Reload this Page >

OTHER PARIS REGIONS (NORMANDY, HONFLEUR, MONT SAINT MICHEL

Old Jun 9th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bonjour tout le monde!

There are so many places to see too little time. So - here are the Paris Regions I have decided to stick with for the remainder of my November trip.

I'll be in Paris for 5 days and go to Normandy and its neighboring town for 5 days. Do you think 5 days are more than enough to cover the following sites - DDay, Tapestry, MSM? Are there any other must see that I should know about to include on the aforementioned sites?

I also need information regarding accommodation near DDay/Honfleur for 3 days, and one night near MSM so I can view the Abbey at night. Any affordable hotel close to these attractions that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

merci beaucoup.

P.S. I am taking the train from Paris and use public transportation to visit these places.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 06:07 PM

Well, first of all you're confused about a couple of things. Normandy is a province which is outside of Paris. (Paris is in Ile de France.)

If you spend 5 days in Normandy you can see quite a bit - but to do it efficiently you really need a car. Train is not going to work - since they tend to radiate out from paris more than make big circles cross country.

I believe the town you are saying you want to stay in (with the tapestry and near many of the invasion beaches) in Bayeaux. From there you can see these and also visit Honfleur if you want. To see much of Mt St Michel you need to figure on spending the whole day - since the tides (obviously only twice a day) are very important. Also seeing the Mt is time-consuming - it's a long steep climb up to the top - and then touring the Abbey requires a lot of climbing up and down stairs - so plan on your legs getting a good workout.

Sorry can;t help with hotels - since we tend to stay at private Chateaux in the countryside. But for anyone to help you, you really need to give a specific hotel budget - and what you expect for the money.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 06:14 PM
kja

> Do you think 5 days are more than enough to cover the following sites - DDay, Tapestry, MSM?

I'm sure it varies from person to person, but for what it's worth, I spent about 2 hours with the Bayeux tapestry and an evening and morning at Mont St. Michel. I chose to skip the DDay sights; from my research, I think one would need at least a day and if possible a day and a half (minimum) for the DDay sites. I hope others chime in.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 06:59 PM

I think you're really confused about terminology. Normandy is a province outside Paris; it's got nothing to do with Paris geographically. And I have no idea what you mean by "Normandy and its neighboring town." Again, it's a separate province with a bazillion towns in it.

But yes, on the face of it, you can visit Bayeux and the D-Day sites and le Mont-St-Michel in 5 days. You really should rent a car, as getting around Normandy by public transportation is a chore. I've been to Normandy about a dozen times and the least amount of time I spent visiting the D-Day sites was 2 days, and that was cramming a lot of stuff into those days...but you can do it.

BTW, Honfleur and the D-Day beaches are not close together.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Oops, I meant to say "France" regions! Sorry folks for the confusion and thanks for bringing it up to my attention. My Bad!
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 05:30 AM

You can easily train from Paris Lazare direct to Bayeux in a little over two hours. You can spend one day seeing the town of Bayeux and the tapestry, another two days doing the D-Day sights (but be aware - November can get cold and not all the tour companies operate then), and another day at MMS. There are many good hotels in Bayeux - go into the search window and put in "Bayeux hotels" and you'll find a lot of good suggestions. You could also train to MSM, take a day trip there from the Hotel Churchill, or rent a car in Bayeux and drive there yourself. You could also go to Honfleur from Bayeux, but would need a car to do so efficiently.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 05:49 AM

Rent a car. Can't say it simpler than that.

You can't do it otherwise not if you want to see stuff. You want to 'do' D-Day. From what angle? Beaches or Cemeteries ?

If you go to Bayeux, stay in the Campanile, a good, reasonable secure motel on the roundabout on the edge of the old town in walking distance of the cathedral and Bayeux musée as well as a British cemetery which has the graves of so many allied nationalities. Please give yourself some time to contemplate the loss of these people for our freedoms to travel as we do. And especially their ages.

15 mins drive to the sea from Bayeaux takes you to Arromanches and the remains of the Mulberry harbour. The US beaches are a little further away, but very much worth it, if only to see the shallow beach some of those guys had to run up.

Mont St Michel, as others have said above. Beautiful but give yourself time and fitness...

have fun
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 06:13 AM

Second the Campanile. Good reasonable hotel and location with a car.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 07:07 AM

If you have a car, on your way from Normandy to CDG be sure and stop at MOnet's Garden in Gevernay and at Auvers-su-Osie, where Van Gogh died and is buried. It is an interesting day. Enjoy.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for all wonderful suggestions! It appears renting a car is the way to go. Would it be an easy drive seeing these places? I am traveling alone and knowing myself, I am horrible following directions.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Our March trip to France included 2 days in Normandy. Definitely rent a car. We stayed in Port en Bessin, just east of Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery. Easy trip to MSM, we took somewhat "back" roads and got to MSM in under 2 hours.

You really need to identify what D-Day sites you want to see, along with the Tapestry and MSM. I'd also suggest you see the Peace Museum in Caen, it was really a good experience for us. Once you've identified your priorities, map them out on viamichelin's site, it'll give you printable driving directions and/or maps. Five days should be plenty of time to see many of the sites.

good luck and enjoy!
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM

You don;t need directions. You need maps - good quality and very detailed paper maps. (You can get detailed Michelin maps at any sizable bookseller - or online). A map of France will NOT help you. You need the detailed one for each area which has the tiny local roads - so you can maneuver if you run into construction or accidents.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 12:00 PM

If you're driving by yourself, having a GPS along would be a life-saver. Gives you "hands-free" access to turn by turn directions (without having to stop and study a map). My wife and I brought one with us from home, though you can get a rental car with a GPS in it (at added cost). Our GPS got us from Bayeux to Mont St. Michel through back roads in very foggy weather without a hitch. Also got us in and out of Caen, where we rented our car (EuropeCar is directly across the street from the Caen train station). Well worth it!