Opinions on this itinerary: Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have decided on Italy for our honeymoon and wanted to run this itinerary by those you that travel there often.

I do realize this may be a bit much but again looking for advice: Leaving Oct 2006
Oct 2nd Travel from NYC/Philly
Oct 3rd -Amalfi Coast
Oct 4th Amalfi Coast
Oct 5th Amalfi Coast
Oct 6th Rome
Oct 7th Rome
Oct 8th Rome
Oct9-12 Tuscany with a day trip to Florence
Oct 13th Venice
Oct 14th Venice
Oct 15th Travel home
We have not booked any flights as we are just starting the planning. This is a general thought I had but again the distance between destinations may be too far. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Robyn
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:08 AM

It's good that you're spending at least 3 nights in each place. I've had a few too many holidays recently (including my honeymoon) when it seemed like we were packing up and moving every night or every other night. Too much. You might want to consider dropping one location and extending your stay in each place to 4 nights, so that you can get the most out of the places you're visiting.

Although the Amalfi Coast is a more romantic place to start a honeymoon, it might be more practical for you to start in Rome. Are you leaving for your honeymoon immediately after the wedding? If so, you're going to be zombies. Getting from the US to Rome to the Amalfi Coast might be too much to accomplish in 24 hours. Also, it might just be me but I wasn't thrilled with Rome, which I visited (on a holiday with a friend) after having already visited Milan and Florence. Rome just seemed like "Big, crowded western city". I think that if Rome had been my first stopping point in Italy, I might have been more impressed (instead I was just tired).
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Everyone definitely has their own opinions. Mine was quite opposite of Kate_W's view of Rome; we absolutely love the city and will be going back in March for the third time. Likewise, I wasn't impressed with Florence, which I felt to be much more crowded and hectic than Rome. Just my personal opinion though.

If you are wanting to start your honeymoon out in a more relaxed environment, I would probably suggest that you reverse your itinerary, start with Venice and end with Rome. I would travel from Tuscany to the Amalfi, ending the trip with the three nights in Rome.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and good luck!

Tracy
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Its so funny you say that, I feel the same way about Rome. I know many will disagree with us but hey that's what opinions are!. I backpacked with a friend a few years ago and felt that ROME was well yes it was Rome but it was big, HOT, and busy. On the other hand, my fiance says he MUST go which I can understand since he's never been. We'll let him form his own opinion. Since we can get direct flights from NYC/Philly into Rome that may make more sense to start there. Thanks,
Robyn
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Tracy,
I like that idea starting in Venice, also a place we can fly into directly. Do you think if we get to the Amalfi Coast and its almost the 2nd week into October the temp. will have dropped?
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:39 AM
ira

Hi rbs,

Nice itinerary.

> Do you think if we get to the Amalfi Coast and its almost the 2nd week into October the temp. will have dropped?<

It's iffy. Mid to late Oct is changeable weather. You could have hot and rainy, cool and rainy, foggy and rainy, cold and rainy or perfectly marvelous.

How are you doing your Tuscany portion?
If you are not renting a car, I suggest staying in Florence and taking the bus to Siena for a day.

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:42 AM

I can understand your fiance's view in visiting Rome. We first went a few years ago. We were traveling through Austria and Italy and my husband absolutely had to go to Rome. Personally I had no desire but wanted to make him happy so we went. Now he loves to bring that fact up because Rome is now my favorite European city. The atmosphere, culture, food and unbelieveable history...I could go on an on! But people on here seem to have a love hate relationship with it. I feel about Florence the way many people feel about Rome. Try to go with an open mind; you may surprise yourself and learn to love it like I did!

Rome shouldn't be too hot in October, so that should be a bonus. I've only been during off peak season (March and December), and prefer to keep it that way. It wasn't too crowded and the weather has been great.

Unfortunately I can't give you much advice about the Amalfi Coast as I have yet to make it there. I can certainly understand your concern though. Hopefully you will get some great responses from people who have been.

Tracy

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Ira,

We will be renting a car while in Tuscany. So we can explore on our own. And then I have been told that its not a far train ride to Florence if Tuscany is our home base for that portion of the trip.