Honeymoon Help Please!!!!!

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Help Please!!!!!

After countless hours on this board I think I have decided to spend my honeymoon in Italy..... Now I need everyone's help please!!

So we arrive in Rome on Monday about 8:30 am and would like to spend the first half down at the coast. We are not renting a car so we need some advice on how we should get down there. Then once we are down there where should we go and stay? I would love to stay at Le Sirenuse , but the budget only allows for a standard room with no view and that does not make any sense. I have contacted Villa Rosa and that seems great but am I going to be disapointed with no pool and no ammenities like Le Sirenuse. I would really love your help.....

After Positano we are thinking of staying 3 night's on Capri at the Casa Morgano ( I am open to suggestions on other choices though.
Would you suggest we go to Capri firt or Positano first. We would also love to visit Pompeii and need a suggestion how we should incorporate this in our trip.

We are then back up to Rome to spend 5 nights, is that to long??? If so we can do another night on the coast, I would love to stay at Palazzo Sasso.... I have contacted Albergo Del Senato and they have a Suite with a balcony available for 350 euro a nt. Is that worth it or is there somehwhere even better in that price range or less.

I really appreciate all this , since this is my first trip to Italy and my honeymoon I am trying to make it as perfect and memorable as possible and still trying to stay within my budget..

Kind Regards,,,

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:50 AM
LJ

Can't help you out with Positano end (others will, I am sure) but here's my two cents re: Rome.

First, if you are taking an overnight flight into Rome and arriving there after wedding and all, do book a good downtown hotel and rest up and enjoy your first day in town rather than trying to figure out trains and wrestle luggage after jet lag.

Book hotel for early arrival, nap, walk and get rehydrated and well-fed and have a good nights sleep, THEN go to the train station and head to the coast.

And, NO "fairsat" 5 days is not too much time in Roma. There are those who would claim that 5 years in Rome is not enough.

We didn't fall in love our first trip (it was August, very hot and crowded and we picked the wrong hotel) but have been a dozen times since and absolutely adore the place.

Get a couple of really good guidebooks and do yr. Rome research and I am sure you will consider it a great balance to your lazy days on the coast. Rome is VERY romantic, the quality of light, the antiquity, the mysterious alleyways that lead to hidden squares and fountains, that little restaurant that will become "your" place...its a great place for a first honeymoon. I know this for sure because we are planning our 24th anniversary for there right this minute.Best wishes on your forthcoming event!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Please help with this,, I know this is a common subject but it is important to the individuals who post these heoneymoon questions... Thank you
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Lj ,, Thank you for the info!!! Any info on hotels in Rome???
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:09 AM
LJ

I tell you my problem with Rome hotels is ignorance- we always stay at the same one (the Hotel Columbia nr. the Termini). We stay there for sentimental reasons and because it is next door to the Opera which is vital to my husband. It is not likely to be considered romantic by anybody but us-dull area, little in the way of views from window, no room service or frills like that.It does have a very nice outdoor roof-garden for breakfast and sunset drinks, though.

Can I suggest you post again with the specific request re: Romantic Hotels for honeymoon in Rome and give yr. budget?You might also check past threads on this...once again, good luck!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:18 AM

LJ,

I'm staying at the new Exedra Hotel on the Piazza Republican. New 5 star hotel. Is the Termini area walkable to other parts of the city? I'm OK with dull as long as accesible. The hotel is luxury and at a discount now, but I'm wondering is the $300-$400 worth the inconvenience of not staying in Spanish Steps, Navona, etc. What was your experience near the Opera?
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Bootman4U

Having been to Rome many times I am still baffled by everyone's supposed fixation on the Spanish Steps...as some place they have to be "near." Why? Do people go there every day they are in Rome to secretly wolf down a Big Mac or gaze at the Hassler at the top WISHING or pretending they were staying in that hotel

I would think a honeymoon should be romantic and spending money on a decent hotel for the first night after that plane ride is paramount..and I am NOT talking about some of these "make do" places so many people keep trying to convince us are "OK." And in this case, I DOUBT that the poster is in the "only going to sleep and change your clothes in your hotel room so what's the bid deal?" category.

Have one less entree served at the reception and spend that money where it will be memorable!

