other options on Skye

Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

other options on Skye

Well, it looks like it will need to be Skye instead of Islay for my June trip to Scotland. It just fits into my itinerary so much better - and as I sit here sipping Talisker - it doesn't seem so bad. I'll get to the home of my beloved Lagavulin NEXT time!

Here are my accommodation concerns: Portree seems a little "busy" and lots of reports about difficulty parking. Sligachan Hotel (my previous first choice) has not been overly accommodating by e-mail, gets mixed reviews, and is a little pricier than some of the others.

What about The White Heather Hotel, The Tir Alainn, and The Torvaig? (I'm sure I misspelled at least one of those!) These all seems to get wonderful reviews. Any comments about location for touring the island and general quality? They all seem to be about 30 GBP per person (there are three of us)...

Thank you so much for your advice.
Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:26 PM

I'm not familar with The Tir Alainn, but can recommend Toravig House. A bit surprised at the 30 GBP per person rate as I'm fairly certain it's closer to 55/60 pppn.If you can get it for 30, I'd go for it. It is on the Sleat peninsula near Knock bay so not really central. However,if you're staying for several days, location is less important. Personally I love Sleat and its home to some of the best hotels on the island.

I've not stayed at The White Heather but have heard good things about it. It is located in Kyleakin, again not a central location but doable.
Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:47 PM

>>"Portree seems a little 'busy...'"<<

Other that Edinburgh, and possibly Loch Ness, in my experience nothing in Scotland is all that busy, especially when you compare it to touristy places in England or on the Continent; so, if that's your reason for avoiding Portree, you might reconsider.

We stayed at the Rosedale in Portree and had a lovely time. Our rooms faced the water and the restaurant was quite nice.

Just FYI. Have a great trip!

We stayed in Portree in the summer and it was quite nice... even the midges weren't too bad.
Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:49 PM

Re the White Heather Hotel, Tir Alainn, and Torvaig House, none of those three are all that convenient for touring the Isle. All are on the southern end of the Island and far from most places one will want to visit.

Portree is fine - it is just a small town and June is far from high season so it won't be over run w/ crowds. Just be sure to find a place that has parking. Many places do.

Of all the places you mentioned, I personally would stay in Sligachan - but then I've never had any sort of bad experience there.

(I seriously think you can't get Torvaig House for anywhere near £30 pp. If you can, then even though it is in a less convenient location - I'd jump on it)
Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:50 PM

Whoops, thought I had erased that last sentence... sorry for the redundancy.
Oct 24th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I may have gotten the Torvaig House cost mixed up with the other two. I know that Sligachan Hotel is quoting 50. pp. The Rosedale does not have triple rooms, unfortunately, so wouldn't work for us, though it comes highly recommended. Gillian at The White Heather is so enthusiastically nice when you contact them, whereas the Slig replies have been somewhat terse... The location does look great, though.
Oct 24th, 2006, 05:49 AM

I didn't enjoy Portree as much as I did other places in Skye. It tends to be a hub, and for me the pleasure of being in Skye was enjoying its wonderfully uncrowded feeling and beautiful nature.

I stayed at the far northern end of Skye in Castle Duntulm and had no trouble at all reaching all the places I wanted to go in the upper half of Skye. The bar in the restaurant served a terrific selection of whiskeys and wonderful ale and beer on tap. The views were spectacular and the restaurant food very nice, if buttery!

Oct 25th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Nessundorma -

What a beautiful setting! I was looking at Trip Advisor reviews and had a good laugh about the young honeymoon girl who said she wept to see how remote it was and that there were sheep everywhere! LOL...

Trip Advisor has a picture of the Sligachan Hotel that looks like it's sitting down in a swampy valley almost. And yet I know it is one of the most beautiful locales on the island! Somehow the pictures don't make the setting look as pretty as some of the places with water views.
Oct 25th, 2006, 04:18 AM

Those sunset views over the Hebrides are magical. If you don't have a car, it would indeed feel remote, but the truth is that it is only about 20 minutes to Staffin and maybe 30-35 to Portree or Uig. (You can take ferries from Uig to the outer islands). But indeed: You must like sheep to like Skye!

We hiked all over the place and took boat rides in and around Broadford while we were staying (for a week) in Duntulm. Our habit was to eat breakfast, drive somewhere to take a hike, have lunch after the hike, take an afternoon hike, and return to Duntulm to wash up in time for a whiskey at sunset, then dinner at the hotel.

Our favorite hike was in the morning, up to the Old Man of Storr in the mist, to watch the mist rise up and reveal the extraordinary landscape.

Oct 25th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Should it fit in with your travel plans I would say that we were pleased with our two night stay at the White Heather. Just outside of the hotel was a bus service to Kyle of Lochalsh where the owners made dinner reservations for us. Also we did hire a local to drive us around to see the wonderful sights.
Oct 25th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Have just returned from a few days in Skye and the Ardnamurchan Peninsula. Weather was poor but the scenery and accommodation were very good.
In Skye we stayed at the Urquhart Caledonian Hotel in Portree www.urquhartcaledonianhotel.co.uk
The staff were friendly, the family room was well equipped with a double bed and two bunk beds. The breakfast was excellent and well served. There is a free car park to the rear but the access road is a bit rough and getting to it initially was a challenge but once we mastered that it made our stay in Portree very easy. Portree in June is comfortable as are the visitor numbers. Staying there also gave us the opportunity to to looping tours to the north, south and west so it was ideal. I would point out that there are quite a few stairs in this hotel with no elevator but its location in the centre of Portree was good for us.
Your dealings with the Sligachan appear to be normal and it is now very much living on past reputation. There is nothing to do there at night except visit the bar or restaurant and they charge more than enough for that.
After touring Ardnamurchan we stayed at the Inn at Ardgour. www.scotland2000.com/ardgour/ We again had a family room looking out over the water. In the morning it took a bit of getting used to - with the Corran Ferry docking every half an hour, however apart from that it was a nice hospitable accommodation. The evening meal was excellent and the staff attentive. Check both hotels out on tripadvisor.com