Reload this Page >

Orvieto-Leave car / train to Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Mary Susan

I have been reading the wise suggestions of people who recommend leaving one's car in Orvieto and taking a train into Rome. We would like to do that, but will have a rental car that we cannot give up yet. We want to drive to Orvieto, train to Rome, and come back in 3 days and pick up the car to continue our trip. Does anyone know where one can leave a car for 3 days in Orvieto? Is this possible? Many thanks. (This will be in mid-August.)

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 08:55 AM
ann

I'm pretty sure I have read that you can leave your car at the train station. I am also considering that. What I would like to know is the cost of doing that, and also about how much the train costs. Does anyone who has done it remember?

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 09:24 AM
ann

Actually just answered part of my own question - found on the Italian train web site that trains between Rome and Orvieto run almost hourly, take an hour and cost 11 euro second class (15 first class). Still need to know about safety and expense of parking in Orvieto. Anyone able to answer that please.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:02 AM
Debby

We just came back last week with the plan of doing exactly what you want. The car return is not near the train staion, and the town of Orvieto has 3 taxi cabs, so you need to get the cb to meet you at the car return so you can then go to the train staion. We opted which turned out to be easier and cheaper to take the car to the outer norhtern section of Rome. Auto Europe/Avis and Hertz have reutns of Via tiburtino I believe it was. We drove to htat point which was easy highway driving- we did not want to get into Rome. If you decide to do this you can let me know if you need more specific directions. Our car was due back by noon, and Auto Europe had no drop charge. Avis then called a cab wheich took 5 minutes to get to us, and our cab ride to the Pantheon area was 30 euros. We figure with bags, it was a whole lot easier that a cab in oriveto, train to rome, and a cab to hotel.<BR><BR>It worked great for us.<BR><BR>Debby

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:48 AM
ann

Thanks for replying Debbie but what both I and the originial poster were asking about was not dropping the car in Orvieto, but rather leaving it there while in Rome and then continuing on with the rest of our trip. So we need informatin on the safety and expense of leaving the car somewhere and picking it back up a few days later.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 03:18 PM
Graziella

Hi Mary Susan, I have an idea: why don 't you live your car in the hotel you'll be staying in Orvieto.? In town this is not going to be easy but if you stay for instance in a agriturismo I think this is going to be easy. For instance we stayed in Orvieto in Locanda Rosati which was very nice and has lots, lots of space around the house.<BR>If it works, please let me know if you do not mind, because I might do the same next time in Italy. Last time we left the car in the hotel in Rome and had to pay like 20 or 25 dolars a day for parking which was a lot! Of course to visit Orvieto is better to stay in a hotel downtown....

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 03:21 PM
Debby

Check with your hotel. Some of the parking lots in some of the hill towns have 24 hour protection-whatever that means. We paid 12.5 per day when we were staying at a hotel. It might be much more than that otherwise.<BR><BR>Debby

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 03:36 PM
deb

Just returned from Italy and we did leave our car in Orvieto while we went to Rome for 5 days. To get to the parking area just follow the "P" signs with the picture of the funiculare (sp?). Parking is free and the train station is right there. It's very easy. And after arriving in Rome, even my husband determined we had done the right thing. We were concerned about security, but were told by several people in the area that it was safe and there would be no problem. Be aware of any signs posted (in Italian) around the parking area. The day we were leaving our car, there were signs posted that we didn't recall seeing on our previous visit. We asked at the TI and were told that part of the parking area was going to be used for a bike race. It was no problem, we parked on the opposite end, but it's a good thing we weren't hurried and were paying attention. Have fun!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:32 PM
Dayle

Parking & leaving your car in Orvieto is no problem. There is a modern, multi-level parking garage at the opposite end of the town from the train station. We parked our rental here while we stayed in Orvieto for 3 nights. Very easy in/out, wide parking spaces & lots of room to navigate. Sorry, I can't remember the price to park daily. In May, it was very uncrowded and, although I would never leave valuables, it looked perfectly secure.<BR><BR>You could call ahead & have a cab take you around to the train station directly from the parking garage.<BR><BR>Hope this helps!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:17 AM
ann

Thanks for your replies. I think I will do that. It does sound like a better idea than driving into Rome.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Mary Susan

Thank you to all. We are not staying in Orvieto so the hotel was not an option. We were interested in just driving in, parking, and coming back in 3 days to retrieve the car. Thank you to those with the helpful information.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:56 PM
ellen

I wish we had known about the parking garage when we left our rental in Orvieto to go to Rome for one night. We just parked it on the street not too far from the train station (there weren't any spaces at the station.) It was there when we returned but I was a bit nervous about leaving it on the street.