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:30 AM

What time of year are you going to Italy? That usually makes a difference when making recommendations.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Lorac ,,

We are going September 8-19th!!!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 08:47 AM

fairst- I will leave Rome to the experts, but I will chime in on Capri,I usually stay at the Mamela- this web site maybe helpful to you: www.caprionline.com it list( hotels almost all of them, by catagory restaurants etc).
Many people comment that Capri is too touristy but those are usually the people that go for a day trip.You really have to spend the night to capture the magic of Capri.
In Positano- there are so many suggestions; I would do a search here under Positano hotels you will have lots to choose from.I stayed at the Plazzo Murat years ago & loved it- no pool, but beautiful coutyard and lovely rooms.
I suggest www.karenbrown,com for lots of great hotels suggestions.
A friend mine stayed at the Inn at the Spanish Steps, in Rome & loved it-refer to Karen Brown,above.
As for getting to Capri,I usually take a cab or hire a driver to take me from Rome to Naples, and then I take the hydrofiol.
You can take the train from Rome to Naples, but I like the luxury of being in a car with a/c.It's an indulgence, but worth it too me.
I have one last suggestion for Rome & that's to hire a great private guide.I have hired Peter Kilby, for my holiday this year.You can get his web site and email from www.slowtrav.com -click Italy & then tour guides.
Many Congrats.
Fluffy
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 09:10 AM

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming marriage. And IMHO, your choice of Italy for a honeymoon is excellent. Rome is a wonderful city and the Amalfi Coast is breathtaking. But you better get moving, because September is a popular time and reservations will become more difficult.

My suggestion for Rome usually is to stay in old Rome, Centro Storico, where you can meander down small, winding streets and find charming piazza, outdoor cafes, local bakeries, quiet churches with maginificent art, etc.

Rome also requires lots of walking and usually up and down hills and lots of steps...after all, there is so much to see and do. So it would be your choice to do lots of walking in Rome and then relax in Amalfi/Capri or vice versa...only you and your finance can decide that. My thoughts are that if you stay in Rome for five days, then go to Capri for three and then Amalfi for four, you will limit the times you change hotels which saves time for better things. But it would also make sense to stay the last night in Rome before your flight home.

Also, I would recommend Scala Reale for the greatest tours in Rome. Take a look at their Web site, www.scalareale.com. We thoroughly enjoyed their tour of the Vatican/Sistine Chapel...you just learn so much.

We weren't looking for romantic on our last trip, but we found the rooftop breakfasts in Rome to be outstanding. One Web site you might try for romantic hotels is www.charminghotels.it.

Have fun planning.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 09:46 AM
LJ

To Cotes: We like being nr. the Opera (Place Viminale) because there are some interesting hangouts there: Ristorante Abruzzessi, and others that singers frequent and St. Paul-within-the Walls for smaller concerts by the students. There is also a "real" market nearby that residents go to and many other small out-of-the-way spots, not touristy.This is working-class inner-city Rome. Additionally, as a plus, its nr to Termini where you can catch buses to everywhere if you get sick of walking or skip town altogether by hopping a train.

But, yes, its dingy and there can be pesky swarms of (potential) kiddy-pickpockets, which are much less bad than years past, but still an occasional intrusion.

You should do very well in the Piazza Republica and that 5 Star hotel sounds as if it will buffer you from problems very nicely!Good rate, too... I would not hesitate, personally. But neither would I recommend the area for a honeymoon: I hope you see the distinction I am drawing?
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 10:09 AM

LJ,

Thank you. I don't mind staying in a more "authentic local" area of the city. Any other restaurant/attraction recommendations nearby? As long as walking is safe to attractions in other areas, I'm OK. The hotel looks great with nice rooftop amenities.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:33 PM

fairsat,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I want to chime in as you are considering a very similar trip to what my husband and I just took less than a week ago (Rome, Positano, Capri and Pompeii) and even some of the same hotels so here are my 2 cents:

On Rome:
I think 5 days in Rome as you're thinking is great for a first trip. You should see everything without being rushed but definitely no down moments (never a problem in Rome). I have a 4-day itinerary that works very well to hit all key sites/areas so let me know if you want to see it. I cannot agree more with Bootman about the Spanish Steps. IMHO, SS is the Rome equivant of Times Sq. or Leicester Sq., good to see but I would never call it romantic. Since everywhere in Rome is so full of energy you don't need to be close to the SS for that unless you insist on walking by blasting stereos and designer shops all day long. It is actually more central to stay around the Pantheon/Novona area if you look at the map. That areas is right in the middle, 5-min walk to Trevi/Campo dei fiori, 10 to Colosseum/Forum and 20 min to Vatican and to Trastevere. Plus most people would agree the Pantheon/Novaona/ Trevi area is much more charming and romantic. We stayed at the del Senato and loved it. We have stayed at T+L 100 hotels in four continents and although del Senato is not in the same class, we were not at all disappointed and we thought it was a great bargain for Rome and for what you get. P. della Rotunda (where your room will be facing) is a very charming, always busy but never rowdy piazza. There were nice guitar or saxaphone musicians playing every night, making for nice background music in our room. The balcony rooms are nice. The Pantheon is literally in your face and you'll be in awe every time you look out especially at night, it is stunning. The double windows are very good at shutting out any street noise so no problem there. I also agree with another poster's suggestion to do a Scala Reale tour. We travel a lot, never did tours but the Vatican tour we did with SR was terrific.

