Search

Orvieto/Lucca

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orvieto/Lucca

Hey everyone!
I'm going to Italy in October for the first time. I plan on stopping into Lucca one morning while spending the rest of the afternoon in Pisa. I then would like to stop into Orvieto for a day since I'll be in Rome for some time. Are Lucca and Orvieto worth a visit? I look forward to visiting a smaller, less popular city/town, but I want to make sure I'm seeing the right ones!
Thanks in advance for your help! =)
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM

Well, certainly seeing "the right ones" in terms of smaller cities is up to what you would find to be "right." What are you looking for?

Both of these towns do have a certain tourist popularity. What is it that you would like to see and do?
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM

IF you have the time, they are both worth a visit.

We really enjoyed Lucca. It can easily be seen in a day. Bicycles are the preferred mode of travel in Lucca, and you can rent one and ride around on top of the walls that surround the town. If you are there in the evening, I highly recommend a concert at San Giovanni Basilica. Lucca is home to Puccini, and the town seems obsessed with great music. You do not need to get tickets in advance. Here's a link with concerts/times: http://www.puccinielasualucca.com/en/events.asp

Enjoy your first trip to Italy. What fun for you!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM

I spent 12 days in Lucca attending a language school. I loved Lucca! The ideas given about what to do are good. Also, the Cathedral, San Frewdiano and San Michelle churches are nice to visit.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:21 AM
ira

Hi T,

Orvieto is worth a day.

Lucca is worth a 1/2 day.

See http://tinyurl.com/e68rr

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:41 AM

You can check here for places to visit in Lucca:

http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=189
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:26 AM

Lucca is a beautiful town and I think you are making a good decision in including it in your plans. Ditto Orvieto.

Ira, I do not remember the section on Lucca in your trip report..did you actually visit the town? If not, on what are you basing your declaration that it is" worth" only half a day?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses!

I am traveling with my mother and grandmother so as much as I'd love to do the bicycling, I don't think that'll be an option for granny!

I'm looking for a nice town(s) to visit that's easy to travel to on train, less busy than Florence/Rome, but tourist friendly. I think based off of everyone's suggestions, I'm making the right decisions. Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:13 AM
ira

Hi ek,

>Ira, ..did you actually visit the town? .. on what are you basing your declaration that it is" worth" only half a day? <

Yes, we were there. Even saw the Antique Fair.

I didn't say it was worth **only** 1/2 day. The OP is planning to see Lucca and Pisa, so I agreed that Lucca was worth 1/2 day.

From my Trip Report:
"Lucca
There is an "antiques fair" on the third Sunday of the month in Lucca. So that is where we went. We should have skipped the flea market, which is what it was. Pricey, not very good stuff. Wandered through the lovely, well maintained town and enjoyed the day before returning to Florence".

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:25 AM

tata

Thanks for the further explanation. I think that Lucca is a good choice. Do visit the sites mentioned above. Also consider a leisurely stroll of at least a part of the walls, since Granny can't bicycle.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:44 AM

this source also has some good Orvieto info
http://tinyurl.com/h5uf6