I would expect choices to be fewer. I don't understand how you can go there from Granada since it is at the beginning of your trip, but either it or Seville would be best. I presume you are talking about taking a bus from Granada, I don't think there is any train between Granada and Cordoba or Malaga (as it goes through Antgequera). But the bus is direct and quick between Malaga and Granada. That's the only route I've taken, so can't comment on views but I wouldn't expect them to be that different on any of these choices.

I'm not sure how you plan to get around to these places, but the easiest would be from Cordoba. And from Seville, I imagine you have to take the train to Cordoba and then to Malaga, anyway, although I"m not sure. And it may be direct, not that you'd have to transfer.

I don't understand your itinerary, actually, how you plan to get from Madrid to Granada and then from Granada to Sevilla.
Jul 13th, 2019, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Christina. We haven't finalised the order of travel yet but it will hinge on whether we visit Granada or Seville first. If we visit Granada first, then it would be Madrid - Granada (train) - Seville (bus or train) - Jerez - Ronda - Malaga. If Seville first then it would be Seville - Jerez - Ronda - Granada - Malaga. Leaning towards the latter but really I don't know that it's going to make a huge difference.

We have considered dropping Madrid and taking the train straight from Madrid airport to Granada or Seville but after a long haul flight and keeping in mind that last minute train ticket prices will be expensive, we're not sure that would be a smart idea.