Need advice traveling to Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Toledo, Spain in late March to see my daughter. We are interested in seeing Granada, Cordoba, Ronda, possibly Seville. But I realize it is alot to see in a 10 day period. If you have a suggestion of the best of these to see, I would appreciate it.
We tend to prefer smaller, quaint towns, but have heard Seville is a must see thought it looks like a large city. There are 4 of us traveling, we plan to use the train system tho we are wondering if renting a car would be more cost efficient?
Can you give us your favorites of these choices?
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Seville has by far the most to see. Ronda is cute - but is really little more than a village - and in a heavily mountainous area that takes a while to get to. Also - none are really near Toledo.

I think you need to have a look at some guideboooks and decided what YOUR must sees are. For 4 people I would think a train more practical that a car - we have always done road trips in Spain though.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 06:08 PM

I've done the train and the car on different trips to Spain. I really preferred driving.

I'd check out viamichelin to find out the distances and driving times between these locations and also check out the rail times.

I agree that there's much to see in Seville. We spent only one night in Cordoba--to see the Mezquita--but I underst5and that the town is worth a walking tour. We loved Ronda, but then we are fascinated with the geology of Spain, and Ronda's location is fabulous. The Alhambra in Granada is one of those places that should be on everyone's bucket list.

I don't think I've been much help.

If I were you, I'd do a rough tentative plan for visiting all these places, including travel time. People often say they'll spend one night here and two nights there, but they forget to factor in their travel time. Instead of the day they think they'll have in this place, they may have just half a day, or even less.

I always buy a couple of guidebooks which tell me distance between cities, train and bus service, etc.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM

I knew these questions sounded familar On Nov 9 you asked:

I am traveling to Spain w/my husband, 25 yr daughter, to visit my daughter in Toledo, Spain. I thought the Rioja wine area looked interesting, the town of Laguardia seems cool.
I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to head towards Sevilla and the southern areas of Spain. We prefer quaint, quiet towns rather than busy cities, if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate any help.

What was inadequate about the answers on that trhead?
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 04:18 AM

I suggest you go to Antequera, the so called "heart of Andalucía" (placed in the middle between Málaga, Sevilla, Córdoba and Granada and easy to access by both bus, train and car.). A fascinating town with 5000 years old dolmens, Roman baths, a Moorish Castle, Gothic churches, Renaissance fountains and baroque bell towers just outside the spectacular Torcal nature reserve.

Be sure to visit the Museo Municipal and see what is arguably the finest piece of Roman sculpture found in Spain, the boy Efebo. Also a very interesting first floor that bear witness of the towns history on the border between Christian and Moslem Spain before the final takeover of Granada in 1492. Antequera was the first town of the Granada Emirate to fall to the Christians in 1410.

If you go, you must taste the town speciality "Porra Antequerana", a kind of creamy gazpacho with toppings of cured ham, tuna and eggs. Why not have it at the excellent and traditional Restaurante La Espuela Plaza in the bullring?

http://www.andalucia.com/antequera/home.htm
http://www.andalucia.com/antequera/monuments.htm

Photos:
http://www.pueblos-espana.org/andalu...equera/220272/
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM

A bit more on Antequera (population about 40 000):
"Guidebooks to Andalucia tend to focus on the justifiably world-famous cities of Seville, Granada, and Cordoba. However, the historic but far less well known town of Antequera is equally worth a visit and its relative lack of fame means that its essential Andalucian charm remains undimmed by coach parties and souvenir shops".
http://www.andaluciacoastandcountry.com/antequera.html

Photo essay and slide show:
http://www.fmschmitt.com/travels/spa...ueraStart.html
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi kimhe

what a great place - and I'd never heard of it.

definitely on my list for andalucia - thanks.
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 09:55 AM

annhig,

Spent some unforgettable days there in 2007 during the Málaga en flamenco festival (Rocío Molina and Miguel Poveda in the renaissance church Colegiata de Santa María la Mayor).
http://www.andalucia.org/turismo-cul...aria-la-mayor/
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Late March is the start of Holy Week (Semana Santa) in Andalucia, when many towns are packed with visitors to see the famous processions. Seville will be most famous (and crowded beyond belief, with 300% premium on hotel prices), but also Granada and Córdoba. So bear that in time when planning your itinerary. Holy Week will be from Palm Sunday (March 28) to Easter Sunday (April 4).
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM

hi again, kimhe,

we spent a night in Malaga en route to Granada 3 years or so ago. we really liked it and would be keen to go back and spend longer there.

sadly I didn't even know that they had a flamenco festival. Was it a one off, or do they do it every year or two?
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM

annhig,

They had in 2005 and 2007 and now there is the all year round "Málaga en flamenco":
http://www.malagaenflamenco.com/inicio_nuevo.asp
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM

thanks, Kim.

not sure that I'l be able to take advantage of it any time soon, but it's useful to file away for future reference.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 02:16 AM

kimhe - i think you've OD'd on antequera. have visited half a dozen times, stayed there, researched there and yes it's nice but can't think it merits inclusion in a greatest hits trip like this

aduchamp1 - so poster has opened a second thread. maybe he/she wants more options

tunema - agree you need to plan the travel logistics and base them around your must sees...but sevilla is one of the world's great cities and as you'll be passing through cordoba it would be a pity if you don't overnight there
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 02:35 AM

portuense,

he-he, might have something to do with this:
http://www.deflamenco.com/especiales...dex070908i.jsp
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 03:03 AM

do you know, kimhe, it crossed my mind that flamenco might have something to do with it all...when are you next in jerez area?
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 03:53 AM

Don't know, but hope to go in a not too distant future although it seems as if I wouldn't be able to go to the Jerez festival this year either. The local peña here in Oslo had a very nice visit a couple of months ago from the gaditanos Rosario Toledo and David Palomar and Daniel Méndez from Morón (Dani de Morón), and I hope to visit some of them in Sevilla/Morón next year. Then it would be perfect for actually my first trip to Jerez, I'll let you know!
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 08:35 AM

do...i'm sure you know the flamenco scene in jerez is v vibrant and from what i gather, quite edgy. Of course Antonio El Pipa is on e of the big cheeses but there are plenty more. Have you seen Maria Jose Franco dance? She's quite an act...
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 08:41 AM

tunema...i think it's doable to go from toledo by train back into madrid (half hour or so), then get to atocha station and cordoba is a couple of hours by high speed train. you could do a couple of nights there, go on to seville, do three nights there or add another and go on a white villages tour (though personally i don't think a lot of them - greatest hits; blink if you miss them; where was that? - you need to spend a bit of time in these places to absorb their unique atmosphere and see what should be seen (and eat and drink what should be eaten and drunk). If you don't fancy that you could get a coach (good connections) from seville to granada, do two nights there (you'll need best part of a day for the alhambra) then head back to madrid. all depends on how much time you want with your daughter unless she's coming with you. in that case she'll probably tell you two nights is enough in toledo.
anyway, it's doable but you might be better sticking to cities and lwaving ronda and the real white towns for another trip simply because getting to and from them would be tough given your time constraints
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM

portuense,
Haven't seen here live yet, but looking forward to do so. Had a very strong near-Jerez-experience on a concert with José Mercé in Nerja back in 2004. Hope also to see Antonio's aunt Juana la del Pipa soon.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:01 AM

kimhe...i saw juana giving a class a few years ago - that was something...I've seen a few older dancers taking classes, normally of very good dancers. it's really interesting as an 'outsider' (ie one who has three never mind two left feet and is basically the wrong sex) - you do get a very different, technical prospective from a performance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -