Search

Orvieto and all that (Umbria) Jazz

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orvieto and all that (Umbria) Jazz

Here's the situation....

We have a hotel reservation in Orvieto (Hotel Duomo - December 27 and 28) so that we an be centrally located in what sounds like a wonderful town and area. This will be very special for us as our adult daughter who will be with us is a music major with an emphasis on Jazz. AND we learned that the Winter Program of the Umbria Jazz Festival will open in Orvieto on December 27th while we are there!

What we would like to learn is:

What should we expect in Orvieto during the festival? With more people than "normal" how difficult will it be to see the "usual tourist sites" like the Duomo, Museums, St. Patrick's Well, etc...

Can we obtain tickets to Jazz Festival events ahead of time? I have been to the website for the Jazz Festival, have found the program and the events we would like to attend:
http://www.umbriajazz.com/resources/...PROG_UJW11.pdf

I have even located events that we would like to attend:
At the Teatro Mancinelli at 10:45 pm on December 28th - RANDY WESTON piano solo followed by the TERENCE BLANCHARD SEXTET).

BUT, I have yet to find a way to obtain tickets in advance. I tried sending an e-mail to the location provided by the website ([email protected]) but have not received any response.

Does anyone have any other ideas about obtaining tickets, or other useful information about Orvieto and the Umbria Jazz Festival? We have planned this trip over Christmas as it is the only time that we can all go together - and our special Christmas present to our daughter would be tickets to see these wonderful artists that she admires so much!

Of course we would also like to visit a winery or enoteca or two while we are in the area. ANY information about Orvieto wine / touring / sampling / purchase would also be appreciated. We understand that it will not be the most ideal time to visit wineries or enotechas, as it is in the middle of winter, but if there are must see locations that will be open, we would love to know about them!
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 09:47 AM

Have you tried contacting your hotel and asking them to obtain the tickets for you?

Orvieto is a delightful place. If you do a search on this forum you will find a number of restaurant recommendations, etc.

I can't say how crowded it will be during the Jazz Festival, but I have been there at the height of tourist season in July and there was no problem seeing the sights -- I never experienced anything like Florence crowds, for example.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:09 AM
ira

Hi Ken,

For a memorable lunch or dinner, I can recommend I Sette Consoli Pzza Sant?Angelo 1A phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 01:43 AM

The UmbriaTurismo website has details re booking. Here's the link:

http://www.umbriaturismo.it/pag_int_box?id=18

The contact no is:
FAX (Orvieto) 0763 340418

E-mail:
[email protected]

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Nov 24th, 2003, 05:21 AM
DRJ

I second I Sette Consoli. great food, wine and service. If you have a warm day, ask to sit outside.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Marilyn and Steve for the good ideas on obtaining tickets to Umbria "Winter" Jazz Festival events.

Any chance that anyone else out there has been to the Teatro Mancinelli in Orvieto? Its sounds like it might have theater-style seating (in rows? not the most ideal for a jazz setting if you know what I mean...)

Still hoping there are others out there who may have attended the Umbria "Winter" Jazz Festival in Orvieto and might be willing to share information on what to expect regarding the festival / events. I have searched the Fodor listings over and have only found passing references to this December/January event.

Still also wondering about Orvieto wineries and/or enotecas and what might be open.

Thanks Ira and DRJ for the heads up on
I Sette Consoli - we look forward to having a meal there. I just LOVE this Palm "planner" that I have - and notes like that on things to do and see get saved as memos for the trip, so much better than copying, pasting, printing and packing along the notes like I used to do!!!
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Feel like I'm talking to myself at times...

Following up on the good thoughts passed along by those who responded to my request - and to help others in the future who may stumble onto this thread with an interest in going to Orvieto and the Winter Jazz Festival:

Using both Marilyn and Steve?s advice I sent e-mails to the Hotel Duomo, where we are staying, and the Teatro Mancinelli ([email protected]) - one of the event sites. In each e-mail I requested information about reserving or purchasing tickets for the events.

Its been a few days now ? to let you know (and to "top" this thread) I did receive a quick response from Elisa at the Hotel Duomo (web site: http://www.orvietohotelduomo.com) Elisa?s reply was, "some events are free and the other you can buy when you arriving". It sounds like the festival isn?t so busy that we cannot get tickets for events. Unless I hear otherwise I am going to head down this line and get the tickets while we are there. You can be assured that I will provide a posting of our experience!

STILL wondering about Orvieto wineries and/or enotecas and what might be open. Any good word out there?

And while researching Orvieto I have found even more references to dining at I Sette Consoli - we look forward to having a meal there!
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 09:52 AM
GAC

I can't imagine that Orvieto will be overcrowded after Christmas Day for the jazz festival! But for these periodic events, Orvieto would be pretty empty during wintertime.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 09:57 AM

Actually I think a couple of Washington DC Fodorites will be there for the Jazz Fest -- I'll email them to see if they can answer your questions here as I know they don't pop in here as much as they used to.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GAC, hope you are right about Orvieto not being overcrowded after Christmas Day !

Hey uhoh_busted - that would be wonderful if you could connect me with the Washington DC Fodorites that might be there for the Jazz Fest - would love to get their impression - and perhaps meet up at one of the sessions!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:44 AM

Hi Ken-
Just back from Paris and got an email from uh-oh busted directing me to your thread. Yes ,we'll be in orvieto this year and would love to meet!
How shall we plan this??
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 11:01 AM

KenMi,

I did exactly what you're planning in Dec. 1999 and Orvieto wasn't especially crowded - the festival is clearly much more of a big deal in summertime.

Anyway, do go - the Teatro Mancinelli is just great - a little gem! You will need to purchase tickets - I did so in advance by phone/fax, but friends of ours who live nearby purchased them on the spot a few day before the performance without a problem (not that this is a guarantee of course).

Tickets cost EUR 20 or EUR 12, depending on category.

You can call them at:
011 39 0763 340 493
or
011 39 0763 340 422

They're open Mo-Fr from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. CET.

Or (probably easiest), just fax them your booking request along with a CC number. Fax:
011 39 0763 340 418

Got this info from page 14 of their full schedule:
http://www.umbriajazz.com/resources/...PROG_UJW11.pdf

Have a great time - I'm sure you will!

Andre
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Andre!

Your message and recent events have brought up a couple of questions:

1) Would you say that I might want to make my ticket purchase from here in the states so that I can be sure to have the performance I want?

2) Is a fax the best way to send my CC info to the Teatro Mancinelli (thinking its more secure than e-mail)?

3) Could this reservation/ticketing also be a question of "better" seat assignment for the Teatro Mancinelli? (Do the two tiers of admission for 12 euro and 20 euro provide us with specific seats or better areas for a general admission type of seating with first come first served?)

To follow-up on the responses that I got from the folks that I emailed in Umbria (already posted Hotel Duomo response) I just got this message back from the Teatro Mancinelli:

"Hallo, in answer to your mail we have reserved 3 tickets for December 28th at 20,45 at Teatro Mancinelli.

The total price is 66 Euro. So, now you have to send me the number of your credit card, the expire date and the name of the owner.

If I don't receive it in three days I must cancel your reservation so please
send it as soon as possibile.

Thank you. Teatro Mancinelli"

Came from the correct e-mail address, so it looks legit to me!

Any thoughts out there - should I e-mail my CC info, fax it, or just wait until I get to Orvieto? BTW, seats are 12 euro and 20 euro - this reservation is for 66 euro, so do you think the extra 6 euro is a service charge for the reservation?

Will need to know quick - tomorrow is the third day, so I either email, fax or wait!
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 12:11 PM

KenMi

1) It's indeed the only way you can make sure of it.

2) Yes, IMO a fax is more secure as some e-mail viruses make servers send out stored messages to random (or not) addresses. So your credit cards could be sent out unwittingly by the Teatro M. But the risk is prets
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 12:14 PM

Faxes are the preferred secure way to confirm reservations with credit cards internationally. I think you are safe here.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Darn computer! Here's the full post:

KenMi

1) It's indeed the only way you can make sure of it.

2) Yes, IMO a fax is more secure as some e-mail viruses make servers send out stored messages to random (or not) addresses. So your credit card info could be sent out unwittingly by the Teatro M. But the risk is pretty slim - your call.

3)Our seats were definitely assigned and I imagine we took the better tier as well.

So in a nutshell, it's up to you - if you want to be sure of seeing the concert, the 6 EUR charge doesn't seem like that high a price to pay for guaranteed seating. In any event, I would first check with them (by e-mail) that these are indeed the 20 EUR tix and that there is no confusion regarding which concert you're booking for (name the band).

Hope this helps,
Andre