On Positano:
We booked the Villa Rosa but ended up checking out after one night. Our room was very blandly decorated and the bathroom was no-thrill and very small. I have stayed at and joked about all the Schrager hotels with tiny bathrooms but the one at VR was a record. The walls were so thin that when the fax machine rang at 3am at the front desk, it woke us and a couple other rooms up. Don't get me wrong I can still see why some others think it's a good bargain as it certainly is for the area but the amenities are very minimal and I would not consider it special enough for a honeymoon.

I would suggest instead to stay at the Hotel Miramare. It had an even nicer view than that of the VR which was very nice (the VR is right above the Sirenuse so it's the same view). Almost every hotel in Positano has great view but Miramare is closest to the sea (on the side, not the middle of the concave) so instead of seeing other hotels and the gift shops and the beach below you, you're directly facing the sea. And you also get a nice view of all the hotels and gorgeous night view. It was T+L's 50 most romantic hotels in the world, also they have a private hotel boat that can take you out.

A suggestion is to go to Ravello (may be even spend the night, Villa Maria or Palumbo looked good and not as expensivce as the Palazzo Sasso). We did the Ravello concert and visited Villa Cimbrone and you should find them special enough for a honeymoon.

On Capri:
Hotel Luna has the best location and view of all hotels we saw. it is directly facing the sea (the cesear Augustas is the only other one but it is too out of the way to get to town center, but you may prefer that for a honeymoon). HL is a 3 min walk to all the shops and restaurants and also close to the hiking trails yet it feels very seluded and our room (245E) had a direct view of the Faraglioni (the famous rock). I recommend hiring a private boat. I think capri is best seen by spending an afternoon sailing around it. We saw many people crammed into one boat but for more privacy you may consider a private one. We used Giachinno, he was terrific and the price was great at 80E (if interested I'll dig out his number for you).

On Pompeii:
Don't see Pompeii without visitng the Naples Acheological Museum that now houses all the artifects from Pompeii. We did not like Naples but staying one night will allow you to go to Pompeii (easiest from Naples) and to see the museum. Trust me Pompeii itself is now all structures and stone walls, which those are amazing, you don't get to appreciate the magnitude of the full story without seeing the stuff and the casts of victims they found there. Also one night in Naples will help your Capri to Rome travel.

One Rome to Positano:
I recommend getting a car service from Naples (90E) or Rome if you can afford it (300E). Don't see it just as transportation. Our driver (Marcello) was fantastic, he was full of stories about Italy, life on the coast, etc.

Your travel route:
if you fly into Rome but prefer to do the coast before ending up in Rome, I recommend Rome airport to Naples (by train or by driver), spend one night to fight jet lag and do Pompeii, then hydrofoil to Capri, then ferry to Positano, then driver from Poitano to naples (then train) ot driver directly up to Rome. you may look into flying into naples and out of Rome instead of both way out of Rome.

Daphne
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 01:25 PM

I recommend the Poseidon in Positano. Lovely pool, great breakfast, very nice rooms with lovely balonies and excellent views.
FYI..on our honeymoon we wrote our thank-you notes on the plane going over to Europe. Took care of the obligation, and everybody was delighted to get the thank-you note mailed from Europe.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all , I have made arrangements at Villa Rosa but am leary . Has anyone stayed at Casa Morgano? Also how many nights would you suggest for each destination on the coast? I was thinking of staying 3 night on Capri then 2 in Positano and 1 at Pallazzo Sasso before heading back to Rome for 5 nights.

Thanks again
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:05 AM

Fairsat, my husband and I stayed at Villa Rosa for our honeymoon this past October and we loved it. The rooms were clean and quiet. The staff was very nice and breakfast on our balcony in the morning was perfect. For the price and the view I would stay again in a second. My only suggestion is to stay in one of the higher rooms up in the hotel. I think we were in room 18 or 19? The lower rooms are blocked views.
Overall, your days selected in each place sound good. We did about the same thing. One of the responses was to stay the first night in Rome and then head down to the coast. I 100% agree with that. Unless you have hired a private car to take you directly from the airport to the coast, stay a night (or 2 ) in Rome and then go down. Rome is beautiful...we are headed back this summer. Relax and enjoy yourselves. ...also good choice on Ravello, 1 night is enough. We were there for 3 days and although we loved it, it is very small.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 09:12 AM
rex

Very interesting. 1036 words in Daphne's lengthy post. So apparently, Fodors has once again raised the word count limit? (They also did it once before, transiently).

Those who sing the praises of terse answers (not me) will once again be chagrined.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Oops, sorry didn't know about any word limit rule. Guess I was so excited having just been back from my trip that I just started rambling on. Will be more disciplined next time. By the way Rex I heard about the del Senato in Rome from you and must thank you. We loved it! Daphne
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:03 PM

Testing for Rex, who is having trouble posting to this thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information