Oslo - Bergen - Drive or Train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to Oslo in late June and can't decide whether to drive to Bergen, via the scenic route or take the train. I think we would drive to Myrdal (sp?) and take the Flam railroad as a day's trip (I think it's about two hours each way) and continue on to Bergen. How are the roads on this route? Once we get to Bergen, can anyone tell me what kind of one day boat trip options we might have?

Most (if not all) of the time we drive ourselves, but if the train affords more spectacular views, or if the roads are bad we are open to that option. Any info is welcomed.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Barb19: The train trip is lovely, very scenic. However, you should consider the "nutshell" itinerary from Oslo to Bergen. Fantastic! Depending on where you go from Bergen, you could take the train trip back. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 09:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't driven, but I wonder what you do about your car if you take the Flam train? I guess you could go down, then back up, or leave the car then return from Bergen.

I would think it would be much more convenient just to do the entire Oslo to Bergen "nutshell" tour -- that way you get one-third of the trip by boat to Voss.

The train trip/Flam/boat/train trip really is spectacular. I do know once you get to the end of the boat trip, heading back up the hill to Voss, I would NEVER drive that -- people were clapping for the bus driver's unique ability to navigate the road up to Stalien -- which is barely larger than a single lane.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:26 AM

Not having driven that part of Norway myself I can say in general that the roads in many parts of Norway are very narrow, so narrow that 2 cars can barely pass each other. So if you have experience with driving on steep narrow roads and with a manual transmission I would consider car. If not I would go for the train...
My 2 øre's worth

Cobos
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your advice. I guess the consensus is "take the train." Do we need to buy tickets in advance for Norway in a Nutshell?

Is there anyone out there who has driven through this part of Norway?

Thanks again. Barb
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Barb,
Every guidebook you read screams get the tickets way in advance. You don't need to unless you have a group of people. Wait until you get to Oslo, but you might want to book a few days in advance. If you ask them for Norway in a Nutshell, they will know exactly what you want. Tell them you're ending in Bergen.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Barb19: Yes, we did drive it. We took the "Nutshell" from Oslo and back to Oslo and then drove to Roishem through Lom and to the fjords at Geiranger and Balestrand. The fjords are, of course, spectacular. We enjoyed the Nutshell and then staying at The Union Hotel at Geiranger and the Kvikne at Belestrand, both of which offered fjord views from the room. We then drove on to Bergen.