Our Spain trip finally: Need help!

Apr 26th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Our Spain trip finally: Need help!

Hello everyone (and Maribel, I really appreciate your Seville File, which I will carry with me to Spain certainly)
After many many hours and days and weeks online, I've finally come up with the basic itenerary for our May trip to Europe for my dad's 60th Birthday . They have never been to Spain, and I am a lover of Spain although haven't been there in a long time. So I really want them to get a glimpse of some towns that I remember loving.

I have some very logistic questions:

1) We are considering a quick day trip to Toledo at the end of our Spain time. We will be arriving from Cordoba, which means we will arrive around noon into Ave Atocha. The only flexible schedule seems to be the bus rather than the train -- shorter and more a day. Is the bus station far from Atocha? Since we will be returning to Atocha that same evening (7 pm) for a TrenHotel Ellipse to Paris, I wanted to leave our luggages somewhere, either Atocha, and if I really have to, then the bus/train station in Toledo. Are there lockers? After the bombing, I am worried that there are no options anymore or super expensive or something... Also, are there lockers in Cordoba train station also?

2) I saw that there will be a festival in Jerez in mid-May when we are there, is it a spectacular event like Feria? Is it worth it to try to make time despite the tight schedule?

3) I booked a room at Jaen Parador, I read many threads here. We are driving an hour from Granada to sleep one night in Jaen and then driving the first thing in the morning to Cordoba for our Ave train to Madrid. Now, is that silly? Or is Jaen Parador worth it? (I wanted my parents to get the taste of Parador....) I wanted to stop in Ubeda, but from the photos, Jaen looked more impressive from the outside at least and 40 minutes closers to Granada. If we go there, should we eat there? There seems to be a mixed opinions about this.

4) For brief stops along the drive (in one day) from Seville to Granada, I am considering stopping in a few towns (all glimpsed from this wonderful site), from Jerez, Arcos, Grazemela, Zahara, Ronda, Antequerra. Which ones are "must"? We dont' have much time at all and definitely can't stop to sleep, but I wanted my parents to get a feel of "Pueblo Blancos".

5) Any suggestions for the best, not too expensive, local dinner places in Granada and Seville (I will look at Maribel's file for dinner place suggestion also)?

Thank you so much. I don't know how I could have made this trip plan without this wonderful fodors site and everyone's generous postings.

Apr 27th, 2004, 07:56 AM

hey lonmermaid, ok, so this must be that other thread.

a lot to ake in indeed.

i answered your baggage question on the other thread but i may have spoken too soon as i have been told that they may have taken the lockers out of Atocha. more reason to give spainstorage.com a look.

i wanted to recommend a great restaurant in granda called "el agua".

it is in the albaicin and the views of the alhambra are amazing at night (or by day from their terraces.

they specialize in fondus, try the chocolate one with fruit and cookies )

Restaurante el Agua
Placeta Aljibe de Trillo, 7 18010 - Granada.
Average Price: 11 €.
Tel. +34 958 224 356

saludos,
jer...
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I will definitely try that Storage place, as you say, they may have taken the locker out of Atocha, which would not be surprising.

And also thanks for that restaurant info!

Apr 27th, 2004, 08:19 AM

Pueblos Blancos
Zahara and Grazalema are really pretty and the road between them is great.
You could then go via Ronda, which if I had to choose one would be it.
Apr 27th, 2004, 11:42 AM

I spent 2 nights at the parador in Ubeda and loved it. The town is beautiful and the parador was very nice indeed. I chose Ubeda over Jaen after reading several guidebooks. Ubeda is a gem of renaissance architecture and nearby is the cute town of Baeza. I ate breakfasts and dinners at the parador and the food was also very good, in particular the regional selections.

How long in total is your visit to Spain? Don't try to get too much "done". In my opinion, I'd rather narrow down where I visit and be able to enjoy myself - enough rushing around at work!

Regarding the pueblos blancos. I'd also recommend Ronda, Grazalema, Zahara and Arcos. Just choose a couple at most and you will get a feel for them. But remember, they will be totally emptied out during siesta time.

Maribel's file is excellent for Sevilla restaurant recommendations - you can't go wrong there!
Apr 27th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Everyone on this site seems always so very kind and supportive and generous, and I am very grateful. I only wish we had more time in Spain. I guess this trip will be sort of introductory for my parents, so yes, we will go through those few Pueblos Blancos and prep for the next time!

Thanks again!