Oslo, Strockholm or Coenhagen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We(2 couples) have never been to this part of the world and have the opportunity of a break for a weekend in November. Which of these cities do we go to - we are aged from late 40's to early 60's and haven't really worked out how to act our age yet - BUT FULL OF LIFE AND FUN. Any suggestions please. (We are coming from Ireland - one couple from the South and one from the North!!)
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Of course, I meant "Copenhagen" !!!!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 02:07 PM

I have never been to Stockholm, but we love Copenhagen---lots of life and fun there. Oslo is nice but more quiet, I would say. Take lots of money!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Enzian - your reply interests me! "lots of money" - even coming from Ireland?? I thought our prices were way over the top??!!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 02:12 PM

irishk,

We came back this summer form Copenhagen adn stockol ( and Helsinki, Moscow and st Petersburg too)

We liked Stockholm lots more than Copenhagen. Copenhagen was nice but felt more provincial than Stockholm. Stockholm seemded a bit more hip and happening.

In any event, yes take LOTS of cash, prices are very high!

Have not been to Oslo.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 02:26 PM

irishk---you're probably OK, coming from Ireland. We skipped Copenhagen on our trip this year, as much as I love it, because of the expense. But your Irish currency is much stronger than our dollar.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
kja

It depends on what you want to see and do! I haven't been to Oslo yet, but Copenhagen and Stockholm both have much to offer. IMHO, Stockholm deserves a tad longer than "a weekend," and while you could easily spend longer than that in Copenhagen, it might be more "do-able" in that time frame. Hope that helps!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM

According to EIU, Oslo is the world's most expensive city. Tokyo used to have that honor (?) for many years but I never thought Tokyo was any more expensive than NYC or Paris. Now, Oslo is another story altogether IMO. It IS expensive; I'm almost afraid of getting hungry or thirsty while I'm in Oslo. If your idea of vacation includes eating out and having a few drinks with your dinner, then Oslo isn't the most economical destination.

I love both Stockholm and Copenhagen but I personally prefer Copenhagen.

Here a thread on Stockholm v. Copenhagen comparison:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archi.../t-645230.html
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Have been to both twice.... both lovely, but I prefer Stockholm. (But then all my grandparents were Swedish -
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM

I've been to all 3 and loved Stockholm, liked Copenhagen and not much impressed with Oslo if that helps. We stayed in the Gamla Stan area of Stockholm which I loved, very romantic with good walking, eating and shopping, also the Nobel Museum.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM

I think Stockholm has the most to see/do - even in chilly weather, plus a good restaurant scene. And it seems the most like a big city.

Copenhagen is a close second, lots to do and several lively areas.

Oslo somehow has a much more small town feel - and it seems like they roll up the sidewalks at about 10 pm (I'm sure that's not the case - but that's how it felt).
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 11:38 PM

Even from an Irish perspective, Oslo is an expensive city. Herself and I agreed that if we went again we would bring sandwiches.

Of the three, I liked Stockholm the most, and not only because our money went farthest there (although it did). Herself and I particularly enjoyed the Vasa Museum, Skansken, and boats and water.

Our interactions with people -- limited enough, I admit -- were easier and friendlier in tone in Stockholm than in Oslo or Copenhagen.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you everyone. Lots for me to think about and research over the weekend!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 02:39 AM

We're same age group and come from North of Scotland. Been to Stockholm, Copenhagen and Bergen,but not Oslo. Do yourselves a favour and go to Stockholm! More to see and do, great variety of restaurants and bars. You'll have a great time!
We found some good Irish bars in Stockholm -the drinks were very reasonably priced!!!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM

Sounds like we need to visit Stockholm next time. . .
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. It'll probably be Stockholm, but I think we will have to arrange a few other dates later on and try to visit Oslo etc.!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:32 AM

What about NY? You can direct flight to EWR from Shannon or Dublin!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Having just visited all three, I will add my 2 cents. I LOVED Oslo for the Viking museum, Folk museum, Munch art museum and lovely harbor. LIKED Stockholm primarily for the VASA museum (warship sunk on maiden voyage in the harbor and completely restored). ENJOYED Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. If you go to Stockholm, I would suggest Prinsen's for dinner. Yes, it's expensive like everything else there. Have a good weekend! JKR
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM

I spent a little over a week in Copenhagen and just under a week in Stockholm a couple of years ago. I loved them both but if I could only return to one, it would be Stockholm.

I also stayed in Gamla Stan and it is a great area....fun to be in and convenient for getting around. The Vasa Museum is fabulous..or at least it was for me. It was a very lively, fun, city.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I am Norwegian, so obviously biast to Oslo. I can recomend Kjøbenhavn (Copenhagen). If you are design interested it is a super choise, hip(retro and new). Tivoli is superb, and prices the lowest of the three capitals.

Also it has food traditions, you probably know "danish" pastry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -